Review: Surly Extraterrestrial 26x2.5

Trevtassie

Review: Surly Extraterrestrial 26x2.5

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:50 am

Because I'm lazy, here is a review of the Extraterrestrial I posted on COB.
Just did 1000km of loaded touring on assorted sand, clay, road and pea gravel surfaces on the Extraterrestrials.
They are excellent... pumped up they roll better than my old Marathon Mondials on road. Let them down to 14PSI and they eat up sand and pea gravel(the Mundabiddi Track where I rode is famous for it's pea gravel, they actually use the stuff to make arrestor beds for runaway trucks) Run them at around 18PSI and they are great on clay and normal gravel. They seem especially good at running along the sloped edges of ruts, they surprised me how well they gripped even gravelly surfaces, I think it is the rounder profile compared to most tires.
One thing I should mention is that the tires should be fitted in opposite directions at either end. The front tire needs to be facing the "wrong way" according to the directional arrow on the sidewall. The idea is that V shaped treads need to cut down through loose surfaces to the harder substrate under braking. This means the point of the V on the ground should be pointing in the direction of travel. Facing the other way the tread will tend to pull loose material under the middle of the tire when braking. There is some technical reasoning in giving tires directional arrows in terms of casing fabric, but in my experience I've never had a casing fail, I'd prefer better handling.
I'm 90+ kg and the loaded bike was around 30+kg and even at 14psi I never bottomed out despite hitting some large rocks reasonably hard. I was running tubes, but apparently they will work tubeless, they fit really tight on my DT Swiss F630 rims, so tight I need a tire lever to unseat the bead.
Downsides: They are heavy... The casing is also has very little stretch in it. When adjusting pressures you need a gauge because they are so senstive, one short sssst takes you from 35PSI to 16 really quickly,which is surprising given their huge volume. Isuspect this comes from the very strong casing having no stretch.

Konatourer

Re: Review: Surly Extraterrestrial 26x2.5

Postby Konatourer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:06 pm

Thanks for the review. I have just fitted a set of 29 x 2.5's. I am using a Schwalbe electronic tyre gauge to check pressures.