fly12 first impressions

jasonc
Posts: 9301
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Yes. Cables are knocking it
Image

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby PiratePete » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:28 pm

jasonc wrote:so how do i stop the thing rotating upwards? am using a k-edge combo mount. anyone got an ideas?


Must be snagging on something?? It's reasonably well balanced at the mount so should sit fairly level even if left loose.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12224
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:16 am

jasonc wrote:so how do i stop the thing rotating upwards? am using a k-edge combo mount. anyone got an ideas?


Get an old innertube a cut a length and wrap it round the bars, only needs to be one layer thick. This will give the mount the grip and protect the bars. Can be a super thin 6mm strip which is virtually invisible.

jasonc
Posts: 9301
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:20 pm

it's the fly12 rotating in the go-pro hinge. not the mount rotating on the bars
Image

cp123
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby cp123 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 pm

mine flopped up and down until I actually went back and looked at the mount that was supplied. there's a very subtle bump on one end that isn't on the other and I had it on back to front. :oops: once I took the mount off the handlebars and put it round the right way it was fine from then on in. the instruction book shows it but good old dopey me hadn't noticed it.

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:20 pm

cp123 wrote:mine flopped up and down until I actually went back and looked at the mount that was supplied. there's a very subtle bump on one end that isn't on the other and I had it on back to front. :oops: once I took the mount off the handlebars and put it round the right way it was fine from then on in. the instruction book shows it but good old dopey me hadn't noticed it.

I wondered if JC did this.. :shock:

jasonc
Posts: 9301
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:02 pm

was at 99bikes today. it was suggested to try putting a washer in the mount to see if that fixes it
Image

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 pm

jasonc wrote:was at 99bikes today. it was suggested to try putting a washer in the mount to see if that fixes it


I'm really struggling to understand this.. the nature of the mount is tightening the screw pulls the plates together. Is the screw tightening in a positive manner?

jasonc
Posts: 9301
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Yes. I've bought some new gopro screws. If the washer doesn't work, I'll try the new screw
Image

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12224
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Because of the tight tolerances, I am not sure if a washer will solve it.

My next tip involves.... and old inner-tube :)

Or sonething which is thin and elastic. Can you stretch it over the mount - so it is super stretched, the put the camera on, it may take work but the rubber will help it stay in place, then tighten and see if you still get movement.

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby PiratePete » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:10 pm

jasonc wrote:Yes. I've bought some new gopro screws. If the washer doesn't work, I'll try the new screw


Jase, is the screw your using screwing completely through the mount with some thread exposed at the other end? If not change to a longer screw. I did have one of the early prototype mounts which I managed to damage the thread when using a short screw as it only had a couple of turns to 'clamp' the gopro bracket and this wasn't sufficient to get the required torque. Replacing with a longer screw resolved that issue for me.

A washer could potentially create this issue or prevent any turns on the threaded end of the mount, as the thread needs to project beyond the mount by a turn or two.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jasonc
Posts: 9301
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:17 pm

it's definitely going through the go pro mount. i'm going to try another go pro bolt i have
Image

User avatar
Dodgy-Knee
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:44 pm

jasonc wrote:Yes. I've bought some new gopro screws. If the washer doesn't work, I'll try the new screw


I had the same problem and using a washer fixed it. The washer I used was one of those thin, hard red washers you sometimes find in garden hoses ... the bumpy roads here in Perth were just too much for the GoPro clamp.... now it's rock solid (and I'm using the screw bolt that came with the Fly12).

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:32 am

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
jasonc wrote:Yes. I've bought some new gopro screws. If the washer doesn't work, I'll try the new screw


I had the same problem and using a washer fixed it. The washer I used was one of those thin, hard red washers you sometimes find in garden hoses ... the bumpy roads here in Perth were just too much for the GoPro clamp.... now it's rock solid (and I'm using the screw bolt that came with the Fly12).


That's called a fibre washer BTW :)

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5648
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:50 am

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
jasonc wrote:Yes. I've bought some new gopro screws. If the washer doesn't work, I'll try the new screw


I had the same problem and using a washer fixed it. The washer I used was one of those thin, hard red washers you sometimes find in garden hoses ... the bumpy roads here in Perth were just too much for the GoPro clamp.... now it's rock solid (and I'm using the screw bolt that came with the Fly12).


I might have to try that because no matter how tight the bolt the Fly12 always tilts down during my rides. The fit to the GoPro mount of the Duo is loose in stark contrast to the mount which came with the Fly12 where the fit was very tight and the camera never moved during rides.

User avatar
Dodgy-Knee
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Comedian wrote:
Dodgy-Knee wrote:
jasonc wrote:Yes. I've bought some new gopro screws. If the washer doesn't work, I'll try the new screw


I had the same problem and using a washer fixed it. The washer I used was one of those thin, hard red washers you sometimes find in garden hoses ... the bumpy roads here in Perth were just too much for the GoPro clamp.... now it's rock solid (and I'm using the screw bolt that came with the Fly12).


That's called a fibre washer BTW :)


Well you learn something every day! ... I've got a tub full of those things in the shed and had no idea what they were called 8-)

celeste boy
Posts: 873
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Bowral

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby celeste boy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:54 pm

I've had my fly12 for about 2 months now but have only been using it as a light. I have fitted some Chinese mounts to the bikes (not out front types) and today I have been trying to link the Fly to my Samsung. After a bit of grief I can now see yesterdays ride in 5 minute lots on the phone. I can also download these 5 min lots to my computer through the photo facility. (Pretty good for an old fa..!)

I was only going to use the fly 12 on special occasions but a number of incidents recently have convinced me to use it evert time I'm on the road.

But here's a question. I run the fly tail light and I always thought it would stop recording and save if the bike ever went over. Is it the same with the fly 12? I turned quickly at the end of my ride into a sand driveway and came to grief on Friday. But the camera just kept recording. I think I read that you press the wifi button to save a particular section of you ride.

CB

jasonc
Posts: 9301
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:58 am

Mounted the cycliq fly12 mount on a bike ok the weekend. Fly12 doesn't move. Problem is either fly12 or k-edge mount
Image

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby Comedian » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:12 pm

jasonc wrote:Mounted the cycliq fly12 mount on a bike ok the weekend. Fly12 doesn't move. Problem is either fly12 or k-edge mount

It's really hard to see how it could be the fly12??

jasonc
Posts: 9301
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 pm

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:Mounted the cycliq fly12 mount on a bike ok the weekend. Fly12 doesn't move. Problem is either fly12 or k-edge mount

It's really hard to see how it could be the fly12??

Agreed. Which makes me ask, is anyone else having the same issue with their k-edge combo mount?
Edit: I have two k-edge combo mounts, so it's not just one the I have the issue with
Image

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby Comedian » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:49 am

jasonc wrote:
Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:Mounted the cycliq fly12 mount on a bike ok the weekend. Fly12 doesn't move. Problem is either fly12 or k-edge mount

It's really hard to see how it could be the fly12??

Agreed. Which makes me ask, is anyone else having the same issue with their k-edge combo mount?
Edit: I have two k-edge combo mounts, so it's not just one the I have the issue with


I've got a k-edge jumbo on Animal, and it has cables pushing it forward so you'd think it would show the same problem but it's been fine. The only thing I can think of is something is preventing the plates from pulling together clamping the unit.

Cycliq
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby Cycliq » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:06 am

celeste boy wrote:I've had my fly12 for about 2 months now but have only been using it as a light. I have fitted some Chinese mounts to the bikes (not out front types) and today I have been trying to link the Fly to my Samsung. After a bit of grief I can now see yesterdays ride in 5 minute lots on the phone. I can also download these 5 min lots to my computer through the photo facility. (Pretty good for an old fa..!)

I was only going to use the fly 12 on special occasions but a number of incidents recently have convinced me to use it evert time I'm on the road.

But here's a question. I run the fly tail light and I always thought it would stop recording and save if the bike ever went over. Is it the same with the fly 12? I turned quickly at the end of my ride into a sand driveway and came to grief on Friday. But the camera just kept recording. I think I read that you press the wifi button to save a particular section of you ride.

CB


If either of Fly6 of Fly12 are tilted more than 60 degrees (from how it would normally be installed on a bike) for more than 5 seconds, a incident protection feature will kick in. With your Fly6, it will turn off your unit in one hour and with Fly12 it will turn off your unit in 30 minutes. Using the microSD cards supplied with the unit, when they turn off you will have one hour of footage both before and after the incident with Fly6 and with Fly12 you would have 30 minutes either side.

Pressing the WiFi button on your Fly12 while it is turned on will take the current five minute file and the preceding five minute file, write them as 'protected' so they cannot be looped over. We call this 'incident capture'. This will effectively mean that it saves those two files so you can look at them later. I personally use the incident capture all the time when I see something interesting during my ride like a nice sunset or vista or some weird thing like passing a cyclist dressed as a clown once!

Hope that clarifies those features.

Cheers & ride safe!

jasonc
Posts: 9301
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:33 am

A mate suggested I try carbon paste on the combo mount so will give that a crack
Image

celeste boy
Posts: 873
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Bowral

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby celeste boy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Thank you Cycliq for the response above.

CB

defy1
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby defy1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:35 am

Cycliq - I've messaged you a while back, but its still stuck in the outbox. Is your inbox full?

Return to “General discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Chris-, Thoglette, warthog1