Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

User avatar
Kev365428
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 am
Location: Ingleburn, NSW
Contact:

Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:51 am

Just wondering how many people are signed up, considering some of the comments made about last year's event.

Personally, I won't be riding it, but I will be driving a vehicle.

For those going, the weather may well be the biggest challenge of the day.

Kev.

User avatar
grimbo
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:38 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby grimbo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 am

Yep, I'm doing the ride.

Weather looks ungood.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10002
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 am

Good luck all, looks like a great route - the last bit looks good:

https://www.strava.com/routes/4377591

I forgot about it, otherwise I would have entered.

robbo mcs
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm doing it.

BOM is forecasting 30-70mm of rain for saturday on the latest forecast, some other weather forecasts have 130mm+

Will be very "interesting" :shock:

TheWall
Posts: 768
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby TheWall » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:48 pm

I am in. Fingers crossed re weather!

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10002
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:18 pm

robbo mcs wrote:I'm doing it.

BOM is forecasting 30-70mm of rain for saturday on the latest forecast, some other weather forecasts have 130mm+

Will be very "interesting" :shock:


Eek! Keep safe, don't be a hero on the descents in those conditions.

User avatar
Kev365428
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 am
Location: Ingleburn, NSW
Contact:

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 am

My biggest concern (as always) are the cowboys who think ti's a race to bottom, mixing it with weekend warriors who are just out to complete the course.
Wildly varying levels of ability on a wet descent is never a good mix.

Kev.

User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
Posts: 4645
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:00 pm

Kev365428 wrote:My biggest concern (as always) are the cowboys who think ti's a race to bottom, mixing it with weekend warriors who are just out to complete the course.
Wildly varying levels of ability on a wet descent is never a good mix.

Kev.

It's promoted as a race, run under TdF-like conditions. Some of those seeking to race the event will be taking risks. It's inevitable.

L’Étape Australia by le Tour de France is a unique road cycle event that provides an experience as close to riding in the Tour de France as it is possible for an amateur to get.

Staged in the Australian NSW Snowy Mountains on 160km of fully closed roads and run under professional Tour de France Race conditions, the route includes a 350m Sprint section and two challenging King of the Mountain sections.
<snip>
There are two distances; The Race of 157km and the Ride of 126km.
<snip>
The Race route begins at...

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10002
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 pm

Kev365428 wrote:My biggest concern (as always) are the cowboys who think ti's a race to bottom, mixing it with weekend warriors who are just out to complete the course.
Wildly varying levels of ability on a wet descent is never a good mix.

Kev.


Well, like Alex said above, they promote it as a race and there was if I remember right big publicity for the top finishers, who I know are anything but cowboys.And what of Chris Froome and his two "minder" riders smashing it at high speed?

Haute Route handles this well enough, they have clearly defined timed sections and clearly defined non timed sections. The descents that they deem to be dangerous are clearly noted as being non-timed and all riders are made aware of this in the pre-stage rider briefing. There is no reason for people to be bombing it down those descents.

And in the case of an accident, there are always medical motos and/or cars and Police or other support vehicles around. I would imagine L'Etape would be at that level given what they are trying to promote.

User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
Posts: 4645
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:22 pm

g-boaf wrote:Haute Route handles this well enough, they have clearly defined timed sections and clearly defined non timed sections. The descents that they deem to be dangerous are clearly noted as being non-timed and all riders are made aware of this in the pre-stage rider briefing. There is no reason for people to be bombing it down those descents.

Just because it's not timed doesn't mean there are no incentive to race.

There are those who wish to remain with a group of faster riders since losing them will mean they'll be slower during the timed sections. It also provides an opportunity for a break to get away or for riders to attempt to catch a group ahead.

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8014
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:It's promoted as a race, run under TdF-like conditions. Some of those seeking to race the event will be taking risks. It's inevitable.
Do you know if they have permission from the NSW Police Commissioner to hold a race? I am sure you are all too familiar with the procedural nightmare that particular process usually involves.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10002
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Haute Route handles this well enough, they have clearly defined timed sections and clearly defined non timed sections. The descents that they deem to be dangerous are clearly noted as being non-timed and all riders are made aware of this in the pre-stage rider briefing. There is no reason for people to be bombing it down those descents.

Just because it's not timed doesn't mean there are no incentive to race.

There are those who wish to remain with a group of faster riders since losing them will mean they'll be slower during the timed sections. It also provides an opportunity for a break to get away or for riders to attempt to catch a group ahead.


I think the only way to stop that is to group people together and take them down the descents in bunches behind a motorbike or car. But that takes away the lure of the whole thing and it's ridiculous for the people who do know how to handle a bike properly.

find_bruce wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:It's promoted as a race, run under TdF-like conditions. Some of those seeking to race the event will be taking risks. It's inevitable.
Do you know if they have permission from the NSW Police Commissioner to hold a race? I am sure you are all too familiar with the procedural nightmare that particular process usually involves.


I'm pretty sure they'd have permission for the event.

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8014
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'm pretty sure they'd have permission for the event.
Sorry g-boaf I am being obscurely technical - do they have permission to conduct the event as a race, pursuant to section 115 of the Road Transport Act 2013

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10002
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:48 pm

find_bruce wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I'm pretty sure they'd have permission for the event.
Sorry g-boaf I am being obscurely technical - do they have permission to conduct the event as a race, pursuant to section 115 of the Road Transport Act 2013


And I'm using political speak. I'm sure they'll have all the relevant permissions.

User avatar
SheikYerbouti
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby SheikYerbouti » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Kev365428 wrote:My biggest concern (as always) are the cowboys who think ti's a race to bottom, mixing it with weekend warriors who are just out to complete the course.
Wildly varying levels of ability on a wet descent is never a good mix.

Kev.


I know noone is ever as good as the serious riders on this forum who constantly worry about everyone being an idiot and taking them out (which makes me wonder why they're riding fondos at all?), but read last year's report, half of the weak guys were swept up and removed within the first hour. L'etape doesn't tend to feature weekend warriors. Not just the distance and terrain, but also the location and price, tends to reduce the number of not-that-serious riders quite dramatically.

syu
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby syu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:11 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:L'etape doesn't tend to feature weekend warriors. Not just the distance and terrain...


I have to disagree. Having not been myself, I'm only going on L'etape Australia's marketing and seeing the SBS ad constantly, this is exactly who they're targeting. Which I could never work out, because if you only get out on the bike once every other weekend even just 'The Ride' is going to give you a fair amount of trouble, not the fun day out the marketing would lead you to believe.

But, I suppose as always, caveat emptor.

Anecdotally, the one person I know that was down there last year, not riding and not a road cyclist said he'd never seen more "Audi 4WDs" with bikes on their roof racks in his life.

...but read last year's report, half of the weak guys were swept up and removed within the first hour.


I suppose by that point they've already got your money.

At this point it's still proceeding :shock: I hope the weather is only half of what's predicted and it will probably still be a bad day.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6242
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:59 pm

The Race route has been shortened to just over 100km.

Change to Tomorrow's Course
Following an update received from the Bureau of Meteorology at 4:30pm, L'Etape Australia and the Local Authorities have made the decision to modify the route for L'Etape 2017.
The updated forecast predicts 150mm of rainfall in Jindabyne and up to 200mm in Perisher. For the safety of all riders the following changes have been made to the race course:
- Riders will stay on Kosciuszko Road until Berridale.
- The Race Finish has been moved to Jindabyne
The operational team is currently working with the Local Authorities to implement these changes, ensuring no delays to the scheduled start times.
We apologies for these modifications, however rider safety is our priority.
The Sprint Section and the King of the Mountain section at Beloka will not be affected.
The L'Etape Australia Team is dedicated to delivering a safe event for all riders.
See you at the start-line!
RIDER TRANSPORT FROM JINDABYNE
L'Etape Australia has organised free shuttles for all riders from Jindabyne to Bullocks Flat after the race.
LikeComment
Chronological
Kristopher Bignell, Leonie Penton, Mitchell Giles and 46 others like this.
52 shares
Comments
View previous comments

User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
Posts: 4645
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:13 am

find_bruce wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:It's promoted as a race, run under TdF-like conditions. Some of those seeking to race the event will be taking risks. It's inevitable.
Do you know if they have permission from the NSW Police Commissioner to hold a race? I am sure you are all too familiar with the procedural nightmare that particular process usually involves.

No I don't know.

Having said that there are more police working at the event than at any other cycle event/race in the country. More than at any pro race.

User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
Posts: 4645
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:14 am

Stay safe people.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10002
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:28 am

+1 to the above, take it easy on the descents and get through to the finish.

User avatar
Kev365428
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 am
Location: Ingleburn, NSW
Contact:

Re: Who's doing LeTape this Saturday?

Postby Kev365428 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Well, as mentioned above, the course was shortened and as far as I can tell, there were only a few minor spills.
Considering the conditions and some of the descents, this is pretty good.

The police were fantastic again this year. All smiles and waves for the competitors and spectators, and plenty of them to ensure a safe event. Best of all is the fact they were quite willing to take the advice of the commissaires during the race on where they should be in relation to the bunch or single riders.

Looking forward to next year already.

Oh, and while the weather down Jindy was reasonable, I did hear reports that Perisher had 130mm of rain before 9am.

Kev.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users