Quick release skewers

BugsBunny

Quick release skewers

Postby BugsBunny » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:16 pm

I was using some fancy-schmancy super light titanium skewers and noticed I was getting some brake rub when putting the power down. I then swapped back to the original wheel manufacturer ones (more chunky and heavier) and I noticed a clear reduction in brake rub. But there is still some lateral movement. (Its not the hub).

So what makes a skewer a good one?

My ultimate aim is to ensure I eliminate lateral play so all the power goes where it should.

ironhanglider

Re: Quick release skewers

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Once your skewers have enough clamping force to stop the hub actually moving in the dropout, I can't see how even more clamping force is going to reduce brake rub, which is caused by flex in both the wheel and the frame, and possibly the axle. I can understand through axles being stiffer through having a wider diameter, but I am sceptical that it translates into a difference that could be detected in a blind trial, despite all the advertising telling me otherwise.

Similarly I suspect the error margins in your testing protocol are too big to give meaningful results. However if you want to get the most clamping force, the internal-cam skewers are better than the external cam ones. I think Shimano continues to use the internal cam skewers only.

However to eliminate brake rub you need to either:

a) acquire stiffer wheels/frame, both of which come with a weight penalty, or
b) use the quick release mechanism on your brakes to give you more clearance on the uphills, and close them up again for the descents.

Cheers,

Cameron

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 am

Actually, some of the fancy schmancy skewers can be poorer.

Sheldon Brown discussed Enclosed Cam and Exposed Cam Skewers many years ago.

This type was originally marketed as an "upgrade" because it could be made a little bit lighter.

Despite the marketing hype associated with these "boutique" skewers, they are actually considerably inferior in functionality to the traditional type.

Beyond clamping force, a specific issue a good friend experienced with fancy schmancy skewers is poor grip on the dropouts and when putting down power, the rear wheel slipped so was fairly dangerous. The solution, old reliable skewers and the problem was solved.

I don't know if any of this relates to your problem, but you can consistently switch to produce / eliminate the brake rub, then you are onto something.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 am

I used Shimano MTB ones (XTR level) when I tried some lighter ones and found them to be not so good.

Hard to source, but they work brilliant !!

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 pm

I have over time replaced all my rear QR skewers to the type which works with the stationary trainers. While I don't use the trainer cause the one I have is crap, I do use it for some bike maintenance tasks. Also they are cheap at $10 or less each.

weighed them last night, my standard dt-swiss skewer (not a special one, the standard one that came with the wheels) is 60grams and the one for the trainer is 100 grams.