A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Part 4- The Comeback!

ldrcycles

Re: A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Part 4- The Comeback!

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 am

singlespeedscott wrote:That sounds like fun
It was, in it's own particular way :lol:

Hoping to write it up at lunchtime, I've been rushed off my feet the last couple of days.

Remember if you're on Facebook, the dumbed down, short version of what I have on here gets uploaded very quickly- https://www.facebook.com/LDRcycles/
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Only the relive video can truly show the scale of your ride

https://www.relive.cc/view/1628592283
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:30 pm

marty_one wrote:Only the relive video can truly show the scale of your ride

https://www.relive.cc/view/1628592283
It really hammered the point home huh? :lol: Big thank you to Wakatuki for putting me on to that. I can't wait to see the Innisfail-Cairns one :mrgreen:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Ok, writing about things that happened 4 days ago like I can still remember it properly, let's give it a crack :lol:

With the cold mornings we've had lately I wasn't in any great hurry to get going, so hopped on the bike at Kilkivan at 6:26.

The temperature was surprisingly mild thanks to some serious fog.

The sun rose as I headed towards Kinbombi, and the soft, gold tinted colours of the landscape were simply stunning. One day I really need to get a better camera so I can properly show this sort of thing.

The climb up the Kinbombi Range was just as much fun as I expected, and coming across a feral cat on the flats heading towards Goomeri was far more fun than I would have expected. Did you know a feral cat can reach 35kmh? :lol:

I had been planning on eating at Murgon, but things were taking longer than expected with a consistent headwind, so I stopped a few kms after Goomeri instead. That helped for dealing with the Manyung Minefield (2 distinct sections of dangerous rocks) and the endless sand patches around Moondooner. After a quick stop at Murgon for more food and to text an update for Mrs LDR to put on the facebook page (no data on my mobile), I was on to the glorious bitumen. In spite of all the stops for photos and food, I managed to get the Goomeri-Murgon KOM by 16 seconds.

The ride down to Kingaroy was uneventful, with the headwind only getting more solid, by the final climb past Crawford I was going very slowly indeed.

After stopping at O'Neill Square (and leaving the Garmin tucked in a safe spot so as not to upset the GPS trace) I nipped over to Macca's to refuel. The legs were still feeling pretty reasonable, so with the southerly still blowing I was looking forward to a much easier run north. After sitting down for half an hour it took a few kms to warm up again, but once I did it was a great ride, the 7.6km from Tingoora to Wondai going by at a 34.5kmh average. On a mountain bike!

There's something about the Wondai to Murgon section though, no matter how long a ride I'm on there's always trouble there. This time round as I ticked over 127kms I suddenly got hit by a severe stitch/stomach cramp. I think the issue was drinking too much water, too quickly, but I'd much rather that than dehydration. I gently limped into Murgon, concentrating on my breathing, and decided a Powerade from the servo was a good idea. One of my bottles had broken, so I'd be more comfortable with having an extra vessel on hand for the more remote Murgon-Kilkivan stretch. As it was, I drank the whole thing before leaving, and couldn't find a tap on the northern side of town, so just went on with the one bottle.

The cramping had settled down, not to return, but now the issue was fatigue. The pain was starting to build up, so the speed was dropping, often below 20kmh. The crummy trail surface didn't help there at all, nor did the fact the tailwind died completely at Murgon and then swirled all over the place for a while. The few waterways on that section make even me think twice, so with little water left I was relieved to reach Goomeri (even though South Burnett tap water tastes pretty crook).

From there to Kilkivan, it was just a matter of keeping the legs turning, helped somewhat by a nice tailwind popping up.

Finally, after 9 hours, 5 minutes and 44 seconds, I limped into Kilkivan. Over an hour later than what I thought was a conservative estimate! God knows how, but that was good enough to get the Murgon-Kilkivan KOM as well. The ride wasn't done without a suitable finish photo though, and that meant finding someone to take it for me. I managed to find a slightly terrified kid and convince him to snap off a single photo before he handed the phone back and fled.

I had a nice phone interview with the South Burnett Times during the week, so hopefully it will make the Friday paper :) .

Now the focus turns North, obviously knocking out an Imperial and then some on a mountain bike is a huge confidence booster, but I'm still nervous as hell. We leave for Rockhampton on Wednesday, so the next few days will be all about double and triple checking I have everything I need packed.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Good Job, Just a side thought, maybe contact Cycling Australia to see if they have any interest in doing an article and maybe resurrecting some interest in the records your going after.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:42 pm

marty_one wrote:Good Job, Just a side thought, maybe contact Cycling Australia to see if they have any interest in doing an article and maybe resurrecting some interest in the records your going after.
I might have mentioned it earlier in this thread, but they were very clear that they had no interest in road records when I contacted them about my planned attempt on the 1,000 mile record a few years ago. Which is fine, their thing is organised racing, not inter-city or long distance records.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 am

In a frenzy of preparation (including sourcing a derailleur hanger to replace the one that bent when I dropped the TT bike getting it out of my car last night :oops: ) so not much to report. The piece on the rail trail record went into Monday's South Burnett Times though, which is nice. They could really do with a proof reader there, and my comments on the Gympie Council section of trail came out a lot more diplomatic in print :lol: .

https://www.southburnetttimes.com.au/ne ... l/3445013/

I had a quick chat to the Cairns Post yesterday, and will probably have interviews with them and the Innisfail Advocate today. All systems go!

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:11 am

That's awesome to be getting some coverage in the local news.

I think your write up was better than what they put up.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:15 pm

marty_one wrote:That's awesome to be getting some coverage in the local news.

I think your write up was better than what they put up.
I did sports writing for the Noosa Journal a decade or so ago, making the events of a small squash club sound interesting every week is good training :lol:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:15 pm

After loading up Mrs LDR's car with only the bare essentials for a family holiday...

The drive up to Rockhampton SUCKED. It's a joke that the Highway is still only a single lane with the traffic volumes it's carrying.

Thursday morning I set out for a group ride with my brother in Rocky. The group turned out to be one other bloke, and one more that hopped on as we made our way out to Gracemere. It was jolly cold, despite the pace being up around 35kmh. Apart from a homicidal kangaroo aiming straight for us, luckily missing thanks to panicked evasive action by 3 riders (I was on the front and blissfully unaware until all hell broke loose behind me) it was an uneventful ride. Being as I'm in tourist mode, we then headed along the Fitzroy river for some sightseeing as the sun rose.

After FINALLY getting Mrs LDR and Winnie in the car I promptly got lost in Rockhampton on the way north. That was something of an omen, as the next 530 odd kms sucked even more than the first day, with crushingly awful scenery, roads, and drivers, not to mention Winnie being a nightmare. We eventually reached Bowen late in the afternoon, and sort of liked it. It's an odd place, it's got that bleak coastal thing going, but with pretty touches too. It's hard to tell if it's flourishing or dying, it could be either. Fellows Fish Bar do some cracking chips though.

It was windy and cold when we got there, and it was still windy and cold this morning when I set out for a ride. I headed for Flagstaff Hill, which turned out to be a short but steep climb with spectacular views out over to the islands.

From there I headed south into the wind to go over a northbound strava segment (though I didn't know exactly where it was) and came up with 8th place on a 47.8kmh average.

The drive up to Tully was fantastic compared to the last 2 days, although Winnie was a constant headache (Mrs LDR was also a headache, but not constantly so), and we had the joys of halfwits with caravans doing 60kmh in a 100 zone FOR NO DAMN REASON. We were thoroughly unimpressed with Townsville, at least the area north of Marlborough was spectacular in it's unpleasantness, Townsville was just crushingly ugly. I should say that this was the view from the highway, maybe the city itself is nicer, we'll find out on the way back south next week.

Once we got up to Home Hill things got greener, and it just kept getting nicer until we reached Tully. Much as constant rain frustrates me being an outdoor person, I immediately took a liking to the place, especially with the big sugar mill front and centre with smoke and steam gushing from every angle. It's a beautiful place, and makes me think of what Pomona would have looked like back in the days when it rode on the back of agriculture.

Tomorrow morning we drive up to Cairns to check out the route in person (there are some hills early on in the course I particularly want to assess), then back down to Innisfail for the newspaper interview and hopefully a good night's sleep (assuming my nerves will allow it).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:46 am

The boy is underway and it's wet. :) Been going for a bit over an hour.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:03 pm

Write up on the record ride finally done (boy technology is a pain sometimes!)- http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 6#p1452953

With that out of the way the family holiday has actually started, up to the Atherton Tablelands today, and off to the Aquarium tomorrow. I'm hoping to ride the Kuranda Range in the morning, but only if the weather plays nice.

Once we get back home next week preparation will start for the approvals for the next record ride :mrgreen:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:51 pm

Finally back home after 3,944kms of driving. I'll get a proper post up tomorrow now that I have decent internet again.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Funnily enough, on the last day of the road trip Mrs LDR asked if I was really okay with doing all the driving, saying "you always do this, do everything until you're completely worn out". Piffle I said.

Well the day after we got home I was completely worn out :lol: Just coming good now in time to go back to work tomorrow :roll:

On the plus side though, I was able to go over the calendar and pencil in the record attempts for the rest of the year, all 14 of them :mrgreen: It starts with another South Burnett Rail Trail foray on the 22nd of this month. I know I can take a big chunk of time off my 9hr5m44s end to end return record, and I'm confident of getting the one way records in both directions to boot.

The next on road record attempt should be Tully-Cairns on the 19th of August. The current record of 6hr55 was set back in 1937 and equates to a mere 20.2kmh on the current roads, so if the weather cooperates I'd be able to cruise easily to Innisfail, then have a go at improving on my time from there to Cairns.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately!) with Mrs LDR due in mid December, there isn't enough time for an attempt on the Brisbane-Rockhampton record (615kms in 34h26m). It's a toss up as to which would be harder, the training or calming the hysteria that would surely result from the application to Main Roads :lol: It may still happen some years down the line, along with Townsville-Ingham and a few others.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Just a quick update, nipped out for the 40k loop around Noosa last night and managed 35.9kmh average on an empty stomach in spite of some slow traffic holding me up along the river.

Tully-Cairns is now off the list as my boss will be away at the time, meaning I'll have to work Saturday morning, and it's simply impossible to get from Noosa to Tully in that window. The SBRT record attempt is still on for Sunday week, hopefully with warmer weather than the -2 degrees predicted for this weekend!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Another 40km Noosa loop last night, and another procession of motorists with the IQ of a plank of wood :roll: . I feel like getting an air horn for the bars, though I wonder if it would do any good.

In spite of the rolling roadblocks, I went 8 seconds faster than the previous night, and all the slowing and getting back up to speed made for great training. Going flat out helped to deal with the cold, I finished about 6:40 and it was starting to get cold enough that even going at 100% wasn't enough to keep me warm.

The forecast for Kingaroy next weekend is warmer than today's -4.4, but still around the freezing mark! I'll have to wear every item of clothing I own :lol:

Off to the Abbey Medieval Festival tomorrow morning with my sister and Winnie, I'm hoping to get back early enough for an afternoon ride around Kin Kin on the mountain bike.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:19 am

Be prepared for traffic grid lock at the Abbey. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:28 pm

No issues at the Abbey itself, vast free parking areas with very good traffic control. The Bruce Highway on the other hand... it took 2.5hrs to get from Coolum to the Toorbul turnoff :shock: Average speed was under 30kmh, I could have ridden faster than that!

The festival was great though, nothing like a bit of educational violence :lol: . Unfortunately we were looking into the afternoon sun at the jousting arena so I wasn't able to get any decent shots, but it was great entertainment.

Noosa Council has started roadside collection, and that means it's picking season! I got a very nice spin bike with a whopping great flywheel on it that will be far more enjoyable to ride than the mag trainer, a Diamondback Criterium roadbike (a touch too small for me but it should clean up alright) and a few other bits and pieces. That's just week one, and it goes for nearly 2 months! :mrgreen:

After swimming with Winnie this morning, taking some roadside collection mag wheels to the scrap yard ($63 for maybe half an hour's work :mrgreen: ), and picking up the spin bike, I hopped on the 29er for an afternoon ride around Kin Kin. It turned out to be pretty damn cold as sunset approached, but I managed to take 6m9s off my record for the 14km trail loop. That has me sitting over 40 minutes ahead of 2nd place, I really hope some of the local MTB guys get out there to have a crack as it's a little embarrassing to have such a huge gap!

Probably more riding around Noosa on the Shiv tomorrow evening if the weather cooperates.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:47 pm

Another 40km Noosa loop last night, and while I was again held up by slow cars, I managed the same old 1hr8m. I'm consistent if nothing else! Once the weather warms up a bit and I can ride earlier in the morning or later at night I'll be able to see what I've really got, I want that sub 1hr!

More phone calls and paperwork today, the application for Brisbane-Gympie is with Brisbane City Council, I'm waiting for Gympie Council to issue another letter (I stuffed up the first route description I sent them) and Sunshine Coast Council says their lady is away until Monday so I'll have to wait. With all the local government stuff underway, it was time to find out which poor sod in TMR would need to deal with me. Unsurprisingly, after clearly explaining to the robot answering machine what I wanted, I ended up with a confused operator in the vehicle rego department :lol: . She put me through to Maroochydore, and they said "don't worry about sending the applications to different offices, just send it to us and we'll work it out". All of them? "How many do you have?"

Ahh, a few :lol:

All 7 sent in this evening, each one with an Event Management Plan, Route Description (showing the time, distance, and elapsed time at every intersection), 3 or 4 maps, and liability insurance certificate. Heaven help the poor bugger who has to wade through all that tomorrow morning!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention, the forecast for Kingaroy this Sunday is now -1 :shock: Should be a fair bit warmer by the time singlespeedscott and I head off at 7 but it'll still be mighty nippy.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:08 am

It will still be -1 at 7. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 pm

foo on patrol wrote:It will still be -1 at 7. :wink:

Foo
Damn you're right, the forecast is now for -2.3 with -0.7 at 7am!

It's supposed to warm up quickly after that though, so fingers crossed.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:35 am

Current temp in Kingaroy -2.4 degrees and dropping :shock: This is going to hurt!

And while I remember it, I found out the other day that while my SBRT end to end return was the fastest, it wasn't the first. A bloke called Samuel Larkin was the first to do it, the month before me. I didn't find it when I first looked because his sector times were so slow I assumed he was just doing a short ride. No he did the whole thing, in 13hr54 :shock:

Enough procrastinating, time to get in the car!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Well that wasn't what I was hoping for. Appointment booked with the gp for tomorrow morning, hopefully there's good news. I'll have a proper writeup tomorrow.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Before I get onto Sunday, I'll just cover Saturday because it was somewhat eventful as well.

I took the morning off work to head out to Manumbar, where Vale View droughtmaster stud was having an open day. Dairying is dead, the numbers don't add up for small crops, and goats in Kin Kin are a disaster, so the clear path forward is to run beef cows. Given I've only got a maximum of perhaps 160 acres at my disposal, the way to make it worthwhile is for each animal to be worth a fair bit. Vale View's bulls routinely go for $20,000 or more so they certainly know about turning out high value critters.

Mrs LDR was otherwise engaged so it was just Winnie and I.

I ended up finding the poor unsuspecting owner of the stud and interrogating him for about 3/4 of an hour, which answered a hell of a lot of questions and showed me how different beef is to dairy and how much I need to learn.

Winnie's favourite part of the morning (apart from sitting in the yard pouring dirt down the front of her shirt) was the sausage sizzle we got on the way out :lol:

All was well until we came into Kilkivan and heard a noise from the back of the car. I stopped, expecting to find a rock in the tread to flick out, and instead was faced with a very flat tyre. Oh well, that's what spares are for. Except, where's the wheel brace?

That's right, in Mrs LDR's car (long story). So we ended up walking about a kilometre to the ag shop on the other side of town to borrow a wheel brace, walk back to the car, operate the jack with an allen key (because of course, the factory wheel brace serves as the crank handle), put the spare on and then return the wheel brace to the ag shop and get the flat tyre plugged. All that took about an hour and a half, but I can't speak highly enough of the proprietor of the shop, he was fantastic to deal with.

So that was my relaxing Saturday, back home in time to get everything in the car for a ride on Sunday...