Speedwell appreciation society

flying dragon

Re: Speedwell popular roadster date?

Postby flying dragon » Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 am

Would it be useful to change this thread title to "Speedwell appreciation society"?
I've found the info in this short thread to be very helpful and interesting with the historical ads and knowledge for these older bikes.

find_bruce

Re: Speedwell appreciation society

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 am

flying dragon wrote:Would it be useful to change this thread title to "Speedwell appreciation society"?
I've found the info in this short thread to be very helpful and interesting with the historical ads and knowledge for these older bikes.

Done

flying dragon

Postby flying dragon » Fri May 18, 2018 11:49 am

A question about Philco brakes - what kind of brake pad should I be looking for? I was looking at the fibrax type pads like these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Vintage ... 1836149223
But does anything else fit?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 25, 2018 3:16 pm

One of my other interests is little British sports car from the 60s - I own a 1960 bugeye sprite & a 1969 MG midget. One of the original sellers of go fast bits was Speedwell Engineering - completely unrelated but a similar stylized S. Hence my interest in a 60s speedwell bike to take along to historic race meetings to get around the paddock

I know that Speedwell was struggling in the 60s before being taken over by in 65 by the same company that had bought Malvern Star. All the info I have seen, including the wiki page largely written by torana68, tapers off by the 50s.

My question though is about whether there were any special speedwells available in the 60s.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:56 pm

find_bruce wrote:..........
My question though is about whether there were any special speedwells available in the 60s.

I’ve touched some nice specials from ‘64 , I’d have to go dig and see but probably wouldn’t be much as by ‘68 Asian made frames were the go. The new owners were all about profit, no love there . They were busy cost cutting and sucking what they could from both once great names.
I have yet to find any confirmed dates for the closure of the Redfern factory, anyone know?
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"