Frustrating Knee Niggle

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
mogwaiboi

Frustrating Knee Niggle

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi All

I'm hoping you guys can throw some ideas at me as I'm getting quite frustrated with trying to solve this ongoing niggle. I've had an issue with my left knee on and off over the last 3 years or so, but it has been persistent over the last 12 months. It's a dull ache between the knee cap and shin, and occasional popping. I've tried a lot of different daily stretches such as hip flexor, quads (the quad stretch seems to irritate my knee), calves, hips. Foam rolling of my quads and ITB. Spiky ball on the hips, hip flexors, glutes and quads. Strengthening exercises such as wall sits, one / two leg squats, various VMO exercises, standing leg raises.
I've had my position checked by a physio who has worked with various cycling teams in the past, and he couldn't identify any fit issues that could be causing it. I had 3 physio sessions with him as well but didn't make any progress. He seemed to think it may be caused by a tight left hip, so I really concentrated on using the spiky ball to loosen it up as much as possible but it hasn't helped the knee ache (it did seem to eradicate the mild outwards flick of my knee on the upstroke).
I'm currently getting treatment from an Osteo (I've only had 2 sessions so far). He has been massaging my adductor, quad, lower back, hip flexor and behind my knee. No real progress so far, but he did comment that there was less irritation of my knee area when he was wiggling the knee cap in the second session, so I'll persist.
In search of up - Hells 500

jpgibson

Re: Frustrating Knee Niggle

Postby jpgibson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Probs chondromalacia patellae. rest is the mainstay. only way to really find out is an MRI

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:59 pm

mogwaiboi wrote: I've tried a lot of different daily stretches such as hip flexor, quads (the quad stretch seems to irritate my knee), calves, hips. Foam rolling of my quads and ITB. Spiky ball on the hips, hip flexors, glutes and quads. Strengthening exercises such as wall sits, one / two leg squats, various VMO exercises, standing leg raises..

I was going to suggest this but you're doing it all already :shock:

My left knee gives me problems too but physio puts it down to a tight ITB so have been hitting the foam roller and the stretches you've mentioned. Just a month or two ago I had the same numbing pain in the same knee.

Started hitting a daily does of glucosamine which seems to have helped.
FOCUS Cayo Expert

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks guys. Yes I used to take glucosamine...I think I'll get a fresh batch and see if it helps. Osteo recommended doing wall sits daily. I've started consistently foam rolling my calf as well to see if that helps (that hurts!). Spiky ball all around my knee for a bit more torture.

I have a few bikes that I use and I've tried to set them up as identically as possible, but for some reason my commuter bike results in more knee aggravation than the other 3 bikes. Saddle height is definitely the same across all of them.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Are you using different pedals and cleats/float/angle on the commuter?
Maybe it's just geometry/position is different and causing issues?
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 pm

I use the same pedals on the commuter, but different shoes (both Shimano R321 though). The cleats are set up as close as possible between the 2 pairs. I've done a reach / stack comparison between all bikes and have made a few adjustments on the commuter to try to get it as close to the others as possible. Time will tell...

User Name

Postby User Name » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:51 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:I use the same pedals on the commuter, but different shoes (both Shimano R321 though). The cleats are set up as close as possible between the 2 pairs...

Same length cranks? The extra knee flexion with longer cranks could aggravate it