BNA Losers Club 2018

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Patt0
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:31 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby Patt0 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:05 am

Patt0 wrote:
Nobody wrote:
WHtR has increased, but waist is unchanged. Something appears to be a typo.

Yeah lower carb usually is great initially, but can become more difficult as time moves on.


I guess my waist has enough flaccidity that the measurements can be up or down depending on how hard I pull on the tape :oops: .

What did you do after you did low carb?



Patt0 wrote:
Patt0 wrote:
6/7/18
Height=183cm
WtHtr=0.45
Weight=84kg
Waist= 82cm
:oops:


Another oops.

Height=183cm
WtHtr=0.46
Weight=85kg
Waist= 82cm


I dumped that kilo and back to 84kg. Looks like I am gonna have to cram to get to 75kg by years end.


I have noticed my hands and feet have shrunk in diameter in teh last year. I am now getting a cm on my shoe velco, my hands have gone from 26 to 24cm and just measured my wrists and they have gone from 20 to 18cm.
Image

Nobody
Posts: 9007
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:20 am

Nobody wrote:Yeah lower carb usually is great initially, but can become more difficult as time moves on.

What I meant by this is that the average low(er) carb diet is great for initial weight loss, but people can struggle over the longer term (years). The body appears to adapt. For health it's not recommended.

Patt0 wrote:I guess my waist has enough flaccidity that the measurements can be up or down depending on how hard I pull on the tape :oops: .

I find if I try to pull the tape lightly without looking while doing it, I get a more accurate reading. Obviously consistency is most important.

Patt0 wrote:What did you do after you did low carb?

Sorry for the confusion. I've got my impression of low-carb weight loss from studies and others' anecdotes. I'm whole food, low fat, plant only. Been at it for over 5 years and still light and relatively healthy considering my age (50) and other health impairments (Meniere's Disease, Haemochromatosis, shift worker).

Patt0 wrote:I dumped that kilo and back to 84kg. Looks like I am gonna have to cram to get to 75kg by years end.

About 5 and a half weeks to lose 9 kg. Yeah 5 kg may be relatively easy, but 9 kg is going to be tough.

nemo57
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby nemo57 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:54 pm

Haven't checked in here since July, I think, when I was a bit under 85. The rate of loss has flattened out since then, and now ranging around 81.5-82.5. At over 12Kg lost since Boxing Day last year, I'm tolerably pleased. Don't really expect significant further loss, although it may happen if I maintain the weekly distance at over 200km, I guess.
Two other coincidences: having been on cholesterol lowering meds for years and years (I was in free game double digit territory at one stage: not really surprising that I had a stroke in my mid-40s) I've been taken off them as unnecessary; and cardiologist who two years ago was concerned that my heart was beating irregularly 24% of the time just told me he doesn't want to see me again. It's sorted itself out. Either that or he's given it up as hopeless.
Overall, I think I can theorise that spinning the legs is good for you. Even though at 61 I'm older than some of you, done a whole lot fewer miles over the years, still smoking, drinking and enjoying food that would make some of you shudder.

Nobody
Posts: 9007
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby Nobody » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Congratulations on the gains.

nemo57 wrote:...having been on cholesterol lowering meds for years and years... I've been taken off them as unnecessary;

Do you remember the total cholesterol number you had that caused the GP to take you off the meds?

CKinnard
Posts: 3120
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby CKinnard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:14 pm

nemo57 wrote:Overall, I think I can theorise that spinning the legs is good for you. Even though at 61 I'm older than some of you, done a whole lot fewer miles over the years, still smoking, drinking and enjoying food that would make some of you shudder.


a bit dangerous to consider it an unqualified fact that spinning your legs is good for you.
It depends on
- how much fatty scar tissue you have in your heart muscle and conduction system
- how atherosclerotic your coronary arteries are
- how long you ride and subject your heart to stress
- how intense you ride.

If you are still eating a lot of crap and smoking, I wouldn't suggest you do intense sprints or ascents.
Arrhythmia, MI, or CVA would be a real risk.
Weight loss is one thing, undoing decades of damage is another.

nemo57
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby nemo57 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Nobody wrote:Do you remember the total cholesterol number you had that caused the GP to take you off the meds?

Under 3 on a combined measure. Probably shooting up again now ...
CKinnard wrote:a bit dangerous to consider it an unqualified fact that spinning your legs is good for you.
It depends on
- how much fatty scar tissue you have in your heart muscle and conduction system
- how atherosclerotic your coronary arteries are
- how long you ride and subject your heart to stress
- how intense you ride.

If you are still eating a lot of crap and smoking, I wouldn't suggest you do intense sprints or ascents.
Arrhythmia, MI, or CVA would be a real risk.
Weight loss is one thing, undoing decades of damage is another.

I'm more of an all things in moderation type - including my bad habits. It's been a slow gentle buildup over the past 18 months. Bit by bit the distances grow longer, the impossible climbs become possible, the weight comes off. Let it hurt a bit, but there's no prizes for hurting too much. Still, my sleeping heart rate is low 40s and last BP measure was 120/70, which I'm told is fine.

Nobody
Posts: 9007
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby Nobody » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:28 pm

nemo57 wrote:Under 3 on a combined measure. Probably shooting up again now ...

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that's pretty low.

nemo57 wrote:... last BP measure was 120/70, which I'm told is fine.

It's not bad, but under the latest categorisation, the systolic is edging into elevated.

Image

nemo57
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby nemo57 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:41 pm

It's been a deal worse in the past! But tanx.

Nobody
Posts: 9007
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby Nobody » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 am

26 days since last measurement.

Waist 74.5 cm - up 0.5
WHtR 0.433

61.4 kg - up 0.7
BMI 20.8

Goal ranges:- waist 73 - 76 cm; weight 60 - 64 kg[/quote]

It appears that the reintroduction of starch hasn't helped. 3 weeks to go, but I'm still 3 cm thinner and 3.9 kg lighter than I was at the beginning of the year.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users