Australian Cyclists Party Launched!

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Austalian Cyclists Party Launched!

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:30 am

May I suggest that this political discussion, which according to the rules.. hehe.. ;)

About time - provided it isn't a front for someone else. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to join unless I resign my current employment (conflict of interests).
g-boaf

by BNA » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 am

BNA

Postby jonbays » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 am

Is BNA promoting a new political party or just commenting on the news that one is being mooted?

I would love to see cycling issues handled better by politicians form all sides of politics rather than another single issue party being created which from bitter experience very quickly degrades to a power play for wannabe politicians to boost their own fragile ego's.

I would support BNA as a lobby group but not as an advertising arm of the Australian Cyclists party.

P.S. nothing against Omar here by the way I was thinking of another party which you might also easily guess.

g-boaf wrote:May I suggest that this political discussion, which according to the rules.. hehe.. ;)

About time - provided it isn't a front for someone else. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to join unless I resign my current employment (conflict of interests).
jonbays

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:39 am

On the political discussion rules - that is why I made the original comment. If it we avoid it becoming a place to create differences then it will be fine.

On BNA and the relationship - I am happy to clarify this. When I was contacted I said that BNA needs to remain independent from the political party though as this is cycling relevant will provide coverage. I am conscious that everyone is entitled to their views and while this news will be of interest for some - it remains in context of news. That said - with the contact I have with Omar and the lack of active contact from other political parties on cycling issues, the coverage will naturally be skewed. When the previous government released their alternative transport plan I also publicised this.

I am next fielding a number of questions to the Australian Cyclists Party and welcome community input - yes, they can be the tough questions, please keep these short bullet point style items.

On BNA as a lobby group - this is not our role. We advocate cycling such as with recent the Vote4Cycling campaign and through the BNA website as an information resource and community though are not an advocacy group. As a community of different personalities and opinions - I am cautious about publically representing particular views.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:24 am

I sure as hell hope those involved with the Vote4cycling debacle aren't pulling the strings on this as well. If that ends up being the case I just dont want to know.
Last edited by The 2nd Womble on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 am

1. One of the most common themes on here is regrettably people getting cut off, driven at (as in your case), run off the road or worse, hit by motorists and suffering serious injury. :( My question, with respect to that is what kind of legislation will such a party bring forward to counter these incidents? Tougher legislation that protects vulnerable road users is essential, with additional tougher legislation against red-light-runners of all types, be it cars, trucks, buses, pedestrians and or cyclists.

2. The other usual gripe is lack of planning on infrastructure like bike tracks. You can see numerous examples of useful bike-tracks which stop just short of where they need to go to be truly useful and effective, dumping people onto high traffic roads or making them use a lengthy and hilly diversion. This won't encourage more people to ride bikes and leave their cars at home. What will be done to correct these planning oversights?

And I totally agree with The 2nd Womble RE: The above reply.
g-boaf

Postby clackers » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:19 pm

A minor party needs a lot more skill than a major party. It has to come from behind in aligning itself with voters and other parties. One problem of the Wikileaks organization was that apart from the single issue of helping Assange's legal troubles, its candidates had contradictory views on every other topic politicians are supposed to have views on and could rightly be mocked.
clackers

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:38 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:I sure as hell hope those involved with the Vote4cycling debacle aren't pulling the strings on this as well.

What debacle? Vote4cyling was a really positive initiative and for the first time all of the major cycling bodies were united - plus a number of community bodies such as BNA and as it continued a number of additional organisations and bugs (etc) expressed interest and got onboard. The initiative was however met by the following three challenges:
- Timing - for more effective promotion an earlier launch would have enabled more organisation and coordination
- Competition - during election time there are hundreds of competing topics and it is very difficult to get a voice for what is, in the grand scheme, a comparatively small topic on the election and media agenda
- Access - all of the election candidates were approach to respond with their policy however the major parties essentially blocked most communication meaning that a relatively generic 'entire' party response was the limit to the input while I understand that the most responses were from independents.

So in the case of the Australian Cyclists Party - I understand that some of the same people are involved though don't yet know many details so will take the opportunity in my upcoming interview. I can guarantee that there is an incredible amount of passion for cycling and a passion to improve he status quo for cyclists although investing passion, skill and time into a cause doesn't guarantee success.

As suggested before - if this initiative doesn't appeal or interest you, thats fine. However we should recognise that as cyclists this is still a movement that aims to improve it for us so will have a much harder time of achieving anything if there movement against them from the very group they wish to represent.

Omar Khalifa provides further details about the intentions in coverage in Fairfax media today. He confirms that it is in the earlier stages and it is up to the members to help form the policies and agenda. Australian Cyclists Party plans upper house bids in Victoria, NSW
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:40 pm

I think that pigeonholing the the justifiable skepticism of a few of us as not giving Omar a fair go is a tad presumptive. If the following list of partners in the Vote4cycling campaign are backing Omar's campaign now then of course it will be expected to fail. 90% of these groups are already on the wrong side of the majority of politically aware cyclists. Hopefully the Devil is absent in the detail as time unfolds, but I'm outa here the second a State Org rates a mention. Take a look at the partners list from the last political foray. http://vote4cycling.com.au/partnership/

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

BTW I am actually hoping for the best from a new political party and would love to become involved in any way I can. Experience however sees me watching the horizon for the Canibal Apocalypse.

The 2nd Womble

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Most of the organisations can't align with the political party as it is a political party - so if you have genuine interest for SCA or yourself there is probably a high chance that most state cycling advocacy bodies won't be affiliated.

In my view - the challenge that the party would face is less to do with getting the awareness among cyclists (or requiring specific partnerships), instead that cyclists are a diverse range of people who have different agenda's and interests i.e. they may have stronger political views or interests in other topics and cycling doesn't rate as highly.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Really hoping so Chris. The time is right for this.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:51 am

Talk of tackling MHL's and depicting helmetless riders in official party promos and headers? I'm seriously disturbed. Depicting all cyclists as helmetless law breakers, way to launch a legimate political challenge.

The 2nd Womble

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Having this topic as a party policy will divide people.
If they don't want this topic to drag them back they can only do what other organisations do - be aware of it but not get involved in the debate. That said, they would also have to ensure that their policy (of no participation in this topic) is part of their core as it is likely to come up again and again.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rebilda » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:43 pm

I saw the story on the BNA website front page and I signed up.

I figured that it was probably more constructive to have a recognised political party, to represent the Cycling community than to log on to a forum and just whinge and bitch about what happened "on the ride into work this morning"
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2
rebilda

Postby David_G » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:09 pm

I've signed up as a non financial member, and once they (we) announce some policies I'll either pay for a membership or resign. I'm very interested in politics so if the policies aren't in some sort of line with my beliefs that will be how I judge what to do next. I hope they don't get into the MHL bunfight as it will end up only in tears as far as I can see.
If I do stay I imagine I'l give them my first vote and then go to the major party I support as a second preference. So that'll mean voting below the line in the senate, which will make it a long afternoon .
After the success of other small parties at the last election I think the floodgates will be open even further at the next election if the system stays as it is.
A lot of these small parties are closer to the moon than reality, but they still have every right to put themselves up for election in a democracy, so I hope the system isn't modified fro what we've got now.
I just love riding my bike!
David_G

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Same as David_G
Scarfy96

Postby DavidS » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:47 pm

Small parties, next election? Imagine if it's a double dissolution.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:48 am

A disclaimer: I have applied to join as a member of the Australian Cyclists Party.

I have applied to join with the intention of being a member as an individual and not on behalf of Bicycles Network Australia. I am aware of the need to avoid a conflict of interest and will endeavour, within the Bicycles Network Australia framework to make it perfectly clear should I make any comments which are a personal opinion and related to the polical party.

On BNA we also publish news - such as the announcement of the launch of the party so will ensure that a disclosure is made.

Within Bicycles Network Australia it is inevitable that further news on the party is published however I will be conscious that news is presented fairly and that BNA is not a communication tool of the political partical which also means that should any other Australian political partys alert me to relevant news - the news will be judged on its own merits before publishing and not influenced by my personal connection.

To add a level of accountability - I proposed that any new threads (topics) that I wish to create in the forum which related to the political party are checked and approved first by the other forum moderaters. Likewise any news published will be checked by one other person.

While this approach may be over the top - and members who know me personally or through the forums recognise that I encourage fair discussion - I want to formalise this to limit information published that would be conceived as being in conflict of interest or unfairly favouring this party.

This also means that I am open to feedback on this - though I suggest not in this thread - rather in the forum feedback section.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 am

AUbicycles wrote:A disclaimer: I have applied to join as a member of the Australian Cyclists Party.

I have applied to join with the intention of being a member as an individual and not on behalf of Bicycles Network Australia. I am aware of the need to avoid a conflict of interest and will endeavour, within the Bicycles Network Australia framework to make it perfectly clear should I make any comments which are a personal opinion and related to the polical party.

On BNA we also publish news - such as the announcement of the launch of the party so will ensure that a disclosure is made.

Within Bicycles Network Australia it is inevitable that further news on the party is published however I will be conscious that news is presented fairly and that BNA is not a communication tool of the political partical which also means that should any other Australian political partys alert me to relevant news - the news will be judged on its own merits before publishing and not influenced by my personal connection.

To add a level of accountability - I proposed that any new threads (topics) that I wish to create in the forum which related to the political party are checked and approved first by the other forum moderaters. Likewise any news published will be checked by one other person.

While this approach may be over the top - and members who know me personally or through the forums recognise that I encourage fair discussion - I want to formalise this to limit information published that would be conceived as being in conflict of interest or unfairly favouring this party.

This also means that I am open to feedback on this - though I suggest not in this thread - rather in the forum feedback section.

I can see a very clear political bias in this post. How do you warn yourself?

The 2nd Womble

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:26 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:A disclaimer: I have applied to join as a member of the Australian Cyclists Party.

I can see a very clear political bias in this post. How do you warn yourself?

He doesn't have to, I'm watching him like a hawk. One toenail over the line and I ban him for a week :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:27 am

Phew!

The 2nd Womble

Postby hannos » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:35 am

Mulger bill wrote:He doesn't have to, I'm watching him like a hawk. One toenail over the line and I ban him for a week :twisted:

Do I see a hostile take-over of BNA on the cards? :twisted:
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:31 am

hannos wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:He doesn't have to, I'm watching him like a hawk. One toenail over the line and I ban him for a week :twisted:

Do I see a hostile take-over of BNA on the cards? :twisted:

Not a chance, too much respect for the bloke and not enough time.
I did give him a warning for language once... :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:08 am

And I will never forget it.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:31 am

More in today's SMH Pedal power: motorists' poll guru changes gear
Having garnered national attention helping the Motoring Enthusiast Party snag a Senate spot, the man dubbed the ''preference whisperer'', Glenn Druery, is turning his focus to NSW politics.

Mr Druery will throw his expertise behind the fledgling Australian Cyclists Party, which is targeting an upper house seat at the 2015 state election.

''This is real for me - cycling is a big part of my life,'' he said on Friday. ''I've had several friends killed both here and overseas on the road. There needs to be a changing of attitudes from some motorists towards cyclists.''

Mr Druery - who made his name organising upper house micro-parties at the 1999 NSW election - was behind the preference swap deals that led to Ricky Muir, of the Motoring Enthusiast Party, landing a Senate seat at the federal election.

Mr Druery said he was approached by the ACP's founder, Omar Khalifa, several weeks ago.

While he acknowledged NSW's optional preferential voting system meant his Senate trick cannot be replicated at a state level, Mr Druery will give advice on everything from registration to campaigning and preferencing.

He will not be paid for the work, nor will he consider being a candidate or sitting on the party's executive.
find_bruce

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion