Tubeless tires - are they a "tighter" fit than clinchers?

Mububban

Re: Tubeless tires - are they a "tighter" fit than clinchers?

Postby Mububban » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:37 pm

I carry a tiny bottle of washing up liquid soap to lube up my tyres, my puny office worker keyboard hands can't do it without, but with the soap they go back on easy. Then wipe off any excess, but you only need a tiny drop.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:23 am

BugsBunny wrote:I just bought a pair of Vittoria Corsa Speed 23mm tubeless tires. (Apparently the worlds "fastest tires" - so I wanted to give them a try).

I bought one of these too to try out. First ride, sliced it on road debris (about 8mm), instant deflation and crashed.
Someone else has experienced this too. anecdotal evidence so I am not saying they are definitely a bad tyre, just adding my bit. Discussions here:
https://bikeblather.blogspot.com.au/201 ... d-tlr.html
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt
Veloviewer

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:32 am

trailgumby wrote:
RonK wrote:For tubeless fitments I consider this a good thing.

Definitely a good thing.

However, you need to be prepared in the event of a puncture. You need to caryy thin-tipped tyre levers. You'll break fat-tipped ones as they will not have sufficient leverage.

These are good:

These are not:

The Gold Standard are Michelin levers, but for reasons I don't understand they stopped making them. the Schwalbe ones at top above are a copy.

EXACTLY! I tried the latter (Bontrager levers) They looked the part, felt strong and fit the hand well but I snapped one of these the second time I used them to fit tubeless. They're very hard and as a result, don't flex, just snap. The former, Schwalbe, I have used countless times now on tight tight tubeless tyres and each time I think they're going to snap (I don't hold back while at home as I want to know how much force each type of lever can take for when I am on the road, a bit of experimenting while working) they never have. Also the Schwalbe's have an extra functionality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7XsmZdYDdQ

Also the Lezyne, although look small, have held up to tubeless mounting. And being double sided, I figure you have 4 levers in two for when you're out on the road (and snap one).

Veloviewer

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:34 am

eeksll wrote:getting tyres on with tyre levers, is there a technique to this?

It might be your tyre levers thickness. See my previous post for a video of this being done.
Or click here:
Veloviewer

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:46 am

MichaelB wrote:
Duck! wrote: That's precisely why I prefer and suggest starting at the valve; the reinforced base is much more prone to getting stuck between the tyre & rim when finishing there.

That's why, just before the final bit of the bead pops in, you push the valve up, which clears it from getting pinched.

That's how I was taught to install tubed tyres. I didn't know some started at the valve side. Interesting.
Veloviewer

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:46 am

BugsBunny wrote:I wasn't quite clear in my earlier update. :-) Yes, I know its always one bead first, although that didn't come out right. Mind you, in my 2 years of riding, and these being my first set of tires (~5000km), I've only had to do a tube change a couple of times.

Another idea, I think I got from GCN is to put the wheel on top of your feet, with your hands on the top of the rim pushing down. I think run my hands down either side, all the while pinching the bead into the well and trying to "stretch" the tyre. Often I end up with a little bit more slack when I get to the bottom. Repeat this a few times and it is much easier. Sometimes you have to use levers. If I am fitting a tubed tyre, I am very careful not to pinch the tube by making sure the levers is only minimally inserted into the rim/wheel.

Edit: here's the GCN video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvvXrlAUUfU and here's what I was trying to explain: https://youtu.be/jvvXrlAUUfU?t=1m03s

I have spent an hour (and lots of sweat and swearing) trying to fit Schwalbe Pro One TLR but now, with these tips, I am much better. Can still be hard though even though I consider myself not the average cyclist at 85kg and playing football, so anyone more on the slight build side, I feel for you :(
Veloviewer

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:09 pm

DaveQB wrote:

It might be your tyre levers thickness. See my previous post for a video of this being done.
Or click here:

thanks, I did see images of those levers earlier in the thread, didn't even occur to me that there was a reccessed hook thing on the back.

now I want some :mrgreen:

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:51 am

eeksll wrote:
DaveQB wrote:

Or click here:

thanks, I did see images of those levers earlier in the thread, didn't even occur to me that there was a reccessed hook thing on the back.

now I want some :mrgreen:

They're not that expensive. $7-10 for a set which includes 3.
Veloviewer