Coloured Flashing Light

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Coloured Flashing Light

Postby ThinkPink » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Good Day All,

**First Ever Post**

I have recently installed a coloured flashing light for night riding (LED light is PINK), I have this along with a solid white beam light.

A friend of mine believes it may be illegal to have coloured lights, do we have any legal eagles on line here who can help me out?

Appreciate any feedback

TP
ThinkPink

by BNA » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 pm

BNA

Re: Coloured Flashing Light

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 pm

The common law is that the rear facing light needs to be read and the front facing light white.

If you have a pink light for flashing ahead, it is important that it is not red or can be interpreted as a red light. Likewise for a rear light, I would go for a definit 'red' rather than a light that may... or may not be red.

So what about other colours if you are running legal lights - it is a bit of a grey area and I spoke to the Police specifically about this (NSW) however except for submitting a light / devices to be tested / reviewed by the Police, was not provided with absolute clarity. A problem area are lights that have different meanings, such as a blue warning light which other road users may associate with Police and emergency vehicles.

I am sure some of the members will fish out the road rules, and there can be differences between each state.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Other than the stipulation that a rear facing light must be red and front facing light must be white (which i'm not sure is consistent across all states?) i believe there is a law prohibiting the use of lights that seek to mimic those of police, but i don't know exactly what.

I think if you have a red light on the back you would be able to have pink there as well without a problem. Green maybe, blue definitely not.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby ThinkPink » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Apologies,

To clear up the set-up I have.

On the rear I have x1 flashing red light.

However on the front I have x1 white beam, and a x1 flashing Pink light.

So I have met the legal requirements which I can find on line, however not sure if there is an obscure law prohibiting additional coloured lights.

Any feedback appreciated.
ThinkPink

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:33 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The common law is that the rear facing light needs to be read and the front facing light white.

If you have a pink light for flashing ahead, it is important that it is not red or can be interpreted as a red light. Likewise for a rear light, I would go for a definit 'red' rather than a light that may... or may not be red.

So what about other colours if you are running legal lights - it is a bit of a grey area and I spoke to the Police specifically about this (NSW) however except for submitting a light / devices to be tested / reviewed by the Police, was not provided with absolute clarity. A problem area are lights that have different meanings, such as a blue warning light which other road users may associate with Police and emergency vehicles.

I am sure some of the members will fish out the road rules, and there can be differences between each state.

I've seen a blue coloured flashing rear light. It is highly visible - but probably illegal. It's one of the worst things to follow as well, it's annoyingly bright.

I'm sure the OP's rear flashing light is fine. The white beam is okay on the front, the pink one I'm not sure.
g-boaf

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:33 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I am sure some of the members will fish out the road rules, and there can be differences between each state.

The WA rules can be found here:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /s224.html
WA Road Traffic Code 2000 wrote:224. Lights and other equipment on bicycles
(1) A person shall not ride a bicycle during the hours of darkness, or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility, unless the bicycle, or the rider, displays —
(a) a flashing or steady white light that is clearly visible for at least 200 m from the front of the bicycle; and
(b) a flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least 200 m from the rear of the bicycle; and
(c) a red reflector that is clearly visible for at least 50 m from the rear of the bicycle when light is projected onto it by a vehicle’s headlight on low‑beam.
Modified penalty: 2 PU

(snip)

(2C) A person shall not ride a bicycle that has affixed a reflector capable of reflecting red light in the forward direction.
Modified penalty: 1 PU

Under my reading of the WA rules the OP's setup would be legal in WA with the exception that WA requires both a rear red reflector and a red rear light. The essence of the WA rules seems to be if you have a front white light, a rear red light & reflector then any other lights you wish to add are fair game. A forward facing red light would seem to be technically legal (although obvious against the spirit of the rules) as only forward facing reflectors are controlled.
Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:41 pm

g-boaf wrote:I've seen a blue coloured flashing rear light. It is highly visible - but probably illegal. It's one of the worst things to follow as well, it's annoyingly bright.

Another section of the WA Road Traffic Code that may be relevant is Reg 186:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /s186.html

WA Road Traffic Code 2000 wrote:186. Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users
(1) A person shall not cause or permit a spot light or search light fitted or connected to any vehicle to be used to dazzle, or to be used in a manner likely to dazzle, another road user.
(snip)

Obviously any bicycle/cyclist mounted light that is likely to dazzle another road user is against the spirit of this regulation but the illegality of it would seem to depend upon if it can be classified as a spot light or search light.
Scott_C

Coloured Flashing Light

Postby harmonix1234 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:27 pm

Roads and transport authority act 1984 (NSW) was the most recent revision regarding mandatory mechanical requirements of bicycles.
It states that -
"All bicycles must have at least one functional braking mechanism, a bell or sound emitting device, and lights to be fitted from sunset to sunrise or in poor visibility. These lights must be white on the front and red on the rear".
The colours are picked red and white so all other road users know if you are oncoming, or travelling in the same direction.
Funnily, reflectors are not mandatory, but it is compulsory for bike shops to sell bikes with reflectors.

It appears as though it varies from state to state.
Only reason I know this is that when I lived in NSW a policeman pulled me over and tried to tell me that my bike was illegal because it had slick tyres, and next time he saw me on the road I'd better have some road legal treaded tyres otherwise my bike would be confiscated.
I spent ages googling all the legal requirements of bikes so i had all my info straight incase we had another run in and this is what i remember regarding the lights.
However, this was about three years ago so these may be subject to change and review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
harmonix1234

Postby wombatK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:39 pm

There are variations between states, both in the Road Rules and other Transport and Roads acts - so ThinkPink should post his location (profile is a good place to put it) if he wants specific advice.

The best place to get advice on matters such as this is to ring your local Traffic Sargent and ask him or her. Get his name and badge no so he understands you are going to rely on his advice should you ever get stopped by another of her majesty's finest.

Given that the law says you must have a decent white light, what's the point putting something else on that costs you extra and won't be understood by other road users ? High powered white LEDs are extremely effective - anything else is superfluous if not confounding.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:49 pm

I ordered a 4 pack of cheap LED flashing lights from ebay, though I was getting 2 white and 2 red. I got 2 white, 1 red and 1 blue. Who the heck wants a blue flashing light?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!
Mububban

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:58 pm

ThinkPink wrote:Good Day All,

**First Ever Post**

I have recently installed a coloured flashing light for night riding (LED light is PINK), I have this along with a solid white beam light.

A friend of mine believes it may be illegal to have coloured lights, do we have any legal eagles on line here who can help me out?

Appreciate any feedback

TP

Easily fixed. Rotate your pink light 90 degrees left. Now you have a warning light for cars approaching you from side streets/across intersections and the like.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Scott_C wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I've seen a blue coloured flashing rear light. It is highly visible - but probably illegal. It's one of the worst things to follow as well, it's annoyingly bright.

Another section of the WA Road Traffic Code that may be relevant is Reg 186:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /s186.html

WA Road Traffic Code 2000 wrote:186. Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users
(1) A person shall not cause or permit a spot light or search light fitted or connected to any vehicle to be used to dazzle, or to be used in a manner likely to dazzle, another road user.
(snip)

Obviously any bicycle/cyclist mounted light that is likely to dazzle another road user is against the spirit of this regulation but the illegality of it would seem to depend upon if it can be classified as a spot light or search light.

That's all well, but WA rules don't apply in NSW. :)

I just try to ride ahead of that particular light if I can.
g-boaf

Postby bychosis » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Mububban wrote:I ordered a 4 pack of cheap LED flashing lights from ebay, though I was getting 2 white and 2 red. I got 2 white, 1 red and 1 blue. Who the heck wants a blue flashing light?

I did similar, and got two. Kids love 'em. Pulling adults over for RBT, chasing speeders. Not on the road of course!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:57 pm

g-boaf wrote:That's all well, but WA rules don't apply in NSW. :)

I just try to ride ahead of that particular light if I can.

The equivalent NSW rule is Reg 219 which applies to any light but does not apply to riders of bicycles (as per Reg 214).

Get yourself an array of Class II laser pointers and retaliate...
Scott_C

Postby Squashed » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:28 pm

In WA if you have any colored light (except white) on the front of your vehicle, the Police will pull you over. A pink light on the front will be considered red and you will be charged. Basically you cannot have blue, red or anything resembling these two colors on the front of a bike.

You can have non-flashing amber lights on the side of the bike.

New laws have recently come into effect for motor vehicles in WA, whereby they are now allowed to have colored lights under their vehicles while the vehicle is moving. The exception to this is flashing blue lights. No vehicle, unless a designated emergency service vehicle, shall have flashing blue lights fitted to it. Any vehicle with flashing blue lights (that is not an emergency service vehicle), will be stopped by the Police. According to the Police, solid blue lights under the vehicle is ok, but flashing blue lights anywhere on the vehicle is a no no.
Squashed

Postby cp123 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm guilty!!! Not sure if I should put a :oops: icon or a :) icon.

I have and use daily a blue flashing rear light. I also have the obligatory white and red lights. On the front I have handlebar lights and lid lights for when i'm in areas with no ambient light.

On the back I have a red flashing dinotte and a planet bike super flash. I also have another red blinkie and my blue one on my backpack. I have been riding with this gear for at least 6-7 years including past many cops on a daily basis - such as old parliament house, the PM's lodge and Woden police station :lol: ) every night for years. Nobody of authority has ever said jack squat about it. and the red and blue backpack ones are right next to each other so could look potentially more like an emergency vehicle than just the blue on its own.

I have had many cyclists say it looks brilliant ask me where I got it and I told them. I've also had a few bogans yell out the window 'aaaargggghhf&^*(*)(*&^&ingcoppahhhh' as they go past. Why do I do it? because it stands out. Even with good lights you tend to blend in with all the other road traffic and I ride on an 80 km road with off and on ramps. I don't do it INSTEAD of the legal requirements, but as well as. While I still have white and reds on as legally required, technically (as far as i'm aware) i'm not breaking any laws. Plus, I've got plenty of riding friends who say I stand out like dog's nuts.

If you're ever in Canberra between the city and Tuggeranong any night and see a bike with both red and blue flashies, that's probably me. Feel free to say hi. I am not 'impersonating' a copper or anybody else - i'm simply riding and following the legal requirements - with a bit more.
cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:14 pm

and if anyone is interested... http://www.ledsafetylights.com/safety_lites.asp?catid=2

I have green as well, but like blue better!
cp123

Postby Oxford » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:13 am

Discussed before, here is my post from over five years ago, in Qld it is legal for bicycles to have other colour lights on their bikes, particularly blue:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=35664&p=554374&hilit=+blue+light+flashing#p607849

Off the merry go round for me on this one.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:07 pm

bychosis wrote:
Mububban wrote:I ordered a 4 pack of cheap LED flashing lights from ebay, though I was getting 2 white and 2 red. I got 2 white, 1 red and 1 blue. Who the heck wants a blue flashing light?

I did similar, and got two. Kids love 'em. Pulling adults over for RBT, chasing speeders. Not on the road of course!

I foresee the kids inheriting it soon because it'll just sit on the shelf forever otherwise!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!
Mububban

Postby yugyug » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:11 am

"Only reason I know this is that when I lived in NSW a policeman pulled me over and tried to tell me that my bike was illegal because it had slick tyres, and next time he saw me on the road I'd better have some road legal treaded tyres otherwise my bike would be confiscated"

That gave me a chortle. What a nong.
yugyug

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:03 pm

Squashed wrote:You can have non-flashing amber lights on the side of the bike.

Is that right? (Not saying it is wrong, seriously I did not know and would like confirmation.

I mostly respect laws. But, without justifying things like walking against the red, there are a few that I ignore for my own safety. Flashing lights to the side would be one of those.

I have chosen a rear flasher that covers a reasonable arc to the side and would like to have it extend even further. They can pick me up all they like, I still would like to make the biggest visual statement I can to cars that may otherwise collect me from the side. In the same context, cyclists entering roundabouts comes to my mind.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Squashed » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:11 am

yugyug wrote:"Only reason I know this is that when I lived in NSW a policeman pulled me over and tried to tell me that my bike was illegal because it had slick tyres, and next time he saw me on the road I'd better have some road legal treaded tyres otherwise my bike would be confiscated"

That gave me a chortle. What a nong.

roflmao, that's great :)
how did he plan on measuring your tread depth, a matchstick :)

I got a similar lecture many years ago, but from my boss, not a cop. I was told I needed some new tyres coz mine had no tread. I said they are new, I bought them yesterday. :)

---------------------------------
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Squashed wrote:You can have non-flashing amber lights on the side of the bike.

Is that right? (Not saying it is wrong, seriously I did not know and would like confirmation.

In WA, yes you can have amber lights on the side of your bike as long as they are not flashing. The Police treat it the same as any vehicle with amber lights along the sides. eg, big trucks and 4wds that have a row of amber lights along each side. They are happy because it makes the vehicle more visible from the side and don't rely purely on reflectors in the wheels.

They don't like flashing amber lights because if you have flashing amber on each side it confuses motorists who see a flashing amber and think you are turning. A bit like an indicator. But if the lights are not flashing, then they are fine and you can have them along the entire length of your bike as long as they do not overlap your white or red light. So basically you can have a white on the front, a few inches back along the frame you start adding non-flashing amber lights, and the amber stop a couple of inches before you get to the red rear light :)
Squashed

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy