Vittoria Rally tires

hillbrick-rider

Vittoria Rally tires

Postby hillbrick-rider » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Just a question about tubular tires

I have now used the Ambrossis wheel build for only 125+Kms with a Vittoria Rally 28-25 with tub tape, I have now noticed that the tire rides now with a bump and the tire is slightly wider after the valve for six or so inches.

A is it the cheap training tire

B has I mucked up the fitting of the tub tape and tire

Thanks for your thoughts
Chris

open roader

Re: Vittoria Rally tires

Postby open roader » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:00 am

I inherited a Vitt Rally as a spare tyre in a portable on road repair kit. My experience says 'A' as the one and only sample I rode briefly was a lumpy bugger with plenty of overlapping materials right close to the valve, however, I do not recommend taping tubulars.

You can always peel it off and start the fitment again paying attention to keep tension on the tub as you stretch it equally either side of the valve.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Duck!
Expert

Re: Vittoria Rally tires

Postby Duck! » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm

As per the last sentence above, inadequate tension at the start when fitting the tyre can cause the section near the valve to be relatively slack on the rim & a bit more prone to bulging, but it also has a lot to do with the quality of the tyre. With all tubs it's a good idea to fit them "dry" to the wheel (not stuck) for at least 24 hours to stretch. This helps with fitting when sticking them on properly, and can also iron out any lumpy bits.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.