UCI expected to approve Road Disc Brakes for 2016

g-boaf

Re: UCI expected to approve Road Disc Brakes for 2016

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:10 pm

CKinnard wrote:One of the main reasons I'd consider disc brakes is to accommodate wider tires >28mm.
I don't know of any side pull brakes that take them.
I presume some center pull brakes would. What's everyone's view/experience with rim brakes for wider tires?

GBoaf, I had no idea you are so light (compact!), a big advantage fitting into Italian super cars!

I used to be way unfit, I worked very hard to change that. I do okay in the hills. :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:47 pm

RobertL wrote:
CKinnard wrote:Why does any sub 70kg rider (most pro mountain stage winners) need disc brakes?

Not that it makes much difference, but if we're talking about the pro riders, then you have to consider the mountain stage losers as well as the winners. So you're looking at 80kg or maybe 85kg (max) sprinters descending those same hills.

All of whom are still lighter than most amateurs, to be sure.

It's completely irrelevant how the big sprinters descend on the big hills. They've already lost 10 minutes to the climbers who are off having their own battle. They could walk down as long as the don't miss the cutoff.. :mrgreen:

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Disc brakes are yet another chink in the armour of exclusivity when it comes to road racing. 26" wheels and knobby tyres have always been allowed (or at least not banned), similarly V brakes, however these were rarely used by the average punter who might want to race. Then disc brakes came along and eventually were being used on otherwise regular road bikes, so the barrier of rules was put up to keep the undesirables out.

It is the thin end of the wedge, what's next flat bars? 29" tyres? Before you know it people will be lobbing up to bike clubs on any old machine and will hope to get a start. I hope they have predominantly black shorts and white socks...
:evil: :twisted:
Cheers,

Cameron

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:25 pm

CKinnard wrote:One of the main reasons I'd consider disc brakes is to accommodate wider tires >28mm.
I don't know of any side pull brakes that take them.

You need to get out more. :D :D :D
Even the OMFG-buy-this-now-and-change-your-life cycling sites have tech shots from Paris-Roubaix every year showing 30mm or similar tyres with rim brakes. Usually side pulls but occasionally something else. Scroll back a few years for some real fun - cantis were popular a while back.

CKinnard wrote:I presume some center pull brakes would. What's everyone's view/experience with rim brakes for wider tires?

Quality centre pull calipers, with braze on mounts, are the ne plus ultra of rim brakes (if you look carefully you can even get them in hydraulic). The current "direct mount" brakes are basically centre pulls with vestigial side pull cable attachments. Pretty much the same as a Dia-Compe #610, but smaller.

Cantis are, on a good day, almost as good as centre pulls, but keeping them that way is a challenge as adjusting them to compensate for pad wear is an acquired skill.

Linear pull (a.k.a. MTB/Hybrid/City) brakes are the cheaper chicken, being almost as good and dead simple. IIRC Tektro do a decent short-pull (brifter compatible) set.

Both cantis and "linear pull" need forks with canti bosses braised on.

There's a dirty little secret that the industry doesn't want you to know: sidepull brakes exist with up to 95mm of reach and the ability to take 2" or larger tyres. Now you won't find them badged Dura Ace but they exist. Some (Tektro, Shimano) are pretty good, especially in the saner sizes (below 73mm).
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Disc wearing the polkadots

OMG! Discs will get me get UP the mountain! ImageImageImage
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ