Bike Appraisal

inanout

Bike Appraisal

Postby inanout » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:34 am

Hi, is this a good bike for general commuting for around $500?

https://www.apollobikes.com/bikes/urban ... -20/detail
FRAME Superlite triple butted 6061 aluminium frame with integrated head tube, pannier mounts and replaceable forged derailleur hanger
FORK Carbon UD composite fork with straight blades, alloy steerer/crown 1-1/8" integrated with rack and fender mounts

CRANKSET Suntuor XCE 48x 38 x 28T L: S/M=170mm, L/XL=175mm
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M-191 8 speed top swing for 31.8
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Acera 8 speed
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano EF-510 Ez Fire 24 speed

CASSETTE Shimano 8 speed cassette 12-32T
BRAKES Mini alloy linear pull calipers
TYRES Veetire Roadrunner, 700 x 28c wire bead
WHEELS 700c custom Weinmann X-M1 32 hole double wall A/V rims, alloy hubs and stainless spokes.

find_bruce

Re: Bike Appraisal

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:00 am

As an entry-level commuter its fine, whether its the best bike for a bloke weighing 115kg is a different question. I would suggest asking the shop the maximum rider weight the bike is designed for. I would also be looking at slightly bigger tyres - 32c will not only give you more comfort, but will reduce some of the stress on the wheels.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:05 am

inanout wrote:Hi, is this a good bike for general commuting for around $500?

https://www.apollobikes.com/bikes/urban ... -20/detail
FRAME Superlite triple butted 6061 aluminium frame with integrated head tube, pannier mounts and replaceable forged derailleur hanger
FORK Carbon UD composite fork with straight blades, alloy steerer/crown 1-1/8" integrated with rack and fender mounts

CRANKSET Suntuor XCE 48x 38 x 28T L: S/M=170mm, L/XL=175mm
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M-191 8 speed top swing for 31.8
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Acera 8 speed
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano EF-510 Ez Fire 24 speed

CASSETTE Shimano 8 speed cassette 12-32T
BRAKES Mini alloy linear pull calipers
TYRES Veetire Roadrunner, 700 x 28c wire bead
WHEELS 700c custom Weinmann X-M1 32 hole double wall A/V rims, alloy hubs and stainless spokes.

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: That's a good bike for $500. Shimano make great bike components, but those are towards the bottom of their range. There's nothing wrong with that - they will still work satisfactorily and they will last as well as the dearer stuff.

It's a pretty good frame and fork for that price. You could spend a lot more money than that and get something slightly lighter, with better braking and gear shifting, but that bike will get the job done.

Make sure that you get the right size to suit you, because you need to be comfortable on it.

Get it serviced regularly, or learn how to do it yourself.

Have fun!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:44 am

find_bruce wrote:As an entry-level commuter its fine, whether its the best bike for a bloke weighing 115kg is a different question. I would suggest asking the shop the maximum rider weight the bike is designed for. I would also be looking at slightly bigger tyres - 32c will not only give you more comfort, but will reduce some of the stress on the wheels.

I think that it should be fine coping with that weight. The frame and the fork will be fine, with the only thing to worry about being the wheels. (As a 100kg+ rider, I had to upgrade a rear wheel on my commuter, so I've got some experience with this!)

These wheels - 700c custom Weinmann X-M1 32 hole double wall A/V rims, alloy hubs and stainless spokes - should have no problems.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:44 am

I had an Exceed for a while, very similar specs, probably a few years old. Bought it with a busted rear mech and wheel for nice and cheap. I fixed it up and rode it for about 400km over a few months as a commuter and general road bike. I found it good to ride, the components were fine and think it would be good value new at $500. I probably would have had it a lot longer, but ended up getting a damaged disc brake bike for cheap and sold the exceed for $200 and built a nice disc brake commuter instead. Nothing wrong with the v-brake, just upgraditis.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 am

In short: I don't see the problem with the bike... It's an entry level bike with Shimano and Suntour bits on it. These are fairly well established Japanese brands. Whether you can ride it, you'll have to read the friendly manual and find out whether its designed to carry your weight. I got told off about this last time anyway where my core interest wasn't about a persons weight but buying a reasonable quality bike. So consult with the manual. Apollo have been making good entry level bikes for donkeys years, you can't go too far wrong otherwise.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 am

Kronos wrote:In short: I don't see the problem with the bike... It's an entry level bike with Shimano and Suntour bits on it. These are fairly well established Japanese brands. Whether you can ride it, you'll have to read the friendly manual and find out whether its designed to carry your weight. I got told off about this last time anyway where my core interest wasn't about a persons weight but buying a reasonable quality bike. So consult with the manual. Apollo have been making good entry level bikes for donkeys years, you can't go too far wrong otherwise.

No and no.
Again please do your homework and stop posting misleading stuff to people who are new to biking.
These maybe small fish issues to you but if the OP takes on the info you put up from here to the bike sellers he/she may come across as a fool (like you know who).
Suntour is not the old Japanese firm (who made very high quality parts) but SR Suntour based in Taipei and the current Apollo is another company and nothing but the same names as the bikes from the 1970s

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am

Kronos wrote:entry level bike with Shimano and Suntour bits on it.

Just about every dept store bike has Shimano gearing. Shimano do make rubbish as well.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 am

baabaa wrote:
Kronos wrote:In short: I don't see the problem with the bike... It's an entry level bike with Shimano and Suntour bits on it. These are fairly well established Japanese brands. Whether you can ride it, you'll have to read the friendly manual and find out whether its designed to carry your weight. I got told off about this last time anyway where my core interest wasn't about a persons weight but buying a reasonable quality bike. So consult with the manual. Apollo have been making good entry level bikes for donkeys years, you can't go too far wrong otherwise.

No and no.
Again please do your homework and stop posting misleading stuff to people who are new to biking.
These maybe small fish issues to you but if the OP takes on the info you put up from here to the bike sellers he/she may come across as a fool (like you know who).
Suntour is not the old Japanese firm (who made very high quality parts) but SR Suntour based in Taipei and the current Apollo is another company and nothing but the same names as the bikes from the 1970s

I'm running SR Suntour gear on my bike thats now consider the age of the rest of my frame (and residual components left such as stem and bars) is 22 years old. Actually after all these years there is nothing wrong with it. People will besmirch Taiwanese and Chinese parts like they tried to do to Japanese parts in the 1970s and 1980s, it didn't really work and is entirely beside the point. Whether its a mixture of Sakae and Suntour a cool mixture of a famous Japanese name and a pretty decent Taiwanese name that point is completely irrelevant. I was merely trying to get the person interested in the bike.

Anyhow, they are still parts of plenty decent quality. Parts that happen to come from that part of Asia is 100% fine and have been for at least the last 30 years. I'm well aware of the history... There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Giant has been proving there is absolutely nothing wrong with Taiwanese bikes for the last 30 odd years also. . People who try to hold on to issues about Taiwanese parts don't even tend to realise tha 90% of bikes these days either come out of Taiwan or China anyway but yeah nice try about that. I was unaware we needed a monologue surrounding the history of Sakae Ringyo and Suntour but here we are now discussing things that are irrelevant to the point. But since we're here, lets all remember what happened to all those cool American brands such as Specialized and GT and where they are now (if they're still around some arent) they're manufacturing generally in you guessed it China or Taiwan.

At this end of the market it really doesn't matter... All of this is besides the point, gear levers go click, gear changes... some groupsets do it slightly better. However, there really isn't a "bad" groupset on the market. There hasn't really been a groupset on the market for at least 20 years. There was nothing bad with the Shimano RSX groupset that was on my Giant I just so happened to upgrade to a SRAM 10 speed because I wanted one. The last bike I rode with a terrible groupset was a Malvern Star more than 20 years ago... :roll:

Yes and actually yes... You sound exactly like a road warrior that would run nothing less than Campy gear on your bike. Beside the point. Brand snobs aside this is supposed to be advice... Not technicalities on where SR Suntour is made today... which by the way doesn't really affect anything much at all considering nearly every brand today is either manufactured in China or Taiwan and most come out of the same factory with a different logo on it.