New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

queequeg

Re: New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Drizt wrote:Gopro with the extended battery pack was acceptable from a run time perspective and Excellent video quality. But it also didn't have video looping. Video looping is simply file management, I can't see there possibly being any restrictions on implementation there.

For commuting, I just got to work and threw both my cameras on the USB charger. Then I had a full battery for the ride home. Unless i had a horrid slow ride home, I never ran out of battery, and one 32Gb memory card fitted the inbound and outbound commute nicely.

I just got two new batteries for them before buying the Fly cameras, so I am set should I decide to revert my setup to the VIRBs
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Drizt wrote:Yeh, that doesn't really cut the mustard as real looping.

Agreed, which is why I never used it, and just recorded my entire commute and then clear off the card every day at home. I'd keep 7 days of archived footage for both cameras, and only keep the raw footage of any actual incidents.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Jmuzz wrote:...that's the real trick, getting acceptable quality out of a sensor and efficient compression with low power.

Yes it is. The beta fw I'm currently evaluating (thrashing) for the Fly6ce provides a much better video quality, but file size and power consumption is up. Happy to report that it's quite happy with the 128GB SD Card still, even with file sizes just under 4GB. However due to licensing issues large SD Cards would of course be totally unsupported...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:15 am

No firmware update yet... except for the replacement which is due because of the water / fogging, most users will go out of the box unless there are problems. Unfortunately I had the comparison fly6 (gen 3) already off.

This was the first turn-off occurance and though my rides hav’t been more than 2 hours, the battery wasn’t a concern. When I noticed, I was able to turn it on and it started.

But will do a but more testing. Apart from the crash protection, is there also an idle function (where it turns off if movement not detected)?

Also planning questions for Cycliq so if you have one, you can let me know. I have most issues from the thread though wont necessary cover each one.

There are some good things, I am fairly happy with the mount and the fly12 compact design is nice.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:40 am

You will get lck file shutdowns without the 1.1.25.636 firmware, previous had a serious malfunction. Unless you disable crash mode. There was an RF clash with some sensors too.
https://support.cycliq.com/support/solu ... t-firmware

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 am

PiratePete wrote:The beta fw I'm currently evaluating (thrashing) for the Fly6ce provides a much better video quality, but file size and power consumption is up.

I'm very much looking forward to this. I'm finding that strangely despite the overall footage being clearer than the old Fly6, number plates are totally unreadable in anything less than broad daylight. I've been testing with and without EIS and no difference. The old Fly6 used to still pick up readable number plates even in the dark when the light flashed.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:09 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Apart from the crash protection, is there also an idle function (where it turns off if movement not detected)?

Both units have a default 15 minute idle timer and will then turn off. Which I found out after stopping for lunch on a sportive, not knowing there was an idle timer, and resuming my ride for an hour or so before noticing neither unit was running!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:48 pm

New Android app released.
Seems to be working properly.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 am

Update on the Fly6 and with the cycliq app was pleased to see that idle protection can be turned off - this will also allow for a bit of testing.

I notice than when connecting the Fly6CE via the USB cable to the - it is automatically recognised by the CycliqMac application whereas the Fly12CE is connected and needs to be turned on before it is recognised.

Fly6 - 1.1.25.636
This require a 2 step process

Fly12 - V1.0.36.000.
This is a 1 step process

An update - the default is 60fps and this is obviously affecting the file size so am testing with 30fps.

The Cycliq Share app oesn't like the .avi's from the old Fly6 and crashes - though appears to like the newer format more.