This forum vs Facebook

Lots of steel bikes

This forum vs Facebook

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:39 am

I used to be a regular on this forum until the Photobucket debacle. Although I still follow posts on this forum I rarely post anything. The frustration of posting photos turned me almost exclusively to similar Facebook groups. Initially Retro Classic Cycling World and now Retro Cycling Classics. Can I ask if there are many users of this forum who aren’t members of Retro Cycling Classics? I feel I am missing out on a lot of expertise from this group.

P!N20

Re: This forum vs Facebook

Postby P!N20 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:45 am

What's Facebook?

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 am

Many traditional forums such as this and others I'm involved in have been affected in membership terms from Facebook Groups that cover just about every interest under the sun.
Facebook used to be the site that the younger generation used with their friends but has now been hi-jacked by older members for keeping in contact with family, friends and interest groups.
Now the youngsters use snapchat or Instagram (which has also been hijacked by the older set and businesses)
Just about all businesses or websites have a Facebook account and other multimedia accounts.

There's a lot of bicycle touring groups I use and follow on facebook.

The downside of Facebook interest groups are whilst pictures are easy to post, unless you're willing to scroll down relentlessly they soon become old news and hard to find whereas forums such as this, it's easier to follow a topic.

I'm an Admin on Aussie BBQ forum and we've been going for nearly 10 years but the forum has suffered greatly over the years from infighting, other social media, the inability of the forum owner to update the forums quick enough to counter such programs as teletext and direct picture adding in the forum itself and whilst we have this now, we still have issues with teletext working reliably.

We also had major issues like most forums of holes being made from Photobuckets decision to limit 3rd party photosharing and has taken away interests from traditional forums like this and our BBQ forum as people want to be able to share pics immediately now than stuff around with sites like Photobucket. I was lucky that when i first seen this happening, I quickly downloaded all my images from Photobucket back into my computer so I can directly use them.

I don't know if you can directly share pictures from your computer to this forum...maybe it needs major updating to include this feature.That's up to the admins.

One of the main reasons why Facebook has become so popular by all age groups is because it can be used virtually anywhere in the world as long as you have some internet connection whether it be by direct or wifi. On tour you only need a cafe with a wifi connection and you're online anywhere on this planet...this is why it's taken over...you can virtually follow anyone on tour. You only need a smartphone and the world is your oyster.

Where forums like these as you stated, are more for those who delve deeper into the more technical issues of the interest at hand and the knowledge of those who are experts in the field. Many forums have slowed down considerably over the years due to apps like Facebook but still have solid grounding, some have died completely.

I enjoy both mediums but still prefer the use of forums like this for community and my interest at hand....forums like this cover so many facets of the interest at hand...you've only got to see the catagories listed in the menu. Facebook doesn't have this feature really, it's more singularly focused on one style/type of the Interest and there's no real menu to search through to find your answers.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:42 am

I've had a Facebook account for years but never used it, never looked at it. Until earlier this year when my brother warned me that my account had been hacked - a lot of rubbish had been posted and hundreds of friend requests were generated.

In the process of cleaning it up I discovered Australian and New Zealand touring and bikepacking groups. All extremely active. I probably post more there now than I post here.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:51 am

brumby33 wrote:The downside of Facebook interest groups are whilst pictures are easy to post, unless you're willing to scroll down relentlessly they soon become old news and hard to find whereas forums such as this, it's easier to follow a topic.

This is why I prefer forums to Facebook. The good stuff gets lost in the other goings on too easily on Facebook
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:19 pm

bychosis wrote:
brumby33 wrote:The downside of Facebook interest groups are whilst pictures are easy to post, unless you're willing to scroll down relentlessly they soon become old news and hard to find whereas forums such as this, it's easier to follow a topic.

This is why I prefer forums to Facebook. The good stuff gets lost in the other goings on too easily on Facebook

Indeed. Where's the "like" button? :wink:

LG

Postby LG » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:54 pm

A non-Facebook user here so no idea what is happening on those pages. Unfortunately I was also caught up in the photobucket debacle and haven't posted much since, no pictures. Have been meaning to delete my photobucket account and start again with another provided but concern of a repeat occurrence (and general laziness) has stopped me so far.
LG = Low Gear

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:41 pm

LG wrote:A non-Facebook user here so no idea what is happening on those pages. Unfortunately I was also caught up in the photobucket debacle and haven't posted much since, no pictures. Have been meaning to delete my photobucket account and start again with another provided but concern of a repeat occurrence (and general laziness) has stopped me so far.

Ditto :!:
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:51 pm

To be specific some of the Facebook "older bike" places seem to be the home of the rude and uniformed who think they know everything and have a strong dislike of being corrected. Its all about the instant answer , preferable one that agrees with their thoughts. Ill probably drop off the ones I'm on soon enough, but some of the finds are interesting.
Its not just bike places ether, some of the other ones are just amazing how lazy people can be.............and no they cant all be 12 year old's many have driving licences :(
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:14 pm

I must confess I too like this forum as apposed facebook, but am too lazy to go through a long process to post pictures. If someone gave easy to follow instructions on posting here I might post again.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Great post brumby33, summed it all up nicely.

Im a facebook addict and am on a few Retro pages, mainly to buy parts for bike builds.
The fb "advice" pages are ridiculous. People with no experience or credentials offering all sorts of tips. Im on the Bicycle Advice World Wide page just for laughs. If your chain is slipping, you can fix that with a bike fit.
I give and get advice here. We know each other here and we are nice to each other on here, thanks to excellent moderation, something fb does not have.
This is a great site and a great community of really generous people. If Alex or Duck were to charge for their time or professional advice that they give on here, they would be rich.
Facebook is a necessary means of communication but I love BNA.
Cheers

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:47 pm

reviewing the number of contributions and views this thread has had today suggests that there is still many who view this forum daily, but may not contribute a lot. Nothing wrong with that!
I too was disheartened by the Photobucket issue, but I decided to do something about it this morning. So 1.5 hours later I had reinstated many of the images into the very image-rich EA Boult thread before heading off to work.
Still to do the images for the Vinco, the Spearman, the 1946 Hobbs, the Gios Torino, the Malvern Star New Look, the Ace Special and the 1952 Hobbs Blue Riband. So enough to keep me going.

I am a member of a few of the facebook pages, but mainly try to point people in the direction of the online resources.
I recognise many of the members from here contributing on the Facebook pages.

Buying and selling has its value but documenting a build on Facebook is worthless.
Many of the online groups tend to focus on more recent bikes, which have only limited attraction for me.
I am not interested in whether people like or don't like my projects, as I prefer to document them so others can think about their own projects.
I am soon to make some more urethane components, and no doubt I will document those projects here.
I have a few more saddles to recover, this time with a Swallowesque shape.
Once I get my Sturmey Archer ASC indicator rods and I make a decision on drilling the rims, I will document the progress on the Hobbs Blue Riband.
And I need to get the Skidstar lookalike repaired, so another one to document here.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks for the replies and it’s good to see so many familiar names are still active.
I totally agree that as a research tool Facebook groups are hopeless. Forums such as these are invaluable when it comes to information gathering.
I have a recent example. I acquired an unusual bike a couple of days ago and set about identifying the builder. A search on this forum for VEW (Velox Engineering Works) components led me to Charlie Bazzano then to John McLachlan then to Don Blackman and then to George Bismire. I’m fairly sure it’s a George Bismire bike. Couldn’t have achieved this with Facebook.
I’ll start a thread on the bike once I get the photo imbedding sorted out. I took the plunge and got the Googlephotos app to replace Photobucket and after two hours still can’t work out how to imbed photo links from the app.

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:30 pm

I use the facebook groups quite a bit, the traffic is just a lot higher than forums generate these days.

It's also easier to get notifications for posts etc.

My facebook page for Austral Bikes seems to get more interaction with other owners than the website I build ever brought to me.

I plan to create an Australian Vintage Cycling facebook page to post all the old ads I've collected as facebook is a better format to post and store them on.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Tinker wrote:I use the facebook groups quite a bit, the traffic is just a lot higher than forums generate these days.

I have just scrolled through the November postings on "Retro Cycling Classics"
I didn't see anything of interest to me. Mainly shots of 1980s bikes in a landscape setting with no history.

More traffic doesn't hold my interest if there is nothing of any meaning. I prefer to be able to scan the headings and see what I am interested in. As it is I have to wade through any updates to try to find something new. Very inefficient.
I had to go back over a month to find Danny's recent Hetchins project, and that went largely ignored, with most comments about when the next jumble sale was going to be. And uneducated remarks on the (suicide lever) rod changer. Arrggh!

There was another Facebook group 'Retro Classic Cycling World', but the 'owner' decided to archive it from 30 September 2017. All that information is now inaccessible to non-members.
I barely tolerate Facebook.

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
Tinker wrote:I use the facebook groups quite a bit, the traffic is just a lot higher than forums generate these days.

I have just scrolled through the November postings on "Retro Cycling Classics"
I didn't see anything of interest to me. Mainly shots of 1980s bikes in a landscape setting with no history.

More traffic doesn't hold my interest if there is nothing of any meaning. I prefer to be able to scan the headings and see what I am interested in. As it is I have to wade through any updates to try to find something new. Very inefficient.
I had to go back over a month to find Danny's recent Hetchins project, and that went largely ignored, with most comments about when the next jumble sale was going to be. And uneducated remarks on the (suicide lever) rod changer. Arrggh!

There was another Facebook group 'Retro Classic Cycling World', but the 'owner' decided to archive it from 30 September 2017. All that information is now inaccessible to non-members.
I barely tolerate Facebook.

The search function on a facebook page can bring up all threads that relate to an enquiry or interest.

There is a distinct lack of a proper Australian Vintage Cycling presence on FB. I will start one up and see what interest it gets.

I agree about the 80's bikes, thus i'd restrict it to pre-1960 as other pages cover stuff after that well enough.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:26 pm

There are some really good Bicycle Touring groups on Facebook that I follow and one that I found and joined recently is run by a chap who lives in Canberra and has a passion for touring Japan which is number 1 on my bucket list.
He has posted some great info on bicycle Touring and accommodation in different regions and have found it very useful.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6644809 ... ment_reply

Theres also another group I've subscribed to which is more American based but theres a chap there called
Frosty Wooldridge who being a long distance Cycle Tourer, Poet, Public Speaker and Author has some great articles too.

But of course....when I'm not on FB...I'm here :D

Cheers

brumby33

VWR -2013

RobertFrith

Postby RobertFrith » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 am

The marketplace facility on Facebook is amazing. It has sucked member to member sales sub forums dry and you have to imagine it has dealt a serious blow to fleabay and gumtree.

For event promotion Facebook is amazing. A recent crit series in Perth, with Stuart O'Grady riding, was completely invisible on the web unless you were on Facebook.

The search facility on Facebook is next to useless and anything posted there is invisible to your search engine of choice.

I'm still posting here on topics that deserve a longer life. Photohosting is a bastard. The cost of serving those files is obviously one issue but there are also legal obstacles for forum admins, for many of whom this is a labour of love. Facebook has the benefit of incalculable advertising revenue, and the legal team that that sort of dosh can buy; resources that forums like BNA don't enjoy.

I'll continue posting here anything that I feel deserves a longer life than it will ever enjoy on Facebook. I've mostly used Flickr as my photo host. Sure, it's not the same as direct posting but I'm happy to undertake the small amount of learning involved in the interest of the local community. (yeah, good on me).

here's a pic hosted on Flickr. Hopefully it'll still be here in a few years...

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm

RobertFrith wrote:I'll continue posting here anything that I feel deserves a longer life than it will ever enjoy on Facebook.

I wholeheartedly agree RobertFrith. For future bike research this forum is a must.
I feel guilty for not sorting out photo hosting long before now. Facebook made me lazy.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Good summary of the pros and cons of the different platforms already.
At the risk of repeating - I too still look here often but post much less. Its simply not user friendly for posting pics. My use dropped a lot when this forum decided to drop compatibility with tapatalk which made posting pics easy.
I do miss the depth of info here a little, and the detailed build threads. I resisted Facebook for a while but have to admit it is a pretty user friendly platform.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Yes, well, I just got myself involved on 'Your facebook bike forum here' in a conversation on Presta vs Schrader valves. Big mistake..
Informed comment with time span overview? Very low...Crap content? Very high.... some guy just brought up the fact that aircraft use Schrader valves. Well duh... Guess how much higher quality (and cost) those are than the sort that inhabit your $5.00 inner tube....
Pointless noise mostly....

Richard

(also in grumpy old b.... mode after reading FB :P )

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:50 am

WyvernRH wrote:Yes, well, I just got myself involved on 'Your facebook bike forum here' in a conversation on Presta vs Schrader valves. ........................

Haven't seen that one but it seems Malvern Star was the actual maker of most bikes in Oz :shock: :shock: this rubbish and more will probably become fact soon.........
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:34 pm

As someone who was an inveterate forum user even before the World Wide Web existed (strictly speaking, News Groups), I can say that nothing kills reasoned and comprehensive discussion like a facebook page.

I've have seen the death of the Perth Fire Group forum and the Pertht Unicyclists forum among others I valued. And while there are heaps of readers on the FB pages that supplanted these, the ability to organise things or to simply be able to see everything or relocate everything Iwant to see is lost.

While the old News Groups could be tedious (Some Deaf related newsgroups I was a part of had several hundred posts a day that I had to work thru to clear the clutter) even they were way more useful than FB pages.

Images is about all that FB is superior on. I'd rather the discussion on serious issues than more images. I can get those on Pinterest.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Yeah I remember the old news groups, I was a member and contributor of aus bicycle and aus cars....there was a few narky members on those too.
I've been a member of the Stromtroopers forum for nearly 6 years now and been to many gatherings, one of which I organised myself and it had a strong Aussie community...it is a group who own the Suzuki V-Strom motorcyclez but now many members have gone over to FB group austrom who now have over 900 members and are very active....so I guess its just the more modern way to stay in touch and organise getherings.....but guess where they get the technical info from....our bbq forum has suffered a similar fate .

VWR -2013

uart

Postby uart » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:27 pm

I've been thinking about this, and here are a couple of idea that I believe could reduce the loss of forum participation to facebook.

1. Do away altogether with having different sub forums and even different threads. Just one giant thread that everyone can post random stuff in.

2. Make a strict forum rule that only every 10th post is allowed to contain any meaningful information. The other nine can only be something like "lolz richard thatz cool as bro" or simply "your an idiot" (without any indication of who you're actually responding to).

Then it would be just like facebook. :D