TheWall

Re: "Get off the road, you don't pay rego"

Postby TheWall » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:04 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Image
Oh dear...fair effort to get all the way in there! :shock: :lol:

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 am

Was this in South Bank, Brisbane? There was a news.com.au article about it. Apparently it was a drink-driver who had been banned from driving 3 separate times. Our laws are bloody pathetic and useless.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:Was this in South Bank, Brisbane? There was a news.com.au article about it. Apparently it was a drink-driver who had been banned from driving 3 separate times. Our laws are bloody pathetic and useless.
I think the laws are just fine. It’s the attitude of the idiots that continue to drive while suspended etc that’s the problem. The court system could probably do with a little improvement too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 am

bychosis wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:Was this in South Bank, Brisbane? There was a news.com.au article about it. Apparently it was a drink-driver who had been banned from driving 3 separate times. Our laws are bloody pathetic and useless.
I think the laws are just fine. It’s the attitude of the idiots that continue to drive while suspended etc that’s the problem. The court system could probably do with a little improvement too.
We'll just have to disagree on this, then. I think if the laws were effective, this drink driver would have been imprisoned after ignoring the driving ban for the first time. But obviously, the laws and our court system allowed this idiot to repeatedly ignore the ban.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:37 am

bychosis wrote:
The laws are fine, implementation is a problem.
Attitude amongst almost the entire general population regarding driving is atrocious. This extends to law enforcement too, meaning the issue with law enforcement.
As it stands anyone can get into a vehicle and drive... it does not require a license, just keys, a vehicle and fuel... as evidenced by the 10s of thousands driving unlicensed in NSW. How many times have I read of some twit in court for driving unlicensed.. walk out of court and get back into the car they drove to the court in.

In australia the only solution I see is automated driving... our destructive attitude around driving is too far entrenched for change

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:08 pm

CXCommuter wrote: In australia the only solution I see is automated driving... our destructive attitude around driving is too far entrenched for change
Bingo
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 pm

Strawburger wrote:
CXCommuter wrote: In australia the only solution I see is automated driving... our destructive attitude around driving is too far entrenched for change
Bingo
Yarp, sooner the better
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:57 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Strawburger wrote:
Bingo
Yarp, sooner the better
Then they will say "Get off the road, you don't utilize automated driving technology."
:wink:
Go!Run!GAH!

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 am

Cheesewheel wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
Strawburger wrote:
Bingo
Yarp, sooner the better
Then they will say "Get off the road, you don't utilize automated driving technology."
:wink:
I'd be astonished if one of those morons had enough brain cells to utter the word "utilise".

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:27 am

Utelize

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:38 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
bychosis wrote:
We'll just have to disagree on this, then. I think if the laws were effective, this drink driver would have been imprisoned after ignoring the driving ban for the first time. But obviously, the laws and our court system allowed this idiot to repeatedly ignore the ban.
Perhaps impounding the car of a repeat driving ban offender might be an intermediate step before imprisonment? Yes, they can potentially get around it by borrowing someone else's car, but if they scoff at that law, then prison is definitely justified.

find_bruce

Expert suggests abolishing tolls & halving rego

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:27 am

Sydney trains could be fixed by halving car registration and removing tolls, experts say - its an eycatching headline, unexpected from ABC news, but fortunately there's a catch - the same expert wants to replace them with a congestion charge on all vehicles for 2 hours in the morning & then 2 hours at night

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:29 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Strawburger wrote:
Bingo
Yarp, sooner the better
Yeah, but how long do we have before AI progresses to the point where the cars themselves don't start hating cyclists.

I'm thinking of something in a Steven Hawking kind of voice like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pKlupl ... sp=sharing

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Utelize
Utelize : (v). Any action that disturbs the mind of a person driving a ute. Eg. "Buckenell mayt! Dose bucken sighklets ar buckenaddit agen! Effya utelize da bucken road, pay bucken rego ya bukken barstards!"
Go!Run!GAH!

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:46 pm

uart wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
Strawburger wrote:
Bingo
Yarp, sooner the better
Yeah, but how long do we have before AI progresses to the point where the cars themselves don't start hating cyclists.

I'm thinking of something in a Steven Hawking kind of voice like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pKlupl ... sp=sharing
We could call it HAL (heavyweight auto locution), and eventually it will reach version 9000. :P

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:13 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
bychosis wrote:
The laws are fine, implementation is a problem.
Attitude amongst almost the entire general population regarding driving is atrocious. This extends to law enforcement too, meaning the issue with law enforcement.
As it stands anyone can get into a vehicle and drive... it does not require a license, just keys, a vehicle and fuel... as evidenced by the 10s of thousands driving unlicensed in NSW. How many times have I read of some twit in court for driving unlicensed.. walk out of court and get back into the car they drove to the court in.

In australia the only solution I see is automated driving... our destructive attitude around driving is too far entrenched for change
IMHO it's time we accepted that driving is probably the most dangerous thing a citizen of Australia will ever do. It's not too hard to kill yourself, and take several other citizens with you. Easy Peasy.

So, if you don't play by the rules give them maybe one chance. First DUI driving ban and penalty. If they ever do it again lifetime driving ban and a short spell in jail to get to know the locals. The next offence just lock them up. :shock: It's time we accepted that driving isn't for everyone.

I think we should implement this ASAP because if you're hoping autonomous cars are going to come to the rescue it might be a longer wait than you think.

https://jalopnik.com/what-if-autonomous ... 1820778692

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Comedian wrote:So, if you don't play by the rules give them maybe one chance. First DUI driving ban and penalty. If they ever do it again lifetime driving ban and a short spell in jail to get to know the locals. The next offence just lock them up. :shock: It's time we accepted that driving isn't for everyone.
There are those that get to a point where an additional driving ban is no threat, they are often already banned for several years to come anyway. Time to start crushing cars and locking offenders up.
Comedian wrote:I think we should implement this ASAP because if you're hoping autonomous cars are going to come to the rescue it might be a longer wait than you think.

Yes, while it is possible to program a car to drive autonomously, it cannot react for every occasion unless it is programmed which leads to lawyers fighting about whose fault it is, the 'driver', owner or manufacturer who is responsible when the car decides that hitting one soft cyclist is better than a head on with a truck.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:17 pm

bychosis wrote:Yes, while it is possible to program a car to drive autonomously, it cannot react for every occasion unless it is programmed which leads to lawyers fighting about whose fault it is, the 'driver', owner or manufacturer who is responsible when the car decides that hitting one soft cyclist is better than a head on with a truck.
I couldn't agree more. As a software engineer, I wouldn't work on self-driving car software if you paid me a million dollars a year! :shock:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Comedian wrote:IMHO it's time we accepted that driving is probably the most dangerous thing a citizen of Australia will ever do. It's not too hard to kill yourself, and take several other citizens with you. Easy Peasy.
Driving deaths come in after skin cancer & falling, but your point is well made - skin cancer & falling generally only kill you, driving can kill innocent victims as well.

One of the sad ironies of the September 11 attacks is that something like 2,300 extra Americans died as a result of choosing to drive rather than fly

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:39 pm

bychosis wrote:
Comedian wrote:So, if you don't play by the rules give them maybe one chance. First DUI driving ban and penalty. If they ever do it again lifetime driving ban and a short spell in jail to get to know the locals. The next offence just lock them up. :shock: It's time we accepted that driving isn't for everyone.
There are those that get to a point where an additional driving ban is no threat, they are often already banned for several years to come anyway. Time to start crushing cars and locking offenders up.
Comedian wrote:I think we should implement this ASAP because if you're hoping autonomous cars are going to come to the rescue it might be a longer wait than you think.

Yes, while it is possible to program a car to drive autonomously, it cannot react for every occasion unless it is programmed which leads to lawyers fighting about whose fault it is, the 'driver', owner or manufacturer who is responsible when the car decides that hitting one soft cyclist is better than a head on with a truck.
And this is where we get to with lawyers and philosophers in our society. We tolerate a system that is CURRENTLY killing 1000 people per year (and hundreds of thousands worldwide), and refuse to introduce a system that will cut this by 90% or more, because out-of-touch thinkers
like this play "what-if" with unforeseen and unprogrammed-for scenarios that may occur once every 2 years in reality.

PA

Postby PA » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote: I couldn't agree more. As a software engineer, I wouldn't work on self-driving car software if you paid me a million dollars a year! :shock:
Can't blame you, why would you want to take a pay cut? :D
Mouse magnet

trailgumby

Re: Expert suggests abolishing tolls & halving rego

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 pm

find_bruce wrote:unexpected from ABC news, but fortunately there's a catch - the same expert wants to replace them with a congestion charge on all vehicles for 2 hours in the morning & then 2 hours at night
Make it 4 at both ends (6-10am and 3-7pm) and you've got me. :D

You'd get a lot of parents whining about how far their kids have to travel, but that's entirely self-inflicted (albeit engineered by dysfunctional government policy). Send them to a school that's closer or buy them each a bike. :twisted:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:35 pm

madmacca wrote:
bychosis wrote:

And this is where we get to with lawyers and philosophers in our society. We tolerate a system that is CURRENTLY killing 1000 people per year (and hundreds of thousands worldwide), and refuse to introduce a system that will cut this by 90% or more, because out-of-touch thinkers
like this play "what-if" with unforeseen and unprogrammed-for scenarios that may occur once every 2 years in reality.
Yes.. but you see if you have an autonomous car and it crashes it's the manufacturers problem (or anyone else the driver can point the finger at). Even if it resulted in the death toll halving.. if there were only 10 crashes caused by autonomous cars that's ten now that the manufacturers don't have to fight.

It's like the building I work it. All the tenants are government, and the building is owned by an arm of government. They recently closed the stairs because they were worried about people falling in the stairs and hurting themselves. Even though - the government has huge expensive programs encouraging people to be active.. if someone falls in the stairs that's their problem. Someone has a heart attack or diabetes.. somebody else's problem..

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Comedian wrote:They recently closed the stairs because they were worried about people falling in the stairs and hurting themselves.
WHS gone mad. You'd probably need an induction and work method statement to be allowed to use them from now on.

A while ago a consultant was doing audits on our PPE usage and effectiveness. He asked one (well experienced) employee who had trained him in use of his hat. The response was a rather dumbfounded "my mum".

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:20 pm

madmacca wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:
bychosis wrote: I think the laws are just fine. It’s the attitude of the idiots that continue to drive while suspended etc that’s the problem. The court system could probably do with a little improvement too.
Perhaps impounding the car of a repeat driving ban offender might be an intermediate step before imprisonment? Yes, they can potentially get around it by borrowing someone else's car, but if they scoff at that law, then prison is definitely justified.
But then they'd get onto a cheap pedelec and mix it with the bike path crowd.

On the other hand if they DID obey the restrictions they'd do the same. I guess we can't win.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle