Bike Buying Frustrations

rich1642

Bike Buying Frustrations

Postby rich1642 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:18 pm

It seems increasingly harder to get the type of bicycle i favour. I like CroMo steel frames, cantelever or disc brakes, the ability to accept wider tires, preferably drop down handlebars and a large or extra large frame. In other words, I want a tourer, a rigid mid nineties MTB or maybe a cyclocross with dropouts for racks etc.

Vivente tourers seem like a good if expensive choice, but best of luck trying to find one in the Sydney stores to buy. Ditto Kona Sutra, Jamis Renagade Expat and Surly truckers etc. Trek 520 are no longer wing bought in the country and they can't be imported from a country that does still sell them.

I really like mid nineties rigid MTBs, but the second hand market for them seems very barren.

It's really frustrating. The bike stores are full of sporting orientated bikes like racers, MTBs with suspension and heaven forbid, the dreaded claustrophobic comfort/hybrid model. I see a few tourers for sale second hand, but they're nearly always small or medium size.

I did buy an really nice 2005 Trek Fuel EX 9 really cheap recently to see what it is like and maybe take up track and bush riding, but it doesn't have any provision for racks and weighs about the same as my rigid 1996 Trek 850 where my legs are the suspension. Luckily my Trek 850 still has a lot of life left in it.

I just want a new bike. Please somebody take my money.

Mugglechops

Re: Bike Buying Frustrations

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Have you checked out Bombtrack bikes?

rich1642

Postby rich1642 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks Mugglechops, but I think the same applies. I rock up to Cheeky Monkey or Omafiets with my credit card and ask for one in XL. They say, sorry no can do. None in store. None at distributors. Actually that's not strictly true. Omafiets has a 2016 XL Patagonia frame. They have said they would strip another sized Patagonia And put it on the xl frame. It's a lot of money so I keep on humming and hawing.

There was a XL Tout Terrain with Rohlhoff on EBay the other month for $1800. It had been listed a few times without any takers and I was planning to bid on it but forgot before it finished and it wasn't re-listed

Velo Cycles in Melbourne has the XL Jamis Renagade Expat in stock I think.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:56 pm

Cheeky Monkey is no longer operating in Newtown...they closed shop a few months back...Omafiets have now taken over as Surly & Bomtrack bikes.
Hard to believe they have little stock left in Vivente bikes, they usually have good stock levels...i bought my Patagonia there about 4 months ago...loving it. I only got the L frame though.
Yeah they arn't cheap but they've got everything you would want in a tourer except a front rack.
The box of tools & accesories you get with the Vivente is incredible...everything you need to pull it apart, pack it up in a bike box...go overseas and put it together again for a massive tour.
If you put everything thats on a Vivente and put it on a Surly LHT....it'd cost a heck of a lot more. For what you get, i don't think the Vivente is expensive at all.

Cheers

Brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:04 pm

There are plenty on this forum who favour this type of bike, but the reality is they are not high volume sellers and few stores are prepared to carry stocks, particularly in a size that may be hard to sell.
The solution for many of us has been to build our own. There is an extraordinary sense of satisfaction to be had in researching and acquiring a frame and components and then the final assembly.
Members here have sourced parts from all over the world and built Salsas, Somas, Surlys, Jones, Waywards and others.
If you really want one of these bikes there is no point moaning. You have just got to get stuck in and do it yourself.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rich1642

Postby rich1642 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:19 pm

brumby33 wrote:Hard to believe they have little stock left in Vivente bikes, they usually have good stock levels...i bought my Patagonia there about 4 months ago...loving it. I only got the L frame though.
Yeah they arn't cheap but they've got everything you would want in a tourer except a front rack.

Look at the Omafiet website. There is a butterfly bar one in XL and the 2016 frame I mentioned. Otherwise it's "call for availability" which is a euphemism for "no freaking way". You're lucky- you could pick up a 2016 drop bar Rohlhoff on special for $3999.

RonK, no thanks. Not with my lack of mechanical aptitude. I'd suggest there is a far greater market than importers and manufacturers allow for. They seem to sell very quickly each year- unless it is a small size.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:42 am

Hey Rich 1642, you're welcome to have a ride of my Patagonia if you want to have a feel for them...mind you, mine is set up for my height 178cm and is a Large frame Patagonia 2017 model.
I put on a shorter and higher stem so the bars would be a little closer to me so If your real lengthy i might be a bit cramped for you but you never know.
But if you're wanting to have a ride on one, see how mine is set up etc....we can possibly meet up somewhere.

I'm in the Penshurst-Beverly Hills area.

Cheers

brumby33
(Dave)
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:54 am

I've dealt with Velo Cycles previously, and found them to be excellent, although I was only buying small parts that didn't justify an online order. The Jamis you're referring to isn't a high-end bike, with mechanical discs and Tiagra 4700, but is more than capable and priced well here on this link :

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-bikes/jamis/vic/carlton-north/jamis-renegade-expat-2017/102919471

Have no knowledge re modern-day Jamis, although I do recall their MTBs from the 80s (odd but tough) however can recommend Velo as a bunch of enthusiasts who know their stuff.
Mmm, SunTour

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:00 am

Yep Jamis bikes are definitely worth a look!

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:16 am

You don’t need any mechanical aptitude to DIY build. There plenty of bike shops that will assemble it for you are a reasonable cost.

If you want a VWR, best contact Noel McFarlane at Vivente directly and ask him where you can get one.

Similarly contact Wayward Bicycles.

Another option would be to buy online from HiBike in Germany. I sourced my Salsa Fargo frame and some components from here, and another member bought a complete Fargo. If you are lucky (as he was) your shipment may not be selected for the random customs inspection and you may not be charged the GST. HiBike sells lots of brands including Salsa, Surly and Kona to name a few, and their shipping charges are very reasonable.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Velt

Postby Velt » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Malvern Star Oppy S series? Can even get one in reynolds steel if you wanted. Check with your local avantiplus or avanti/scott dealer, they're from the same distributor.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:35 pm

Mmm, SunTour

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:33 pm

I have a new frameset on the way, from Mason Cycles. Basically a Bike packing bike, rack mounts, mudguard mounts, extra bottle cage mounts, even a mount for a Dyno light on the fork crown.

https://masoncycles.cc/

I've gone for the BokehTi, but they have a steel and alu framesets and builds, the Resolution & Definition (and a Definition 2 coming), as well as the Bokeh in an alu version.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:17 pm

I was in the market for the same sort of bike. I'm a six footer so needed a big frame.
Bombtrack seemed good... but had a carbon fork.
Specialized Sequoia elite... but again a carbon form.
Vivente looked good... but the smallish frame and high necks put me off.

None of those concerns are major, just not exactly what I was after.

I wound up with a Malvern Star Oppy S2.
All steel. Fat tyres. Mounting points for racks 'n stuff. I've since fitted a slightly longer neck and oversized bars.

Oh, and the Brooks has been adjusted properly since then :oops:
It's also got one of them Italian Road Bike mirrors (which is why the closest bar end looks odd), which is disappointing but not enough to retape the bars to take it off.
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

V17L

Postby V17L » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi Rich,
I have a vivente XL for sale if you are interested. Please PM me if interested.
Giant Defy 1