PSP Kwinana Fwy Roe Hwy Interchange

Baalzamon

PSP Kwinana Fwy Roe Hwy Interchange

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:30 pm

Roadworks are a foot. Roe Hwy will be extended to Murdoch Drv so you guessed it. Realignment for the bike path and most like a diversion again in the coming months. Clued into it today when I noticed the works they were doing were elevating and was flat so checked mainroads.
https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/home/southmetropolitan/murdochdrive/Pages/default.aspx
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Scott_C

Re: PSP Kwinana Fwy Roe Hwy Interchange

Postby Scott_C » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:01 pm

After cancelling the useful bike path that would have been provided with Roe 8 they are intending to build a new PSP along the Murdoch Drive extension from Roe Hwy to Leach Hwy. Why we need another 4km of PSP parallel to and within 1km of the existing PSP I don't know (especially saying it stops before Cranford Ave where it could have actually been useful) but that is what they are building.

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFi ... ramMap.pdf

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:59 am

Baalzamon wrote:Roadworks are a foot. Roe Hwy will be extended to Murdoch Drv so you guessed it. Realignment for the bike path and most like a diversion again in the coming months. Clued into it today when I noticed the works they were doing were elevating and was flat so checked mainroads.
https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/home/southmetropolitan/murdochdrive/Pages/default.aspx

I've looked at the MRD website regarding the pending closure of the PSP/ proposed detour details and can find nothing. An aquaintance says that a detour will be in place as of 19/9/18. Anyone got any more specific information?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Looks like the bike path will go underneath now woohoo
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:25 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Roadworks are a foot. Roe Hwy will be extended to Murdoch Drv so you guessed it. Realignment for the bike path and most like a diversion again in the coming months. Clued into it today when I noticed the works they were doing were elevating and was flat so checked mainroads.

I've looked at the MRD website regarding the pending closure of the PSP/ proposed detour details and can find nothing. An aquaintance says that a detour will be in place as of 19/9/18. Anyone got any more specific information?

The Kwinana Freeway Widening Works page has been updated with the detour details (.doc). As expected for MainRoads, the detour doesn't meet MainRoads' own guidelines for path users at roadworks (which requires that a detour "adequately replicates the existing path") and have a minimum width of 2m for bi-directional travel. Whereas this path requires on-road travel (including for disabled pedestrians, ~200m of the detour has no path at all) and, where footpaths are provided they either are curbside and get covered in rubbish bins that never get taken back in or are only 1.8m wide. There is one road crossing at traffic lights which, of course, don't have cycling lanterns and legally requires a dismount.

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Is there something I've missed on the current version of the project plan for the Murdoch Drive Connection?

The first versions of the plan had a bridge over the freeway to connect the Roe Highway PSP to the Freeway PSP instead of doing the loop-de-loop at Farrington Road.
I can't see it now.

Does anyone know if its still there, or has it been conveniently pushed aside due to "funding constraints" ?

cheers
Marc

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:01 am

That is one ugly detour.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:40 am

Gunnadothat wrote:Is there something I've missed on the current version of the project plan for the Murdoch Drive Connection?

The first versions of the plan had a bridge over the freeway to connect the Roe Highway PSP to the Freeway PSP instead of doing the loop-de-loop at Farrington Road.
I can't see it now.

Does anyone know if its still there, or has it been conveniently pushed aside due to "funding constraints" ?

cheers
Marc

The removal of the footbridge from the project was noted in the January 2018 Construction Reference Group minutes, the reason given for the removal in the April Minutes is "It was simply cost driven" , "with various items removed to remain within available budget with other routes available albeit longer."

With the footbridge and Murdoch Drive PSP deleted from the project the project is now purely negative for cyclists, due to a permanent lengthening of the PSP an on-road cycling ban on Murdoch Drive and all the stuffing around with below standard construction detours.

Apparently WestCycle is being consulted on these projects and is apparently giving the OK to stuff things up and provide detours that don't meet Australian Standards.

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:28 pm

So for those poor buggers who want to access Murdoch Uni from Bibra Lake, the only ways are substandard paths, or substandard roads - any improvements we were going to see have been completely eliminated.

As for Westcycle. pffft... sounds like they give it lip service. Obviously too far out of town for them to be bothered???
From the May meeting minutes:
Q
Are PSP users aware of the longer route that will be established as a result of this project?
A
We have worked with WestCycle and we continue to keep them up to date as a key cycling stakeholder. They also have their own cycling network communications mechanisms.