Talk me out of a Trek 1.2/Giant Defy 3

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Talk me out of a Trek 1.2/Giant Defy 3

Postby TonyMax » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:05 pm

I was at my LBS today talking about working my way up to the 110km Big Canberra Ride in March and they suggested that I'd be much better off on an entry level road bike than my Giant Elwood SE hybrid. Less flex, more efficient etc.

If I was going to get a road bike I know that being fitted is a good idea (which can happen at the shop) but should I be looking at Trek 1.2, Giant Defy 3 or similar or looking around the ACT second hand?

I'm sure a good part of it is because it's red and white but I also like the looks of this:

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102269245

Throw your opinions at me, I've probably got until Christmas to shop around, even though second hand bikes might not be on the market that long.

If it helps I'm 6'ish fairly normally proportioned and currently ~85kg. My Elwood struggles when I'm out of the saddle really smashing power into it in high gears up hills.

Cheers,

Tony
TonyMax

by BNA » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:45 pm

BNA

Re: Talk me out of a Trek 1.2/Giant Defy 3

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Ride both and see which one feels best for you.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby TonyMax » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:07 pm

The Apollo ended up being too small in the frame, but I'm now also looking at Reid and Cell bikes, the second hand late model road bike market seems to not have much traffic in the ACT.
TonyMax

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Whats your budget?
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby nescius » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:14 pm

Sometimes some good deals can pop up in the CCC classifieds section - see here

Vikings also have a classifieds section here
Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby TonyMax » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks for the tips, will keep an eye out there. Budget is less than $1000, preferably much less (best possible bike at bottom dollar etc. etc.).

It's really just for fun and fitness and to ride on my goal ride BCBR next year and onwards.
TonyMax

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Nobody

Postby lobstermash » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Reid have a pretty good deal going on the Falco Sport and Falco Advanced. If you use the promo code 'VIP' you get another 10% off (=Sport for a shade over $500). Stick some Fulcrum 5s from Cell (~$250) on there and you've got yourself a very capable bit of bike.

If the Reids weren't on sale, I'd rate the Cell Swift.
lobstermash

Postby TonyMax » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:52 pm

That's a cracker of a deal, if it's still that price at Christmas time I know what I want for Christmas :). Thanks for the tip on the Reid.
TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Alright, so I'm going to the Reid Sydney store on the weekend to look at the Falco Sport. Given that the components are mostly a known quantity and I haven't had a road bike since my old Repco 12 speed that I got for Christmas in the 1980s, what should I be looking/feeling for?

Hopefully the shop staff will be able to fit me/advise me on size, other than that do I just pays my money and take my chances with this "cheap" bike?

I really have no idea what I'm looking at as far as what's in a road bike, and also have no idea why I would be better off with a Trek 1.2 over the Falco Sport other than:

Trek being a better known brand, with after sales support available easily locally from the retailer.
Reid being hundreds of dollars cheaper with higher grade componentry (Tiagra).
TonyMax

Postby macca33 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:25 pm

TonyMax wrote:Alright, so I'm going to the Reid Sydney store on the weekend to look at the Falco Sport. Given that the components are mostly a known quantity and I haven't had a road bike since my old Repco 12 speed that I got for Christmas in the 1980s, what should I be looking/feeling for?

Hopefully the shop staff will be able to fit me/advise me on size, other than that do I just pays my money and take my chances with this "cheap" bike?

I really have no idea what I'm looking at as far as what's in a road bike, and also have no idea why I would be better off with a Trek 1.2 over the Falco Sport other than:

Trek being a better known brand, with after sales support available easily locally from the retailer.
Reid being hundreds of dollars cheaper with higher grade componentry (Tiagra).

The difference could simply be that Reid Cycles do not spend mega-millions on sponsoring teams / riders per annum, thus, their bike pricing can be a tad sharper...

I'm sure that the Reid Falco would be close (possibly better) to the Trek, performance-wise.

I like lobstermash's idea about the Fulcrum R5s - it would make for a good combination.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 - Ultegra6700 | CAAD10 Team - DA7800

macca33

Postby TonyMax » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:37 am

So, thanks to everyone that offered advice and ways to save money, I picked up the Falco Sport yesterday from the Sydney store for the available online price of $512. I haven't taken it for much of a ride, all it really needs is some SPD pedals and I'll be ready to go, I might give it a shakedown next weekend.

It seems to be better value for money and better spec. than either the Trek or Giant entry level road bikes so here's hoping it's a happy story.

It was amazing even riding it around the block where the shop is, climbing the little hill in the back lane was like chalk and cheese over my current hybrid machine.
TonyMax

Return to Buying a bike / parts