Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

amandasmile
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby amandasmile » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:38 pm

I feel headphones are dangerous and taking up a water bottle spot is annoying plus having things attached to my handlebars annoy me but I love having music while riding. Any suggestions? What are you doing while riding to have music to motivate you?

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12479
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:12 am

Look at the coros helmet. In the forums an ad appears on the right side which you can click for more.

It uses bone conduction so no headphones with block other noises or silly helmet attachments or speakers mounted elsewhere.

The bass isn't as strong as regulat speakers but it is safe, easy and you also can answer phone calls (hear and talk) while you ride.

I did a review when it was first released in Australia so check that out (also a video as well).
http://www.bicycles.net.au/2016/07/aust ... one-calls/

The helmet pretty much road cycling but a MTB style one is on the horizon.

User avatar
gorilla monsoon
Posts: 3476
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am

Couldn't find any mention of price on the Coros rig, or a retailer list. Was I not looking properly or was that information omitted from the advert?
Won't climb, can't sprint.

Roger Ramjet: Giant CRX3
Lady Penelope: Avanti Cadent
Barry Allen: Specialized Sirrus Expert

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9659
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:40 am

I use Plantronics BackBeat Fit wireless headphones to listen to audiobooks and podcasts while riding.

They have what Plantonics call an open eartip design so you can still hear what is happening around you. It is effective - I often have to rewind a little when traffic noise drowns out the spoken word. But if you are listening to music it doesn't matter so much if you miss a couple of bars.

And I particularly like this design as I cannot stand having earbuds in my ear canals.

Image
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2234
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:52 am

RonK wrote:But if you are listening to music it doesn't matter so much if you miss a couple of bars.

Doesn't matter? Doesn't matter! I dare you to tell Johann Sebastian Bach which couple of bars of his Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 don't matter!
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9659
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:27 am

silentC wrote:
RonK wrote:But if you are listening to music it doesn't matter so much if you miss a couple of bars.

Doesn't matter? Doesn't matter! I dare you to tell Johann Sebastian Bach which couple of bars of his Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 don't matter!

No problem, I'd be happy to. What's his mobile number? Email address? Or is he on Facebook? :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Velt
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:52 pm

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby Velt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am

Yeah what you want is something bone conducting. You want the Coros helmet or some bone conducting earphones (Aftershokz is one brand). You can find both on Pushys.

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2234
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:47 am

Actually I wouldn't mind trying out one of those helmets. It reminds me of something I saw advertised in a magazine, I think it was Omni, back in about 1981. It was called a Bone Fone and it was a bone-conducting personal speaker that hung around your neck like a scarf - quite ahead of it's time but didn't seem to catch on:

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/01/the_bone_fone_r.html
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
P!N20
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby P!N20 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:49 am

Image

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9659
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:44 pm

And all powered by that little dynamo hub. Impressive!
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9659
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:50 pm

I tried Aftershokz Trekz. They did not impress.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 12808
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:19 pm

RonK wrote:
silentC wrote:
RonK wrote:But if you are listening to music it doesn't matter so much if you miss a couple of bars.

Doesn't matter? Doesn't matter! I dare you to tell Johann Sebastian Bach which couple of bars of his Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 don't matter!

No problem, I'd be happy to. What's his mobile number? Email address? Or is he on Facebook? :lol:

This is his youtube channel. If you leave a comment I'm sure he'll respond.


User avatar
Nate
Posts: 3119
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:56 pm

RonK wrote:I tried Aftershokz Trekz. They did not impress.


I tried them and they did impress.
Currently using them every day & also used them during RAAM this year.

DONT expect awesome sound from something that allows ambient noise in... they're bone conducting & allow you to hear traffic, so they will of course be a compromise.

up to 25km/h - superb
up to 35km/h - some extra volume required due to wind noise
above 45km/h - nothing except noise cancelling is going to do an exceptional job... but wont allow you to hear traffic.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9659
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Nate wrote:DONT expect awesome sound from something that allows ambient noise in... they're bone conducting & allow you to hear traffic, so they will of course be a compromise.


I don't care to compromise. That is why I now use the Plantronics BackBeat Fit headphones I posted about earlier instead of the Aftershokz. They do produce quality sound and let enough ambient noise in to be aware of traffic.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1031
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby Mububban » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:40 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Couldn't find any mention of price on the Coros rig, or a retailer list. Was I not looking properly or was that information omitted from the advert?


While there are some after-market speaker accessories which can be stuck onto your helmet, the integrated wireless convenience of the Coros means it is already ahead. Added to this, there are no awkward speakers to deal with, and it is affordable, coming in at $249, which is extremely competitive considering performance road cycling helmets range from $180 – $400 without the extra technology.

The Coros Frontier Helmet is now available for sale in bike shops across Australia and further information is available online: iico.com.au
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

BugsBunny
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby BugsBunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:54 pm

RonK wrote:I use Plantronics BackBeat Fit wireless headphones to listen to audiobooks and podcasts while riding.

They have what Plantonics call an open eartip design so you can still hear what is happening around you. It is effective - I often have to rewind a little when traffic noise drowns out the spoken word. But if you are listening to music it doesn't matter so much if you miss a couple of bars.

And I particularly like this design as I cannot stand having earbuds in my ear canals.

Image


I've also been using these for a while and I think they're pretty good. Still working after a couple of years of hard use - namely sweat. And concur that you can easily hear external noise easily - albeit you shouldn't have them on too loud to mask out the external noise. The earphones/microphone are close to useless unless you slow down to walking pace - else the person on the other end will hear just whooshing wind noise.

Philistine
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby Philistine » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:35 am

Rule #6 people - free your mind and your legs will follow! This does not specifically proscribe music, headphones and the like, but its message is still clear enough to those willing to heed it.

caneye
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby caneye » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:36 am

I have, on a number of occasions, come across a fellow commuter who uses a bidon-size wireless bluetooth speaker placed in his bottle cage. Something a little unorthodox.
I reckon you do need to turn it up a notch to hear anything ... and then it becomes a tad too loud when you are waiting at the lights .. ah well, just sharing the music with fellow commuters.

just my $0.02 :D

User avatar
hamishm
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby hamishm » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:35 pm

BugsBunny wrote:
RonK wrote:I use Plantronics BackBeat Fit wireless headphones to listen to audiobooks and podcasts while riding.

I've also been using these for a while and I think they're pretty good.

I recently bought a pair and they were completely dead on arrival. I'm glad I bought them at a local store (Officeworks) and could easily return them rather than have to send them back to an online supplier. Turns out the interweb is full of similar occurrences.

westab
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Blacktown, NSW

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby westab » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Mububban wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Couldn't find any mention of price on the Coros rig, or a retailer list. Was I not looking properly or was that information omitted from the advert?


While there are some after-market speaker accessories which can be stuck onto your helmet, the integrated wireless convenience of the Coros means it is already ahead. Added to this, there are no awkward speakers to deal with, and it is affordable, coming in at $249, which is extremely competitive considering performance road cycling helmets range from $180 – $400 without the extra technology.

The Coros Frontier Helmet is now available for sale in bike shops across Australia and further information is available online: iico.com.au


I recently purchased one of these helmets and am loving it. I won't make outgoing calls but can easily answer incoming ones - which has saved me time already call back either family, or friends. The call clarity is really good (better than the Bluetooth in the 2 different cars I regularly have the displeasure of driving) . I will play music as well if in the mood or listen to my Bible (as an audio book). Music is good; the Bible audio book is really good.

The best thing I think is the Coros app and remote on my bars; the remote is easy to use even when the helmet has two devices connected. The app is one of the selling features for me as it will send a message to Mrs Westab should I crash and not cancel the message within 8 seconds. It will give her my location - she is most happy about this as she is constantly worried some "kind person" will run me overs and leave me on the side of the road.

Just my 2c worth but as I like wearing my helmet; and I was due a new one, and it was my birthday, why not splurge and get one that makes my ride more pleasurable. I'm still yet to see how long a charge lasts - so far it has been over 10 hours of riding and also how long the helmet will last (or at least the battery) but my estimate will be the battery will outlast the helmet.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

User avatar
StevOz
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:37 pm
Location: Dunsborough, WA.

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby StevOz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Better yet less then $100, actually got it for $77 on special, plenty of volume for the ride and added safety features, pedestrian hear me coming and actually move over, just wins!

Image

Image

Review : http://www.cnet.com/au/products/ue-roll/

Still works for me and going strong 2 years on...

Kronos
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby Kronos » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 pm

If I'm riding on the road I just forgo headphones, if I'm riding on the modern bike paths most places in Australia now have, then I don't mind either way. Headphones in. Same goes for cars really, no headphones unless I'm a passenger on the road. Personal speakers are obnoxious, either use open back earbuds, or get bone conduction headphones.

I have a great set of high end closed back headphones but I save them for the gym so I don't have to listen to whatever is on V/Max. In general I just try not to be an obnoxious lycra wearing cyclist. There are enough of those people filling up the obnoxious cyclist club out there already without me applying to join in too.

User avatar
Toxteth
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby Toxteth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:07 pm

hamishm wrote:
BugsBunny wrote:
RonK wrote:I use Plantronics BackBeat Fit wireless headphones to listen to audiobooks and podcasts while riding.

I've also been using these for a while and I think they're pretty good.

I recently bought a pair and they were completely dead on arrival. I'm glad I bought them at a local store (Officeworks) and could easily return them rather than have to send them back to an online supplier. Turns out the interweb is full of similar occurrences.


I had one pair of Plantronics BackBeat Fit replaced under warranty because they were dead. The second pair was unused but just recently I went to use them and they were also dead and the warranty has now expired. As suggested the Internet is full of similar stories.

Personally I would avoid this product.

fishwop
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby fishwop » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:19 pm

I use a Schwinn Blu Tunes with an i-pod that has bluetooth capability but a smartphone would work as well. I find it quite satisfactory and wouldn't ride without it. It has a headlight in it as well but the light is pretty much useless.

vaypaz
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Re: Listen to music while riding? if so, how?

Postby vaypaz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Wired headphones with just the left earbud in, with the wire running underneath my jersey to my phone in my rear pocket.

The bose headphones I use have an inline remote so I can turn off or change the volume if needed easily enough.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chriso_29er, Discodan