Clydsedale Wheels, for riders around 100kg.

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Clydsedale Wheels, for riders around 100kg.

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Another wheel thread....
I am 188cm and floating around 100kg.
Riding R501//1900g wheels on the Scott Foil and looking to upgrade. Running on continental 4000s 25's (clincher)
Have a budget of around $700.
A bit of internet work has led me to the American Classic Hurricanes. $650//1600 grams. http://goo.gl/rQUEUH (can be ridden clincher)
The LBS can supply but also likes the Fulcrum 3's read the thread on here and the comments concern me with spokes going pop. $550//1550g so weight is much the same.
I ride hills and like fast descents, I take part in 40k group rides 2-3 times per week avg 30kph. Ideally I need to lose the weight rather than the wheels, but new wheels are nice! Any other recommendations?
P.S. I also seem to be magnetically attracted to potholes and other bumps in the road, so durability is a must. :)
Wakatuki

by BNA » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:13 pm

BNA

Re: Clydsedale Wheels, for riders around 100kg.

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:13 pm

Have you had any issues with your R501's ?
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Fulcrum 3's can be had cheaper than that, mine cost me ~$450 a month ago. Unfortunately I cant give you more than that, im not allowed to ride them until Santa officially gives them to me :(
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:40 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Have you had any issues with your R501's ?

Hi Jacks glad you spotted this thread..

Issues, not really I have bent the rim during a total pot hole blow out using the supplied 23 tyre. Just noticed a bit of loose spokes too. And on occasion when climbing out of the saddle in a big gear going for pain over brains, they have almost felt like they where rubbing the brakes under flex, is that how you tell if it has flex?
A friend recommened the 42mm Bracciano but not sure on the weight rating.
Wakatuki

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Ksyrium's ... Hold up to my abuse and I use them for CX racing too... I wouldn't have said that with older models but the new ones are great.
Also have a set of Fulcrum Racing 3's... But I can't comment on them until I give them a good thrashing... Which won't be until next Spring.
Have Ultegra wheels on the winter bike.
toolonglegs

Postby macca33 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:59 pm

I have Fulcrum R1s, R3s and R5s and weigh more than you do. Apart from one spoke on the R1s (which are secondhand with at least 15k on them) popping the other week - caused when I placed too much lateral force on the wheel whilst performing the slipping off a nasty road edge manoeuvre - I've had no problems with any of them.

If you're concerned about R3s - which I wouldn't be - then go for the R5s - they are a very under-rated wheelset.

If you want stupidly bombproof - but heavy - go for Pro-Lite Comos - they are fantastic value.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

macca33

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Wakatuki wrote:

Issues, not really I have bent the rim during a total pot hole blow out using the supplied 23 tyre. Just noticed a bit of loose spokes too. And on occasion when climbing out of the saddle in a big gear going for pain over brains, they have almost felt like they where rubbing the brakes under flex, is that how you tell if it has flex?

Yes, that's the wheels flexing. FWIW I've got Mavic Open Pros on Dura Ace hubs with 32 spokes and I've never looked like flexing them.

I like the look of those 42mm Bracciano too. There's not much else around in deep alloy rims. I'd love to put some "bling" on my bike, but at the same height and weight as you I know 50mm carbon wheels probably aren't the smartest idea. :-)
Litespeed Tuscany Ti & Trek 8000 rigid MTB
BrisVegas

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Just a thought, is having customs built worth it, within my budget and any recommendations near me?

I do seem to see a vegimite type split on fulcrums seems some Monday morning and Friday afternoon stock does escape the factory.
Wakatuki

Postby Carrots » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Can't recall what the latest going price is, but for $850-900 you should be able to pick up some Shimano RS80 C50s Clinchers. I have these on one of my bikes and am a bit taller and heavier than yourself and have had no issues with them.
Carrots

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Wakatuki wrote:

At 100kg, I recommend using 25mm tyres. If you are flexing your existing wheels into the brakes that isn't good and is definitely possible, open the brakes a little wider and if you want to know for sure you can use a whiteboard marker on the braking surface then ride up your favourite climb and check it out at the top. Or use a saddle mounted gopro if you have one?

The Bracciano A42 is still very new, I've done road testing with a strong 90kg rider and they were solid. I havn't seen a 100kg rider on them but I'm not too worried. One of my clients reports hitting a pot hole at 70km/ph blowing both tyres and not a mark on the rims so my feeling is that they'd be completely fine.

The Como or Garda I am sure will hold you, why not get two sets and treat yourself to the Bracciano A42 once you drop another say 10kg ?
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:12 pm

I've got a set of custom TWE's and I've happily used them (AT) 115kg with no issues whatsoever. Laced 28/24. Greg builds very strong sets of wheels
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby rjk » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:37 am

i am 100kg, i have shimano rs80's 3 years now still straight and true, i have gp4000s 23mm on them.

I have ridden that bike everywhere, i would highly recommend them

At 1486g without skewers, this is a light wheelset
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane
rjk

Postby rjk » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:40 am

Carrots wrote:Can't recall what the latest going price is, but for $850-900 you should be able to pick up some Shimano RS80 C50s Clinchers. I have these on one of my bikes and am a bit taller and heavier than yourself and have had no issues with them.

for that amount of money he should be able to get the dura-ace c24 clinchers
rjk

Postby visrealm » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:30 am

I'm around 95kg now, but was around 105kg when I first got my Fulcrum R3's. Have done 10,000kms on them. Only issue I've had is a dodgy freehub which I suspect wasn't right from new. Other than that they've been perfect, never needed truing, no spoke issues. I also run them with tubeless tyres (they're not the two-way fit models though)

Troy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
'12 Avanti Cadent 1.0 (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
visrealm

Postby boyracer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 am

What TLL said. Ksyriums.
I am192 cm, now 103kg. I only do 'beach road' fixed ( wheel option #2: handbuilt alloy h+ son 42's to white industies hubs...still < your budget if you build yourself). I haven't weighed 'em but they are suprisingly light for 32 spoke wheels. They are machined for brakes.
On roadie the 'aero' of the new style 35-50mm deep roadie wheel is lost to me as all rides are climb ~1000m then fast as on all descents. I also jump kerbs/ medians/ small animals and ride CX on the ksyriums too.
The people who tell me on the way up that Ksyriums churn too much air with their thick alloy spokes are the ones i have to wait for at the bottom of the hill!
I would not buy S/H unless rider known to you.
H+sons:
boyracer

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:51 am

I'm not really looking for 'aero' TBH. Need versitility. The DA C24s give a great read up. I have only saved enough for a rear wheel so far.:(
Wakatuki

Postby boyracer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:55 am

My bad. I shoulda looked at your links i s'pose. :oops:
Answer is still ksyriums.
boyracer

Postby rjk » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:03 am

Wakatuki wrote:I'm not really looking for 'aero' TBH. Need versitility. The DA C24s give a great read up. I have only saved enough for a rear wheel so far.:(

buy the rs80's then same rim and spokes just an ultegra level hub instead fo the dura-ace ones, very very similar
rjk

Postby cerb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

At 193cm, 106kg I consistently broke spokes of Shimano R500's then Fulcrum R5's, so I got a local shop to build me some wheels. I'm down to 87kg now, but still ride these same wheels for everything from 200km+ adventures to crit racing.

Build is: Velocity A23 rims with Ultegra 36h front and rear hubs, laced with DT SWISS competition triple butted spokes on rear and double butted on front + brass nipples all round. Cost $730 (2years ago) for all parts including the build. Fairly expensive as the parts were supplied by the shop, but they have been bomb-proof and without problems since.

Weight comes in at about 1.85kg for the pair! So they're not lightweights, but that shouldn't really be a concern if you want good durability.
cerb

Postby hudnut » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:37 pm

FWIW, I'm 193cm, was a fit 107kg, currently 101kg.

I've been running Braccianos with 23s for 12 months, and in the last week put on a 32 spoke alloy powertap wheelset with 25s.

I keep the brakepads close, and haven't had any problems with the Braccs from either truing, breaking spokes or flex.
The front powertap wheel flexes to touch the pads, even when I space them out a bit.

I don't know if I'm just easy on wheels, but I like the Braccs a lot.

Can't wait to try them out again after some quality time on the heavier powertap wheelset.
hudnut

Postby Dimis » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:27 pm

I own both DA C24s and Ksyriums SL (& Ksyrium SLRs FWIW).

The DA C24s roll better, are actually 100g lighter w/o skewers (mavic's scales must off, as I've never received a wheel-set from them that is close enough to their claimed weight to suggest they ought to be forgiven), and if I had to guess are more aero.

BUT... The Ksyriums, with the red hubs in my mind look better, and match my bike and kit better. hehe!

Both have proven true and tough enough over miles of riding, and can be picked up for around $500-700 bucks depending on age & condition.

I don't think you could go too far wrong with either.

I have never owned Fulcrums but have ridden them on occasions... they too are seemingly a solid wheel. Hard for me to honestly compare. they were on different bikes.

Good luck with your search
Dimis

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:33 pm

hudnut wrote:FWIW, I'm 193cm, was a fit 107kg, currently 101kg.

I've been running Braccianos with 23s for 12 months, and in the last week put on a 32 spoke alloy powertap wheelset with 25s.

I keep the brakepads close, and haven't had any problems with the Braccs from either truing, breaking spokes or flex.
The front powertap wheel flexes to touch the pads, even when I space them out a bit.

I don't know if I'm just easy on wheels, but I like the Braccs a lot.

Can't wait to try them out again after some quality time on the heavier powertap wheelset.

Glad you are happy with the Bracciano's - If you like the A27, you should try out a set of the new Bracciano A42's !

Ask your wheel builder to increase the spoke tension on your front wheel, that will stiffen it up (or run your Bracciano on the front if you can deal with non-matching wheels - probably better that than a rubbing wheel).
jacks1071

Postby hudnut » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:39 pm

That was the original plan. The only reason I've got the powertap front is Wiggle had the wheelset for the same price as just the rear.
Figured I may as well get the front as well.

I think I'll probably have to give the never ending stream of cycling related gear arriving via post a rest for a bit before I go for A42s, lest I be castrated.
No doubt I'll be visiting family in Mackay in the next few months. Maybe I can sneak them back in the boot......
hudnut

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:58 am

hudnut wrote:No doubt I'll be visiting family in Mackay in the next few months. Maybe I can sneak them back in the boot......

That can definitely be arranged :-)
jacks1071

Postby TonyMax » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:47 am

Wakatuki wrote:Ideally I need to lose the weight rather than the wheels...

I don't want to derail your thread, but are you trying to shed kg? If so how, and do you have a target?

If you're not doing any other fitness work try getting up early and going for a half hour power walk before breakfast. Find something ~3km you can do starting and finishing at home. I've got a folder on my smart phone with music around 130 beats per minute and I walk in time with it, it helps me avoid going out and just strolling.

I've been doing this for some time now, not modifying my diet much and I've almost lost 10kg since the start of June.

Sure, buy new wheels if you like (I can't offer you any advice there sorry) but there's no harm in setting yourself a weight goal as well and trying to reach it.

:)
TonyMax

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts