Tales of the Big W fatty. The Hyper Mammoth.

Cardy George

Re: Tales of the Big W fatty. The Hyper Mammoth.

Postby Cardy George » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:15 pm

bychosis wrote:Got some new tyres for cheap. Weighed them and both combined are lighter than the lightest of the two I removed. There was also a whopping 300g difference between the two bigW tyres!! Pretty sure I haven’t worn off 300g with maaaadd skidz, but i guess it’s possible.

Weekend should get some more time for installation and then put the whole beastly Mammoth back of the bathroom scales.

Ooooh, where from and how much?

I remember losing nearly a kilo just from removing the tubes at my first (failed) attempt at Ghetto Tubeless

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Not New unfortunately. From a wanted ad on rotorburn.

It’s just nuts how heavy the tyres, and other parts, are.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Updates. Finally got some round tuits.

Somewhere in the vicinity of 4.5kg lighter. Still no lightweight at 18.8kg but it’s a lot better than before.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:23 am

Parts:
Drillium rims. Duct tape rim strips. Saving over 400g of holes and swarf and not including what went straight into the vacuum cleaner.
Tyres: Second hand Vee 8. $30. Saving: 2.8kg (one original tyre's worth)
Tubes: Still there, might go tubeless, or get some lighter tubes.
Seatpost: eBay alloy. $16. Saving: 84g. Not much, but the existing one was a tad short for me.
Stem and Bars (not in pic): Alloy. $0 (parts bin). Saving 307g. Originally I was only going to replace the bars and got stopped because the stock stem takes 22.2mm BMX sized bars. Fortunately I found another 1-1/8 quill stem in my parts bin so the alloy 25.4mm MTB bars got a second try.
Crankset: Shimano Alloy + widgit 32tooth ring. $0. Savings approx 550g - forgot to weigh it before installation.
Cog: Switched gearing to make it a bit easier, 18tooth. Gone from 36-20 to 32-18.
Chain: switched to lightly used XTR 9spd from original SS. saving ??
Saddle: weighed the same as the potential replacement, so left the original.
Pedals: original
Removed: kickstand and chain guard. Saving: 422g.

Better remove those reflectors too.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:18 pm

I've now ridden the Mammoth twice since the Jenny Craig process. It seems a lot easier to spin up to speed now, but that speed is ultimately a little less than before. It's also easier to climb the local hills. The chain got a bit loose so I mustn't have tightened the nuts properly. Rode it to work this morning, said I'd never ride it to work again after the first time, but it's got a higher saddle now. Don't think I'll do it again!

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Looking good!