Accident in Osborne Park last night 25-Jun-08

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Accident in Osborne Park last night 25-Jun-08

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:30 am

Did anyone see the accident in Osborne Park on the dual-use path, just south of Hector St?

Two riders collided, one came off with minor scratches, the other taken away in the ambulance. Hope he is OK.

This has got to be the worst section of the northern section of the Perth Bicycle Network, and needs to be corrected by closing off those feed roads (ie McDonald St and Hector St West) to allow for a continuous path in this area.
rolandp

by BNA » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:48 pm

BNA

Re: Accident in Osborne Park last night 25-Jun-08

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:48 pm

rolandp wrote:Did anyone see the accident in Osborne Park on the dual-use path, just south of Hector St?

This has got to be the worst section of the northern section of the Perth Bicycle Network, and needs to be corrected by closing off those feed roads (ie McDonald St and Hector St West) to allow for a continuous path in this area.

Yes... I've always been extremely careful on this section, crappy narrow, sectioned concrete and vehicles from all directions. It's strange how small sections of the northern path appear to have been ignored for a long time.
Also the uneven concrete section south of Karrinyup Rd.

btw I rarely use the Osborne Park section anymore.
I think there is a plan to take the PSP north along the east side of the freeway and then under Hutton St....
cavebear2

Postby DrJ » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:48 pm

cavebear2 wrote:Yes... I've always been extremely careful on this section, crappy narrow, sectioned concrete and vehicles from all directions. It's strange how small sections of the northern path appear to have been ignored for a long time.
Also the uneven concrete section south of Karrinyup Rd.

btw I rarely use the Osborne Park section anymore.
I think there is a plan to take the PSP north along the east side of the freeway and then under Hutton St....

That section of the path has got to the ludicrous point where I cross over and ride through the industrial estate, rather than riding over that section. I sure hope you're right about the plan to upgrade that part - hopefully they can put in tunnels at Karrinyup Rd and Cedric St while they're at it.

I always get SO jealous of the SOR mob when I drive to Margs or Pemby and see that unbroken strip of red asphalt that parallels the Kwinana Fwy.
DrJ

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:01 pm

DrJ wrote:I always get SO jealous of the SOR mob when I drive to Margs or Pemby and see that unbroken strip of red asphalt that parallels the Kwinana Fwy.

:) it's not all perfect

There's a few blind corners, particularly at underpasses, that lots of people seem to love taking at speed, in the middle of the path. That freaks me out. I ring my bell when approaching, often yelling "bike"..... but it's only a small minority I encounter doing the same, heading in the opposite direction
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby Matty » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:23 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
DrJ wrote:I always get SO jealous of the SOR mob when I drive to Margs or Pemby and see that unbroken strip of red asphalt that parallels the Kwinana Fwy.

:) it's not all perfect

There's a few blind corners, particularly at underpasses, that lots of people seem to love taking at speed, in the middle of the path. That freaks me out. I ring my bell when approaching, often yelling "bike"..... but it's only a small minority I encounter doing the same, heading in the opposite direction

Definitely some blind corners on a few underpasses. Some of them are on the downhill too which makes it doubly dangerous.

Hope the guy taken away was okay.
Matty

Return to General discussion