Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Scintilla
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby Scintilla » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:00 pm

*
Last edited by Scintilla on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 6346
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Scintilla wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:I've ridden Brassall to Lowood and nothing wrong with the surface. There's no keeping some people happy sometimes. Nothing wrong with some challenges

So you to ‘think it’s just fine and nothing should be done to change it’??

foo on patrol wrote: as far as Law Suits go, give me a bloody break, the roads are more dangerous than these trails.

If you think that you will win a law suit with the roads authority over the traffic risks on the road, good luck to you.

foo on patrol wrote:You can't expect all of the bridges to be replaced with new ones, there's not a bottomless pit of money!

Yes, I do expect the bridges to be reinstated, rebuilt or replaced. This is exactly what has happened to rail trails in Victoria...... over the past 20 years of course. My issue is not about the lack at present but rather the attitude (which you appear to express) that no improvements are needed, nor are even desirable :roll:

I will leave it up to you Qlders but if you think this trail standard is all that you want and should not try to improve on it, then your rail trail will not get the bicycle use that it is capable of, and the local towns will miss out on the potential economic benefits. The landscapes that this trail passes through are really very good, with variety and historic interest, but right now it is a needless chore for bicycle tourists desirous of traveling the full length of the trail. Accepting this as something to work on in future is sensible; dismissing those who don’t like the current trail & bridge situation with “no keeping some people happy” is an insult!


Like I said, there's stopping some people from whinging! :roll:

My attitude? :lol: If people can't ride on these trails at suitable speeds for "their" ability, there is something wrong and whilst I'm at it, they are upgrading the section from Brassal towards Wanora at the moment, so maybe you should do your "research" properly! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 6346
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:56 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Scintilla wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:I've ridden Brassall to Lowood and nothing wrong with the surface. There's no keeping some people happy sometimes. Nothing wrong with some challenges

So you to ‘think it’s just fine and nothing should be done to change it’??

foo on patrol wrote: as far as Law Suits go, give me a bloody break, the roads are more dangerous than these trails.

If you think that you will win a law suit with the roads authority over the traffic risks on the road, good luck to you.

foo on patrol wrote:You can't expect all of the bridges to be replaced with new ones, there's not a bottomless pit of money!

Yes, I do expect the bridges to be reinstated, rebuilt or replaced. This is exactly what has happened to rail trails in Victoria...... over the past 20 years of course. My issue is not about the lack at present but rather the attitude (which you appear to express) that no improvements are needed, nor are even desirable :roll:

I will leave it up to you Qlders but if you think this trail standard is all that you want and should not try to improve on it, then your rail trail will not get the bicycle use that it is capable of, and the local towns will miss out on the potential economic benefits. The landscapes that this trail passes through are really very good, with variety and historic interest, but right now it is a needless chore for bicycle tourists desirous of traveling the full length of the trail. Accepting this as something to work on in future is sensible; dismissing those who don’t like the current trail & bridge situation with “no keeping some people happy” is an insult!


So in your opinion what standard is acceptable for a rail trail. Perfectly smooth hot mix with concrete bridges?

At what point does it no longer become a rail trail but instead a sealed road for non motorised traffic?

What about other user groups? What standard is their expectation?


Exactly! :wink:

And just for laughs, I'm a 61yr old bloke and see no problems with riding on uneven surfaces, it would be a shame if there was a little challenge in peoples lives, hey SSS? :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image

Scintilla
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby Scintilla » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:24 pm

*
Last edited by Scintilla on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

Scintilla
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby Scintilla » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:35 pm

*
Last edited by Scintilla on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 6346
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Scintilla wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:they are upgrading the section from Brassal towards Wanora at the moment, so maybe you should do your "research" properly! :idea:

I did in fact ride through that section, just four weeks ago, so 'research' was what I have been doing. We actually were forced to ride through the underpass on barely ridable sponge-surface, past the fences. Again, substandard from whoever was in charge of the works. The detour was diverting us up to the Daguilar Hwy (motorway) bridge, and I was damned if I was going to go jousting it with those B-doubles there.

Yes, it will be great if this results in a much improved surface; exactly what I am talking about, and was trying to suggest to the BVRT users-group that they still need to keep working on.

As I have said before several times - the person's attitude that it was "just the way we like it, and we are not going to change it" is indicative of a failing user-group. I will not be encouraging anyone to go up to Qld for the 'greatest longest rail-trail' experience anytime soon.

YMMV.


That, is nowhere near the Brassall to Wanora section! :?

So the hundreds of riders that use it are wrong? I have women from my area that have ridden it and have now problems and they are mid 50s to mid 60s!

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image

Scintilla
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby Scintilla » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:03 pm

*
Last edited by Scintilla on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 6346
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Scintilla wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:My attitude? :lol: If people can't ride on these trails at suitable speeds for "their" ability, there is something wrong

BTW, loving the implied insults :evil:

YOU do not know ME!! For the record I am only a year younger than you. I have been touring, doing Audax, MTB and more for over 40 years now. Riding steep climbs and hauling a load of gear for 80-120 kms is nothing that has ever caused me any great worries. I have ridden all the rail trails in Victoria, and have toured on roads through our mountains in some of the more extreme remote areas. A few steep descents and climbs, or rough track is no great grief. But you seem to completely miss my point, which is all about encouraging and enabling more people, new people, to use such rail trails to discover and experience the joys and love of riding bikes

You are now pissing me off. I really think that you just want to do that. Over and out to this thread now from me


:lol: :lol:

I must remember to remind the families that I have seen on there with kids of 6yrs old and upwards, that it's not suitable for them to ride on. :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 10244
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:44 pm

The BVRT as it stands today is a great resource. After exploring it last month I have organised and will lead a group of 15 riders over it next month. I'll be riding an e-mtb instead of my Salsa Fargo, because pushing my bike out of the steep ravines caused severe discomfort to my 65 year old arthritic knees, and the bumpy surface south of Toogoolawah caused similar discomfort to my hands and wrists.

It's far from perfect, and it's far from world class. Anybody who thinks it is needs to get their head out of the sand.

The efforts and improvements to date notwithstanding, valid criticisms can still be made.

As has been clearly demonstrated, visitors have certain perceptions and expectations about rail trails, and some who have travelled a long way to ride the BVRT will not have the experience they had anticipated. This is not the recipe for a successful tourism venture which has cost $millions to develop.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 6346
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Considering that this project is only very young, I think they have done a good job. :wink: Of course there could be better/improvement but what is in place at this point in time, is far better than not having anything like it. :idea:

Like I said, it's not a bottomless pit of money that can be drawn on. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 10244
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:40 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Like I said, it's not a bottomless pit of money that can be drawn on. :wink:

And for that reason, the available funds should be spend wisely and to the best effect.

I met Peter Kleis, the TMR ranger who is responsible for the BVRT, at the Locker Creek Bridge. I was astonished by the huge stockpile of new bridge timbers and piles on site, and at the tonnes of rock being delivered. Peter explained that the rock was being used to create a road and platform for a 100 tonne crane to be placed in the creek bed to remove the girders, so that every rivet could be removed and replaced. The estimate for the bridgework is $4.5m, but inevitably there will be cost overruns. The concrete crossings on the new section cost $1.5m. This is money wasted in my view. Most of the crossings could have been bridged by swing bridges for that amount of money.

I have ridden my bike across this one in the Gibbston Valley near Queenstown, and others like it. The gorge here far deeper and wider than Lockyer Creek. Bridges like this could be built at a fraction of the cost of the refurbishment of the Lockyer Creek Rail Bridge.

Image
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users