Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Paddles

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby Paddles » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Hey Foo, are you still riding around Sandstone? I haven't seen you on the road in a while but I have been riding gentleman's hours too, none of this dawn patrol rubbish :mrgreen: A few of us have set up "allrounder" style bikes and have been stretching our road loops into the local forests this year which is good fun. Anyway, the wife and I are going to do the return trip from Toogoolawah to Moore on the 22nd so I want to pick your brain to make sure it's a nice easy ride for her and there's no hazards along the way. How many maggies buzzed you?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Mate, I can assure you, that it is not an easy ride, if you are reasonably unfit, like me. :wink: Have a look at my ride from last weekend. If you just take your time, it will be still enjoyable. The Harlin servo has good food :wink: and then I've been told that they do great coffee at the last shop in Moore. Kai something or other the name is. Be careful of the descents into the creeks after the tunnel as you can crack some real speed and there is a turn at the bottom of them.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1826353226

I still ride of a weekend but fatigue levels from work have been very high this year, so I have had to manage those, which means less riding on to many occasions.

No maggies. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll hopefully be ok but it'll test wifey out by the sounds of it. At least a half time break for lunch will rest us back up for the return and if worst comes to worst I can drop her somewhere and ride back for the car. I got her to do 54km of the Kingaroy trail the other weekend in one hit with the lure of beer and a steak sanga at the Wondai pub at the end.

If you ever get keen to race the tide give this one a go. Nicko talked me into it and my legs were jelly at the end, it hurt me :mrgreen:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1777393461

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Done a few beach rides but always stopped before the 4by entry points. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:26 am

Gympie Council are doing a survey on possible improvements to their section of the SBRT- https://www.gympie.qld.gov.au//haveyoursay
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:15 am

You better tell us the sections that are crap, so that the survey paper can be filled out. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Took a group of 10 on the lower BVRT this morning - 45 km Wulkuraka to Fernvale and return. The trail is in good condition with a couple of rough sections resurfaced since my last visit in early July.

We had friendly country style service and a great breakfast at the Old Fernvale Bakery, definitely recommended.

All in all a pleasant easy ride on a nice day.

In a couple of weeks I'm taking another group on a two-day ride from Yarraman to Esk.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:18 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You better tell us the sections that are crap, so that the survey paper can be filled out. :idea:

Foo

My main priority is just getting any reasonable sort of crossing on Wide Bay Creek, decking the bridge over Kinbombi Creek would be great, and then tidying up the bad (rocky/sandy) sections.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.