The BVRT needs you!

The BVRT needs you!

Postby RobM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:01 am

Calling all off-roaders, MTBers, CXers and gravel grinders,

Local residents and Rail Trails Australia are urging the Somerest Region Council to apply for funding to complete the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail.

This will complete the trail from Ipswich to Yarraman – over 160km of rail trail fun!

Have a read, sign and forward onto others!

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/somerset-regional-council-to-apply-for-grant-funding-to-complete-the-brisbane-valley-rail-trail

Cheers, Rob
RobM

by BNA » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:58 pm

BNA

Re: The BVRT needs you!

Postby Orion » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:58 pm

Signed.
I'm planning to ride the Moore to Blackbutt section in the next week or two,
Orion

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:11 pm

Signed, i haven't done the rail trail yet but i absolutely love the country down that way :) .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:04 pm

I'm out scoping trails for my son & his mates to ride on their MTBs and I rode a solo Lowood to Esk & back loop during the week. What a beautiful ride! If it wasn't for an annoying thing called work, I'd have taken longer & gone further north.

Aim to make Moore to Yarraman when I've got company. AFAIK, the remaining unfinished section is Toogoolawah to Moore.
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
ValleyForge

Postby RobM » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:15 am

I did the BVRT from Walloon train station to Esk and back. Solo, 135km, one day ride that took me all day on the CX bike. Talk about being beaten to death with my own legs.

Can't wait to ride more of the BVRT :)

When the full length is complete - id love to do it with a few overnight stops in the small towns.

Might even be a great chance for someone to run a 'gravel' Gran Fondo event on it. Would attract riders from all disciplines.
Last edited by RobM on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobM

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:50 am

Yeah RobM - I'm a creature of the tarmac and it was hard work off road. My estimated 27kph average was a touch optimistic. The section north of Lowood looked more interesting, so that;s the one I did.

Given the mobile coverage on the upper trail (Moore to Yarraman) is patchy, I'm not game to do it alone. Watch this space.
ValleyForge

Postby RobM » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:19 pm

What got me was how varying the different sections are in terms of surface. Some of it is smaller gravel = faster riding. Other parts, the gravel is much bigger…makes for a bumpy and rough ride on the CX bike. Still loads of fun. The bridges are closed off, but I took a few sneaky photos on them. Pretty neat to be up close to such historic structures. :D

Tip 1: Look out for the railway spikes. They are about as long as your finger and heavy iron (rusted). One ‘pinged’ off my wheel at one point and after that I saw them everywhere. Probably wouldn’t give you a puncture, but anything’s possible.

Tip 2: Be prepared. I took enough tools, tubes, zip ties, food & water to see me through. Thankfully I didn’t need it. As mentioned – its not likely you will see many people on the trail. I did my ride on a Friday…and didn’t see a single person for 135km!! Obviously where phone reception drops out, this can be dangerous. So tell someone your plans and pack things that you might need should you get stuck (houses are mostly within shouting distance except in a few locations).
RobM

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Rode the Lowood northbound section with my son during the holidays. He's a strapping 10yr old on a 24" hardtail and I lost track of the number of times he told me his legs were stinging.

But he has told all his friends about it, and the photo of him at one of the rail bridges I'm making into a poster for his room.
ValleyForge

Postby RobM » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Nice one! BVRT - fun for the whole family! :D
RobM

Postby munga » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:30 pm

Like.
(i'm probably facebooking too much these days)
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby Orion » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:26 am

I rode the Moore to Blackbutt section yesterday. About 65km round trip. All of the creek crossings are easy as they have concrete causeways. The culvert near Benarkin was interesting too.
I can definitely recommend this section although it's probably too far for younger children.
Orion

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Orion - is it pretty isolated? I'd do a reccy by myself, but I've heard the mobile coverage is poor so I'm trying to talk mates into coming too. No luck yet.
ValleyForge

Postby oxonabike » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:28 pm

On 16 Aug a couple of Cairns people are meeting up with some Brissy and Toowoomba locals to ride Blackbutt to Moore and Return (apparently with a one way downhill option). If anyone wants to join in for a safety in numbers thing, you'd be welcome to join us.

Will provide more specific details if anyone is interested.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk
oxonabike

Postby Orion » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:10 am

ValleyForge wrote:Orion - is it pretty isolated? I'd do a reccy by myself, but I've heard the mobile coverage is poor so I'm trying to talk mates into coming too. No luck yet.

Yes, it is pretty isolated - especially between Linville and Benarkin. It was okay for me as I'm used to riding on my own and in remote areas.

Moore to Linville and Benarkin to Blackbutt are fairly close to civilisation. The Benarkin to Blackbutt section passes by houses close to the trail. But I didn't see another soul on the entire trail although I did meet some people in Blackbutt who'd come from Yarraman and were heading for Moore.

I didn't check what my mobile coverage was on the trail but I assumed it would be non-existent (I use Virgin Mobile). There was reception in Moore and Blackbutt.

A few people from the Brisbane Cyclist forums are planning a ride from Moore to Blackbutt return on 13th August (Ekka Wednesday). The link is to the thread is here: http://www.brisbanecyclist.com/forum/topics/brisbane-valley-rail-trail-1?xg_source=msg_com_forum&id=4154450%3ATopic%3A58714&page=1#comments

There are also a couple of end to end rides listed on the BVRT Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/BrisbaneValleyRailTrail They're doing Yarraman to Moore on 16th August.
Orion

Postby oxonabike » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:03 pm

So as mentioned above, five of use did the Blackbutt to Moore section, and three shaped up for the up hill return to Blackbutt. Despite the predicted rainpocolypse, it wasn't too bad while we were riding, but certain rather coolish for the Cairns visitors. Rain got worse after the ride, but we were safely in the pub by then, cleaning and packing up the bikes.

This is a good section for scenery and surface condition, although its a little rougher for the 7 km between Linville and Moore. The nice lady in the smaller of the cafe's in Moore loans towels to muddy cyclists, and serves a good cup of coffee.

Some photos on my G+ Page that google invited me to share: http://bit.ly/1pVdv0C
oxonabike

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:48 pm

Petition signed. Definitely on my to do list one day :-D
Rhubarb

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Ripper pics oxonabike, great motivation for me to finish my gravel bike and get out there :) .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:37 am

Fantastic pics oxonanbike. I apologise on behalf of SEQ for the wet day. VERY unusual for us this time of year.

Now I just need the time.
ValleyForge

Postby oxonabike » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:37 am

Yeah, weather was ordinary, but could have been worse. Recently rode in similar conditions on our Tablelands up here, so was prepared with the correct layers (mostly)

Thanks for the feedback on the pics - I noted that the captions had been dumped, so they've been put back on.

EDIT: Put the blog post about the ride on my website: http://bit.ly/1pXtICg
oxonabike

Return to Queensland