Giant CRX Zero or CRX 1

charris

Giant CRX Zero or CRX 1

Postby charris » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Chaps,

I'm looking to buy either a Giant CRX Zero or CRX 1.

Wondering whether the Zero is worth the extra cost... Ultegra bits, Mavic Speed City rims and of course, disc brakes. Would they be superfluous?

I'm definitely opting for a flatbar too.

I ride 16km each way to work and back usually once or twice per week on my Specialized Hardrock (which I really regret buying). I usually do it in 30-34mins. Average speed being around 25-27km/h.

So, considering the Hardrock's additional weight and cruddy gearset, what times could I expect to achieve with either CRX?

I also plan to ride around the Bay this year...

Any advice or alternative suggestions?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi Charris and welcome.

If you do a surf thru the forum, I'm sure you will find the same comparison.

Is your objective to be able to commute quicker? As you go past 27kmh, wind resistance will become more and more significant and most wind is on your body, not the bike itself. The bikes you have mentioned are not designed to place you body in a position to reduce the wind on your body. A drop bar bike will provide 3 different riding positions and allow you considerably reduce wind friction when it is required.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:36 pm

Disc brakes are great if your commute might involve getting wet, you'll still be able to stop :lol:

Is there a drop bar bike with discs standard?

Shaun

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:46 pm

Brakes make you go slower. Don't use them.

Just use quality brake pads with alloy rims. Its all about the brake pads.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:00 pm

With either Bike I think it is likly yo may only be able to push your average up by a fraction, say 30-35kmph. 16km I think is pushing the boundrys of a flatbar bike but not out of the question. Remember your time gains will only come from better faster take off and faster flats. I think your might be better goin for the cheaper bike. Mini Vs should still pull you up fast.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

triode12

Re: Giant CRX Zero or CRX 1

Postby triode12 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:14 am

charris wrote:Chaps,

I'm looking to buy either a Giant CRX Zero or CRX 1.

Wondering whether the Zero is worth the extra cost... Ultegra bits, Mavic Speed City rims and of course, disc brakes. Would they be superfluous?

I'm definitely opting for a flatbar too.

I ride 16km each way to work and back usually once or twice per week on my Specialized Hardrock (which I really regret buying). I usually do it in 30-34mins. Average speed being around 25-27km/h.

So, considering the Hardrock's additional weight and cruddy gearset, what times could I expect to achieve with either CRX?

I also plan to ride around the Bay this year...

Any advice or alternative suggestions?
I was making the same buying decision just a couple of months ago and I went with the CRX1.

Both bikes are essentially the same except for disk brakes and different wheel sets.

An LBS I went to weighed both bikes and the Zero was a few hundred grams heavier than the CRX1. Probably because of the extra weight of the Avid disk brakes and the Mavic city rims on the Zero.

Also disk brakes have little give and will stop you on a dime; which can be dangerous for inexperienced users like me; endos are easy.

Phantom cycles upgraded my rear deraileur to Ultegra and the crank to a Shimano R700 (Ultegra spec) hollowtech compact crank on my CRX1 for VERY little cost. These changes brought it up to the specs of the Zero (less the Mavic rims and avid disks) for $700 less.

Plus the 07 CRX1 hasa nicer colour and paint scheme (forks)over the Zero. 8)

The only weakness of my CRX1 now are the 550 wheels but they are fine for a training bike.

Hope this Helps.

green_commuter

Postby green_commuter » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:37 pm

totally!

richiec

Postby richiec » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:58 am

Have you looked beyond the Giant? I started off a search for a new flat road bike a couple of months back and the choice out their is mind boggling. I started with a list of about 10 bikes that looked good, narrowing it down by a process of actually getting out to shops to look at them, sit on them and sometimes ride them. I also relied heavily on the frank and honest opinions of people on this website and a few others.

My commute distance is a little less than yours, but I wanted something that I could ride comfortably on the odd 100km weekend jaunt.

I checked out the CRX range, the Trek 7. series, Avanti Blade, Masi Caffe Solo, Kona Dr Dew, Scott SUB10 and SUB20 - and in the end the one that won the day was the outstandingly specced Norco VFR1. Superb finish, top of the line gear, hydraulic disks, and cool look. It's about to arrive into the LBS and I am hanging to get onto the new 2009 version of this bike.

Funnily enough, on the ride to work this morning (still on my old Trek ZX7000), I was drag racing a bloke on a CRX2 - that looked brand new. At the lights, I was checking it out and felt satisfied I'd made the right decision to go the Norco. There is something not quite there with the finish on the Giant CRX's in my opinion, and if I recall, I remember the price of the CRX1, was out of the ballpark, compared to the Norco VFR1.

I wasn't fussed with finishing touches on the Giants, like the shiny black plastic looking handle bars, seatpost, and v-brakes. Anyway, I'd urge you to do a search on this website forum for 'flatbar road bikes' or similar.

There are a heap of people who have been through exactly the same excercise you are going through now, all with positive tales to tell, about how they individually arrived at their ideal bike. Good luck with it.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:06 am

It was originally posted in Jan/07, so the OP either already bought something or gave up cycling.
Last edited by peter on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richiec

Postby richiec » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:55 am

now, that is a very good point!

morephyous

Postby morephyous » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:01 am

Coming from a MTB bike, you may like the Norco better, but if you're a roadie, then the CRX will win hands down.

I don't understand why you need disc brakes with 700c wheels, especially if you're running 23-28mm tyres. Added weight, costs, too much stopping power. Yes there are benefits in the wet but with a set of Koolstops you can brake as well.

The CRX is also faster :lol:. If you're riding mostly gravel trails then the Norco will be the better option, but (AT) $1500, I'd get a Cyclocross bike instead :lol: