CX Bike Gallery

jubaeg

Re: CX Bike Gallery

Postby jubaeg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:52 am

I've had this rig for about 6 months, and have only just started riding it. A couple of weeks ago I rode from North West Sydney to Shellharbour [M7 to Campbelltown to Wedderburn to Bulli to Shellharbour]. A slight Google maps misunderstanding regarding whether you could go all the way along Wedderburn rd / Minerva rd to Appin meant that I had to back track through firetrails and I after a 2hr slog where I was pushing for about 30 mins I got back to Appin rd [along firetrail 10W and 10B], as I'm running tubeless 40mm tyres it was a fantastic ride and I can't wait to do more gravel and firetrail. I haven't quite mastered how to post a photo, so here is a link - Focus AX running 105s
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jzlOtsLf4KNeXAxb2

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 am

Here you are mate:

Nice rig by the way!

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am

ningnangnong wrote:Here you are mate:
Nice rig by the way!

Sweet, thanks for doing that. Quite a lengthy URL in there!
The bike is probably about 11KG (Alloy) and its just standard road bars, however it performed really well on the firetrail bits where I wasn't that much slower than I would have been on a MTB (the limiting factor being the operator), and then to glide onroad over any obstacle and bitumen seam and bump and all the other detritus that collects on the side of the road was such a pleasure.
I'd been patiently lurking on Gumtree/Facebook and eBay for about 18-24 months [dreaming about all those amazing carbon rigs] before I found this one second hand. The brakes are TRP cable then hydro at the caliper and I'd wanted full hydro, however they work as disc brakes should (160 front and rear I think). Am running 11-36 rear casette, and am about to put 50-34 on the front.

Have also done some firetrail around Castle Hill, and am planning on doing Wisemans to Bell and possibly Wisemans up the GNR (although I'll probably do MTB for that one given how gnarly the GNR is for the first 10k till Western Commission turn off.

Very happy to have a versatile rig to do road, gravel and firetrail.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm

jubaeg wrote:I've had this rig for about 6 months, and have only just started riding it. A couple of weeks ago I rode from North West Sydney to Shellharbour [M7 to Campbelltown to Wedderburn to Bulli to Shellharbour]. A slight Google maps misunderstanding regarding whether you could go all the way along Wedderburn rd / Minerva rd to Appin meant that I had to back track through firetrails and I after a 2hr slog where I was pushing for about 30 mins I got back to Appin rd [along firetrail 10W and 10B], as I'm running tubeless 40mm tyres it was a fantastic ride and I can't wait to do more gravel and firetrail. I haven't quite mastered how to post a photo, so here is a link - Focus AX running 105s
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jzlOtsLf4KNeXAxb2

do you have the full-route uploaded somewhere?
very interested to learn more :D

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm

caneye wrote:do you have the full-route uploaded somewhere?
very interested to learn more :D

Here it is. Wedderburn has a reasonable gorge to go through which is like a mini Berowra but a better road surface, and the firetrail 10W and 10B are in very good condition - just that I'd not planned to expend that kind of energy when I also had almost no mobile signal and dwindling water supplies. Bulli pass must have recently been resurfaced as it was in excellent condition. Also - I got quite lost touring the hills of Campbelltown so the route I took was probably collecting as many hills as possible, and there would be better routes through there.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1384057215
Enjoy - I will do it again but just go straight through Appin rd from Campbelltown, or even Picton when they complete the road works.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:33 pm

I decided I 'needed' a bike for the summer CX racing season but took too long. I nearly clicked on a brand new dirt cheap 105 Focus Mares whilst accumulating parts, but now glad i waited. If it breaks first race i'll look like a twat but then i'll have to build something else. It's not the dollars so much as the thrill of the chase.
Here's my new (to me) build up from the parts bin.
Many thanks to queequeg and Celeste boy for their incredibly generous donations of surplus parts.
Frame came from kerbside, a FLUID 29er, most likely a flatbar... dunno as i only got the bare alloy hydroformed frame. I checked it over closely, stripped the logos and resprayed all except the chain stays which quite aptly are stickered 'go with the flow...' I will probably sticker bomb it or make some nice loud vinyl wrap.
Carbon/alloy fork from queequeg.
Avid BB7s also from queequeg with generic 160mm rotors (painted centres black).
Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed ergo shifters and rear mech. I was going to fit Campy 11 speed but in the end couuldn't justify the $$$. 13-29 freewheel with NW 44 tooth from parts bin. Seems a good range at present. Not that many years/kilos ago, I used to be able to climb on my old 'red pig' shimergo cx with 1 x 8 (49/30) so it should do the do around here ( Adelaide's east).
Celeste boy donated me a Campagnolo front mech to play with ( i was going to pull it apart and reverse the linkage to make a top pull) but it was too big so bike is 1 x at present.
FSA carbon cranks. Paul chain catcher thingamee.
Jet black BB also from the roadside reconditioned with new bearings.
Thomson seatpost (27.2) and 30 year old Selle italia Flite.
Thomson 110mm stem. Weird old school super long reach/drop alloy bars. These are great for bunny hops as the reach is long enough to resemble a set of bar ends!
Waiting on a set of short reach/drop bars to complete. I will also change stem to 90/100mm I reckon as TT is quite long.
China carbon 50 mm clincher wheel set I rebuilt with brass nipples. WTB cross wolf 33mm cx treads. Will try and ghetto tubeless soon. Not sure as i haven't tried to ghetto carbon wheels before.
So far so good and 9.93 kg!
Just had a cortisone shot in my knee so initial long ride will not be until next weekend. Will chuck it in the car and do Jupiter creek/Kuitpo trails from Mylor. Any one want to come?
Last edited by boyracer on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Very tasty.
Mmm, SunTour

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:27 pm

It's come up very nicely. The Winwood fork is a perfect match!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:54 pm

Yes, very very nice. Particularly impressive that its so light. Good job.