Need New Sunglasses

fergy1987
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Need New Sunglasses

Postby fergy1987 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 am

So I just broke my Sunglasses and am after some new ones but not sure what to actually get.

I had just a cheapo pair of Jetblack sunnies with the interchangeable lenses, which I liked the concept of - but did get a bit annoying swapping lenses around.

So I am after some recommendations, but not keen to go buying Oakleys or anything like that, probably only want to spend like $40 or something around that. UV Protection is a big factor though.

I think I have a small head :P I am only a small guy so something that would fit would be good. I'm in Brisbane so if anyone also knows a good place to go try some sports sunnies on too that would be great. Places I have been have quite a limited selection. Happy to buy online though if the chances of size fitting is high :P

Only concern would be riding in early winter morning/late evening with it being a bit dark....but worst case I can pick up some cheap clear ones for those rides and swap them out when the sun comes up.

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2398
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby silentC » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 am

I go through sunnies like other people go through loo roll. My current pair are Shimano photocromatic.I think I paid around a hundred bucks for them because I had a gift certificate at the LBS but you can get them cheaper off ebay - not Shimano there are ten trillion Chinese rip offs that are much cheaper.

I like them because I do most of my riding early in the morning and so they are almost clear when you start out but darken up as it gets lighter. I'd say they are not great in full sun, but better than nothing.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

NASHIE
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby NASHIE » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Bunnings, safety glasses come in tinted, clear, yellow, few different designs $20-$30 look fine and do the job if your not worried about brand logos on your kit.

fergy1987
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby fergy1987 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 pm

silentC wrote:I go through sunnies like other people go through loo roll. My current pair are Shimano photocromatic.I think I paid around a hundred bucks for them because I had a gift certificate at the LBS but you can get them cheaper off ebay - not Shimano there are ten trillion Chinese rip offs that are much cheaper.

I like them because I do most of my riding early in the morning and so they are almost clear when you start out but darken up as it gets lighter. I'd say they are not great in full sun, but better than nothing.


Are Photocromatic something I should be looking at? In terms of not great in full sun - are they enough to keep the sun out of your eyes and keep the glare out? or would I be better off just looking for some full tint sunnies for that.

fishwop
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby fishwop » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Rockbros are available on e-bay under $30 with photochromatic plus red-tinted lenses (you get both but they are fiddly to swap over). This is what I have and they are good for day or night riding. You have to be careful though as the frames are a tad brittle. Nothing a tube of superglue can't fix.

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2398
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby silentC » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Are Photocromatic something I should be looking at? In terms of not great in full sun - are they enough to keep the sun out of your eyes and keep the glare out? or would I be better off just looking for some full tint sunnies for that.

It's worth considering. They are a little bit darker than clear and not quite as dark as a normal pair of sunnies. When I head out just as the sun is coming up, I can see pretty well and they gradually get darker as the sun gets higher, so theoretically your view remains the same. But in full sunlight during the day they are probably not sufficient to stop the glare - as I say better than nothing but not as good as a good pair of polarised lenses. They wouldn't be suitable at all for night/pre-dawn riding.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7693
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 pm

fergy1987 wrote:
silentC wrote:I go through sunnies like other people go through loo roll. My current pair are Shimano photocromatic.I think I paid around a hundred bucks for them because I had a gift certificate at the LBS but you can get them cheaper off ebay - not Shimano there are ten trillion Chinese rip offs that are much cheaper.

I like them because I do most of my riding early in the morning and so they are almost clear when you start out but darken up as it gets lighter. I'd say they are not great in full sun, but better than nothing.


Are Photocromatic something I should be looking at? In terms of not great in full sun - are they enough to keep the sun out of your eyes and keep the glare out? or would I be better off just looking for some full tint sunnies for that.

Photocromatic cannot cover the full spectrum from light to dark & so comes in 2 basic varieties (1) starts off clear but doesn't get dark & (2) starts a light grey & then gets almost as dark as sunnies. Better quality has a slightly bigger range but its not much

I have had both & prefer the later - clear enough to ride home at night, dark enough to ride during the day. My latest paid were Ocean brand, less that $90 from Reid on sale, but they no longer stock them. Sadly I have worn holes in the nose piece & so am on the lookout for replacements, so following this thread with interest

am50em
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby am50em » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:04 pm

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/JetBlack-Svelto-Photochromatic-Sunglasses $85.
On my second pair of these. First ones lasted 3 years. Never seem to go very dark but they protect my eyes all day no problem.
I find them nice and light and comfortable.

Farmer Elvis
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:45 pm
Location: Nort West N.SW.

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby Farmer Elvis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:48 pm

I've been using jet black photocromatic, they last around 2yrs then seem to start fogging badly. They suit me, seem OK in bright light, OK just on sunrise or sunset, not really perfect at anytime but do the job on a budget without changing lenses

Robdog
Posts: 1858
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby Robdog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 pm

I've had Rudy Project Rydons for over 10 years. Very adjustable, lightweight, really comfortable and a huge range of lenses that are easy to swap.

Stretching the budget, but you can usually grab a pair on Ebay around $100. I've broken one pair, but had the replacements for about 6 years and they don't look like coming close to wearing out.
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

MellerYeller
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:47 pm

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby MellerYeller » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 pm

I know you said you didn't want Oakley, but I'll put my 2c in.

Recently got a pair of EV Zero Path Photochromics. Frameless, very light, very comfortable, but it's been very cool and cloudy in Sydney so far so I can't say much about how dark they get in full sunlight.

Very good so far in the early mornings though, and the coverage over my eyes is good - my contact lenses are yet to dry up over a 3hour ride.

Bough them online for $200AUD, but I found them for $190 at the Oakley shop in the DFO Jindalee Brisbane. Sadly my order had already shipped.

fat and old
Posts: 3480
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby fat and old » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:36 am

Another pair of Rydons here. 6 yr old, going strong with original lenses that came with. Have a pair of 1999 Rudy Project Tayos that I use maybe 50% of my riding. Original lenses, going strong and looking good.

FWIW, also have a pair of Oakleys and Foakleys...Racing Jacket or something. $120.00 on super sale for originals, $17.00 for the fakes. Original lenses swap straight in, no issues. If I was more into them I'd buy the fakes and then the real lenses.

Fave shades are my Ray Ban Baloramas. Do the job as well as the rest bar the Tayos. Plus can wear off the bike without looking like a 1950's idea of a 2000's man :lol:

They all fog sometime or other when riding hard. 35 years of shades and M/C helmets has taught me to deal with it. No such thing as perfect.

BJL
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby BJL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 am

I've got a pair of Rudy Projects with photo-chromatic lenses. They came with 2 or 3 other lenses of different shades but I've never bothered to use them. They're not as dark as proper sunglasses in the bright sun but they're dark enough. The only criticism I have is that photo-chromatic lenses do take time to adjust which can be a nuisance in conditions where the light rapidly changes. First time I really noticed it was on a late afternoon descent of Mt Buffalo. Descended from the top in which was in the shade, then came around the first hairpin right into the sun and was almost blinded for a few seconds until the sunnies caught up. Now that I'm aware of it, it doesn't bother me so much.It can also be a nuisance when riding under trees on sunny days when the sun 'flickers' through the trees.

Having said that, the vast majority of the time, photo-chromatic lenses are great. Perfect for all day rides which may start and end in darkness and rides (like my last ride) when the weather conditions varied from foggy, to sunny, then two thunderstorms with heavy rain, a patch of heavy fog with very limited visibility for about 10kms, and then back to sunny!

Arbuckle23
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:41 am

Have just got some photochromic lenses for my Jawbreakers to try out for rides that start or finish in the dark. Hoping I haven't wasted money :)

Hergest
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby Hergest » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:Have just got some photochromic lenses for my Jawbreakers to try out for rides that start or finish in the dark. Hoping I haven't wasted money :)


I think you will be happy. I've used photochromatic lenses on my Radarlock XLs for about 5 years now and i would assume the optics to be the same as with the Jawbreakers. They are great in the dark and although they never achieve full darkness like a pair of sunglasses in full sun they still provide enough shade to not be bothered by the midday light. I can't think of a single ride where I've been bothered by glare or too bright sunlight.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Image

fergy1987
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Well I went with some Tifosi Intense sunglasses from Wiggle. Basically going to use them as a stop gap as I have nothing now and then eventually look at getting something a bit better. But these should hopefully do the job for now. Cheers for the replies everyone.

Magpie
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby Magpie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:01 am

I’ve used both Oakley and Bartz in photochromatic, I can start in the dark then transition to full sun, so they work well enough that I don’t need to change to something darker in full sun. The Bartz I have also have a bifocal reading lenses as well, so no need to take reading glasses on a ride

User avatar
outnabike
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby outnabike » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:58 pm

I bought three pair in this class.
Lens category 3: Sunglasses
Similar to category 2, these sunglasses provide a good level of UV protection. Lens category 3 glasses also provide a high level of sun glare reduction.

So I have yellow, tan and grey. All polarized and guaranteed to be eye safe......I hope. :roll:

They are just for cycling and were only around $50-00 all up. I do drop or scratch sunnies, if not just lose them, so I don't think big dollars is going to do a lot for me.

I read every where that you don't need to spend a lot of money for safe glasses. I Hope these fit into that category. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

JPB
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby JPB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:00 pm

outnabike wrote:I bought three pair in this class.
Lens category 3: Sunglasses
Similar to category 2, these sunglasses provide a good level of UV protection. Lens category 3 glasses also provide a high level of sun glare reduction.

So I have yellow, tan and grey. All polarized and guaranteed to be eye safe......I hope. :roll:

They are just for cycling and were only around $50-00 all up. I do drop or scratch sunnies, if not just lose them, so I don't think big dollars is going to do a lot for me.

I read every where that you don't need to spend a lot of money for safe glasses. I Hope these fit into that category. :)


Details and a Review please :)

User avatar
outnabike
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby outnabike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Bit of a stretch to find now it was 6 months ago, I will try. I think it is before I changed the hard drive.

But here is similar. Mine were separate frames in different colour and came from Darwin of all places.

These have change over lenses from aus amazon. I have not bought off amazon yet.


https://www.amazon.com.au/Auveach-Photo ... es+for+men
Auveach Photochromic Cycling Glasses Polarized Sunglasses Men Women MTB Road Bike Eyewear Bicycle Goggles - Blue


Price: $36.99
In stock.
Ships from and sold by Auveach.
Colour: Blue
• Transparent Gray Frames
• Explosion-Proof PC Lenses
• 3 Lenses, PC Frame
• Removable Temples, With Myopia Frame.
• Adjustable Nose Pads
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

JPB
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Need New Sunglasses

Postby JPB » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users