Bike Shelter Safety

MortyMcFly
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:21 am

Bike Shelter Safety

Postby MortyMcFly » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:26 am

Hey, I am new to riding to train station, I will be riding to the guildford trainstation which has a bike shelter - does anyone know if my bike will be safe there during the hours of 5:30am to 4pm?

Wixxy
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:35 am
Location: Perth

Re: Bike Shelter Safety

Postby Wixxy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:57 pm

The bike lockers are in a open space.

User avatar
HappyHumber
Posts: 5018
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:48 pm
Location: Perth, (S.o.R.) W.A.

Re: Bike Shelter Safety

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Follow the lead of the other bikes in the cages. Don't be the one person with an unlocked bike. Don't have the cruddiest lock. Research and observe locking techniques (eg... frame and wheels vs. just a wheel etc)

Nothing is 100%. It's just about improving your odds.

Having said all of that - you should be fine.


**edit** Have you registered with Transperth? Your Smartrider gives you access to the cages, but you need to tell them which one you're using. Otherwise your bike will have to be locked up outside the cage.
- Kym
Infrequently reading & contributing these days. Still reachable by PM (email alerts) - dec 2016

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Bike Shelter Safety

Postby Mububban » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:16 pm

MortyMcFly wrote:Hey, I am new to riding to train station, I will be riding to the guildford trainstation which has a bike shelter - does anyone know if my bike will be safe there during the hours of 5:30am to 4pm?


If you register your SmartRider card you can designate 2 train stations to lock your bike inside the covered cages. It's well worth doing.
Then buy a good quality lock, and maybe a cheap ass one to also thread through our wheels.

Any lock can be cut or broken given enough time and noise, but hopefully inside the cage, all locked up, thieves would go for an easier option parked outside with a $10 K-Mart lock.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

User avatar
Lizzy
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Wild West

Re: Bike Shelter Safety

Postby Lizzy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:58 am

Well here seems as good a place as any for my tale of woe. My trusty semi-retired traino bike has spent many days in the Warwick cage quite happily, until the other weekend when she went on one adventure too many with some not-usefully-occupied kids. Got off the train to find my helmet sitting forlornly on the ground outside. Then I spotted my panniers - probably worth more than I could get for the bike - thrown over the wall onto the bus ramp.

The guards were nice and took a report and description. We figured the bike was probably dumped in the bush somewhere, she's not the kind of thing anyone tries to sell. Right we were; the guards called me later, they'd checked over their logs and apparently a passer-by had earlier reported her being ridden round the carpark by 3 kids, then thrown off the ped overpass onto the embankment by the side of the freeway.

I tore the butt out of my jeans trying to abseil* down the limestone wall to get her back. She was a write-off and her organs have been donated to Dismantle.

N-1 :cry:

*turns out I wasn't born with that innate skill
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; RIP “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX - 2006-2018

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Bike Shelter Safety

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Lizzy wrote:Well here seems as good a place as any for my tale of woe. My trusty semi-retired traino bike has spent many days in the Warwick cage quite happily, until the other weekend when she went on one adventure too many with some not-usefully-occupied kids. Got off the train to find my helmet sitting forlornly on the ground outside. Then I spotted my panniers - probably worth more than I could get for the bike - thrown over the wall onto the bus ramp.

The guards were nice and took a report and description. We figured the bike was probably dumped in the bush somewhere, she's not the kind of thing anyone tries to sell. Right we were; the guards called me later, they'd checked over their logs and apparently a passer-by had earlier reported her being ridden round the carpark by 3 kids, then thrown off the ped overpass onto the embankment by the side of the freeway.

I tore the butt out of my jeans trying to abseil* down the limestone wall to get her back. She was a write-off and her organs have been donated to Dismantle.

N-1 :cry:

*turns out I wasn't born with that innate skill


:(

New bike day?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

User avatar
Lizzy
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Wild West

Re: Bike Shelter Safety

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:20 am

Mububban wrote:New bike day?


New-old bike day at best, I think but not straight away. I'm experimenting with N=1 :shock:

It will depend how this goes: I went temporarily insane and bought a kick scooter, that I can carry on the train with me and use at both ends but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to talk about those here.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; RIP “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX - 2006-2018

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Bike Shelter Safety

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:45 am

Lizzy wrote:
Mububban wrote:New bike day?


New-old bike day at best, I think but not straight away. I'm experimenting with N=1 :shock:

It will depend how this goes: I went temporarily insane and bought a kick scooter, that I can carry on the train with me and use at both ends but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to talk about those here.


lol

My son saved his pocket money and bought a good quality stunt scooter (not the folding ones, they rattle a lot). I must say it's pretty cool, smooth and quiet and sturdy, I'm tempted to buy one to get around the campus I work on but not sure how the boss would react to that :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 4120
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Bike Shelter Safety

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Lizzy wrote:I went temporarily insane and bought a kick scooter, that I can carry on the train with me and use at both ends but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to talk about those here.

No problem with the insanity :mrgreen:

I think the scooter's OK
  • Less than four wheels? Tick!
  • Human powered? Tick!
Yup.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

User avatar
Lizzy
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Wild West

Re: Bike Shelter Safety

Postby Lizzy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:50 am

Arrighty, clearance to report back! I have myself a Micro speed+ in mint green (in fact, almost Bianchi green)

It is harder work than it looks - any more than about 2% incline/decline, or rain/wet surface is not really viable. But either end of my train trip kinda works, and ends up with ~6.5km for the day. Yes, there's an Endomondo mode for it!

And it is actually great fun - I've also used it for cross-campus conveyance, it gets me a few double-takes. And being semester break, there's an old adage that you can fire a cannon down the hallway and be assured of not hitting any academics - well, let's just say myth confirmed, substitute cannonball for supposedly grown woman on a scooter ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; RIP “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX - 2006-2018

Wixxy
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:35 am
Location: Perth

Re: Bike Shelter Safety

Postby Wixxy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:49 pm

Lizzy wrote:Well here seems as good a place as any for my tale of woe. My trusty semi-retired traino bike has spent many days in the Warwick cage quite happily, until the other weekend when she went on one adventure too many with some not-usefully-occupied kids. Got off the train to find my helmet sitting forlornly on the ground outside. Then I spotted my panniers - probably worth more than I could get for the bike - thrown over the wall onto the bus ramp.

The guards were nice and took a report and description. We figured the bike was probably dumped in the bush somewhere, she's not the kind of thing anyone tries to sell. Right we were; the guards called me later, they'd checked over their logs and apparently a passer-by had earlier reported her being ridden round the carpark by 3 kids, then thrown off the ped overpass onto the embankment by the side of the freeway.

I tore the butt out of my jeans trying to abseil* down the limestone wall to get her back. She was a write-off and her organs have been donated to Dismantle.

N-1 :cry:

*turns out I wasn't born with that innate skill



Don't know if Stirling is too far for you to commute with a bike but there is 6 lockers opposite stand 6 or 7 on the bus platform. Much safer than the cages for me. And for the original poster the same is available at East Guildford station.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users