Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Is it worth the price ($590)?

Yes
1
20%
No
3
60%
Depends (please elaborate in comments)
1
20%
 
Total votes: 5
SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 am

Hi all,
Only recently got onto this community and I'm seeking some tips on getting my first road bike.

I've spotted a apollo giro disk (year unspecified) for under $600 and thought it's a bargain. The gravel tyres are not perfect for city commuting but I guess I can also take it off track for trips.

One concern I have is that the curved frame looks more like 2017 ultras than 2017 giros which has straight bars.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/doncast ... 1183852358

Edit 3: Found out this is actually a 2014 Giro Disc HI-VIZ painted black. With other downgrades/replacements?
- Alloy handlebar replaced with Bontrager
- Carbon fork replaced with unknown alloy fork
- 105 shifter replaced with Sora
- Seat, seat posts and tyres have also changed.
https://imgur.com/a/4e21Tl9

How much would you price this bike to be?

Opinion on this deal is welcome. Also, any advice on things to look out for during inspection and test ride is welcome.

Edit: seeing that this bike is potentially not a great deal, would this Giant OCR be a better deal? Does seem to have only 9 speed 5500 derailleur so possibly 15+ years old too? Would it be worth it if it's 400?
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbour ... 1184088292

Edit 2: Found this in Apollo's 2017 catalog. 11 speed group set suggests 5800?
https://imgur.com/a/uzVXAKv

Thanks in advance,

SMA
Last edited by SMA on Wed May 16, 2018 11:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
MattyK
Posts: 2311
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby MattyK » Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 am

The shifters are an older style (external cable; 105 hasn't been this way for about 8+ years), but I'm not enough of a trainspotter to tell exactly which generation. So that seems a bit odd. derailleurs are 5700 model, which used internal (under bar tape) shifter cables.

Honestly, I don't think it's much of a deal, especially if you'll want to go change the tyres immediately.

What purpose are you looking at a bike for?

SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 am

MattyK wrote:The shifters are an older style (external cable; 105 hasn't been this way for about 8+ years), but I'm not enough of a trainspotter to tell exactly which generation. So that seems a bit odd. derailleurs are 5700 model, which used internal (under bar tape) shifter cables.

Honestly, I don't think it's much of a deal, especially if you'll want to go change the tyres immediately.

What purpose are you looking at a bike for?


Hi Matt,

The bike will be for urban commuting (95%, 10-15km) and occasional weekend bike track (5%). Won't be going though MTB terrain.

Do you have any recommendations? Or how much would you value this approximately? Thanks!

User avatar
MattyK
Posts: 2311
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby MattyK » Tue May 15, 2018 11:21 am

OK; as commuters go I'd say it's a perfect style of bike. If you're on smooth pavement then fat slicks would be the nicest, but commuting isn't all about speed*
(*yes it is :D)

the Apollo is an acknowledged winter bike so it's probably seen some wet weather, moisture in the bearings, etc. Hard to assess without tearing it apart. No sign of mudguards which would help protect it, but they probably fit.

I guess it's not an awful price, it just seems a bit rich when you can get say a Reid CX for under 700 new. (lower spec I know, but at least you know its history)

User avatar
rodneycc
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs, Victoria

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby rodneycc » Tue May 15, 2018 11:53 am

I don't mind it. You'd have to factor in a $100 service at your local LBS into the price but I reckon you can't go too far wrong. Nice looking frame. As long as it test rides ok and it fits you ok.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Tue May 15, 2018 12:02 pm

MattyK wrote:OK; as commuters go I'd say it's a perfect style of bike. If you're on smooth pavement then fat slicks would be the nicest, but commuting isn't all about speed*
(*yes it is :D)

the Apollo is an acknowledged winter bike so it's probably seen some wet weather, moisture in the bearings, etc. Hard to assess without tearing it apart. No sign of mudguards which would help protect it, but they probably fit.

I guess it's not an awful price, it just seems a bit rich when you can get say a Reid CX for under 700 new. (lower spec I know, but at least you know its history)


Thanks Matt,

Of course commutes are not about speed*. (All about speed for 5 mins extra sleep.) I'll try my best to assess for any damages and bargain a bit.
I also saw this Giant OCR C1 for $480. It looked like a 9 speed rear cassette from photos, which maybe corresponds to a ~15 year old bike? Which one would you pick out of the two?
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbour ... 1184088292

SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 pm

rodneycc wrote:I don't mind it. You'd have to factor in a $100 service at your local LBS into the price but I reckon you can't go too far wrong. Nice looking frame. As long as it test rides ok and it fits you ok.

Thanks Rodney, great advice noted.

For the servicing at LBS, does it just constitute derailleurs and cable adjustments? Anything else I should do during the service?

User avatar
rodneycc
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs, Victoria

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby rodneycc » Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm

SMA wrote:
rodneycc wrote:I don't mind it. You'd have to factor in a $100 service at your local LBS into the price but I reckon you can't go too far wrong. Nice looking frame. As long as it test rides ok and it fits you ok.

Thanks Rodney, great advice noted.

For the servicing at LBS, does it just constitute derailleurs and cable adjustments? Anything else I should do during the service?


Yeah they'll check over the whole bike. They might replace the cables if they are worn which can make a big difference in the shifting and give you some general advice on what is likely needed in future e.g chain wear.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, Eastern Suburbs, near the hills,

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Not a bargain, as such, but may be a nice bike. As RodneyCC has said, it depends on the condition of the drive-train. If it needs a bunch of stuff (cables/chain/cassette/chainrings etc) then it can quickly become an expensive purchase.
Also need to factor in that it appears to be a few years old and is an alloy frame, but not overly light.
Mmm, SunTour

SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Tue May 15, 2018 5:09 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Not a bargain, as such, but may be a nice bike. As RodneyCC has said, it depends on the condition of the drive-train. If it needs a bunch of stuff (cables/chain/cassette/chainrings etc) then it can quickly become an expensive purchase.
Also need to factor in that it appears to be a few years old and is an alloy frame, but not overly light.


Thank you for your opinion. Is there a way of checking if the fork is carbon or alloy? I plan on following this YouTube guide by GCN for a check over. Is there anything else I should check specifically for this bike from what you can see? Thanks again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boslRs4BfwY

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 5217
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby Ross » Tue May 15, 2018 8:03 pm

I have an Avanti Giro (2016) which is very similiar looking and specced to the Apollo Giro that you linked too. Mine is 11 speed 5800 105 mechanical with Shimano RS785 hydraulic 160mm discs and full carbon frame and forks (not sure of the weight). 105 gears are surprisingly good. I was secretly hoping they would be crap so I would have an excuse to upgrade to Ultegra but not worth it just to save a few grams.

Cost me ~$1800 on runout special, full RRP was $3,699.95 apparently.

If you look around on Bike Exchange/Gumtree/eBay you may find one of these or a similiar bike.

I commute to work on it most days, love the disc brakes, probably not going to win the Commuter Cup Challenge on it though

https://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/ ... giro-ar-c1

Image

User avatar
ldrcycles
Posts: 8469
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 15, 2018 8:22 pm

The forks are alloy, you can see the welds either side of the steerer. That's a big minus for me, carbon forks make a big difference to comfort. $590 is an ok price, I personally wouldn't pay more than $500.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Ross wrote:I have an Avanti Giro (2016) which is very similiar looking and specced to the Apollo Giro that you linked too. Mine is 11 speed 5800 105 mechanical with Shimano RS785 hydraulic 160mm discs and full carbon frame and forks (not sure of the weight). 105 gears are surprisingly good. I was secretly hoping they would be crap so I would have an excuse to upgrade to Ultegra but not worth it just to save a few grams.

Cost me ~$1800 on runout special, full RRP was $3,699.95 apparently.

If you look around on Bike Exchange/Gumtree/eBay you may find one of these or a similiar bike.

I commute to work on it most days, love the disc brakes, probably not going to win the Commuter Cup Challenge on it though

https://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/ ... giro-ar-c1

Image


That actually looks really awesome, although $1800 is slightly more expensive than my budget. But is definitely a great choice when I want to upgrade. I actually managed to find the bike in Apollo's archive catalog and can confirm it is a 2017 bike. However the specs don't seem to tell which generation of Shimano 105s it has. I guess I will find out tomorrow. How much would you pay for it if you were to buy this?

SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Tue May 15, 2018 9:46 pm

ldrcycles wrote:The forks are alloy, you can see the welds either side of the steerer. That's a big minus for me, carbon forks make a big difference to comfort. $590 is an ok price, I personally wouldn't pay more than $500.

I thought I finally found the bike specs, and then your comment made me realize this bike may not even be a Apollo Giro... The Apollo Giro is suppose to have carbon forks and bars... Which this one clearly isn't?

User avatar
rodneycc
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs, Victoria

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby rodneycc » Tue May 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Yeah thats weird. The key features are different to the actual specs. Its the older model specs by the looks. They prob upgraded it mid cycle.
So diff lower quality crank, mech discs and fork by the looks... Thats why its $590 and not $1000.
So yeah point that out and offer $500 if it test rides ok.

Edit: Or tell him he's dreamin.... sorry had to do it... ☺
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Tue May 15, 2018 10:30 pm

rodneycc wrote:Yeah thats weird. The key features are different to the actual specs. Its the older model specs by the looks. They prob upgraded it mid cycle.
So diff lower quality crank, mech discs and fork by the looks... Thats why its $590 and not $1000.
So yeah point that out and offer $500 if it test rides ok.

Edit: Or tell him he's dreamin.... sorry had to do it... ☺


Yeah I did point that out and he said it's sold to him and he's doesnt really know either. I guess if it's in perfect condition $500 would be my max. Is $90 difference for the alloy instead of carbon parts? Apparently no scratches so hope no cracks and bends either. Thanks Rodney!

User avatar
rodneycc
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm
Location: Melbourne Eastern Suburbs, Victoria

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby rodneycc » Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 pm

You got to remember its a pretty low price point $500. Luck plays a part to a certain degree whether you get a lemon or a bargain imo at this price.

All that is forgotten of couse in 6-12months time when you look at n+1 upgrading to a $1000 bike...
Dont worry its a process most people go through (even when they swear they wont).

Btw if it rides well and your heart is set on it and he won't come down in price maybe ask them to meet you half way at $545? At such a low base its hard to see anything else being that much better within $100 each way???

The other option is look for something around $700-800 such as below. A lot lower risk at this price point.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hallam/ ... 1182386276
Last edited by rodneycc on Tue May 15, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, Eastern Suburbs, near the hills,

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 15, 2018 11:06 pm

SMA wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Yeah thats weird. The key features are different to the actual specs. Its the older model specs by the looks. They prob upgraded it mid cycle.
So diff lower quality crank, mech discs and fork by the looks... Thats why its $590 and not $1000.
So yeah point that out and offer $500 if it test rides ok.

Edit: Or tell him he's dreamin.... sorry had to do it... ☺


Yeah I did point that out and he said it's sold to him and he's doesnt really know either. I guess if it's in perfect condition $500 would be my max. Is $90 difference for the alloy instead of carbon parts? Apparently no scratches so hope no cracks and bends either. Thanks Rodney!


The more I look at it, and at the other bike this guys is selling, the more I think that this has been "put together" either because he inherited an incomplete bike, or due to damage/wear etc. I think this may be a 2013/2014 model, but it's hard to be certain. To be safe, I'd suggest walking away and finding another option. Do you specifically want discs ?
Mmm, SunTour

SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Wed May 16, 2018 6:54 am

[quote="10speedsemiracer"][quote="SMA"][quote="rodneycc"]Yeah thats weird. The key features are different to the actual specs. Its the older model specs by the looks. They prob upgraded it mid cycle.
So diff lower quality crank, mech discs and fork by the looks... Thats why its $590 and not $1000.
So yeah point that out and offer $500 if it test rides ok.

Edit: Or tell him he's dreamin.... sorry had to do it... ☺[/quote]

Yeah I did point that out and he said it's sold to him and he's doesnt really know either. I guess if it's in perfect condition $500 would be my max. Is $90 difference for the alloy instead of carbon parts? Apparently no scratches so hope no cracks and bends either. Thanks Rodney![/quote]

The more I look at it, and at the other bike this guys is selling, the more I think that this has been "put together" either because he inherited an incomplete bike, or due to damage/wear etc. I think this may be a 2013/2014 model, but it's hard to be certain. To be safe, I'd suggest walking away and finding another option. Do you specifically want discs ?[/quote]

So I guess my main goal is to find a 95% urban commute bike which I can take to sand/dirt bike paths as well for occasional weekends. Nothing too rough. And road/cyclo are so much cooler than a commuter right?
I was looking at around $400-600. And discs generally are reviewed quite well compared to rim breaks. Also not looking for any brand in particular. However if it's not a must. Do you have any suggestions or links? Thanks 10speed :)

SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Wed May 16, 2018 9:06 am

SMA wrote:Hi all,
Only recently got onto this community and I'm seeking some tips on getting my first road bike.

I've spotted a apollo giro disk (year unspecified) for under $600 and thought it's a bargain. The gravel tyres are not perfect for city commuting but I guess I can also take it off track for trips.

Edit 3: so it ended up being a throw together bike... Apollo alloy frame bike (possibly ultra), 105 50F chainring 105 rear RD-5701, Tiagra front FD-4600, Sora shifters. Not sure about cassette, bontrage handle bars. Bit of a Frankenstein.

One concern I have is that the curved frame looks more like 2017 ultras than 2017 giros which has straight bars.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/doncast ... 1183852358

Opinion on this deal is welcome. Also, any advice on things to look out for during inspection and test ride is welcome.

Edit: seeing that this bike is potentially not a great deal, would this Giant OCR be a better deal? Does seem to have only 9 speed 5500 derailleur so possibly 15+ years old too? Would it be worth it if it's 400?
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbour ... 1184088292

Edit 2: Found this in Apollo's 2017 catalog. 11 speed group set suggests 5800?
https://imgur.com/a/uzVXAKv

Thanks in advance,

SMA

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, Eastern Suburbs, near the hills,

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 am

Back to the alleged Apollo, the ad says selling for a friend but his indication to you was that it was sold to him like that and he didn't know about the spec. This and the mismatch in spec is enough to rule the bike out....well from my perspective anyway. For $600 you should be able to find a decent 105 Defy or something similar. The OCRs you've linked are good bikes but overpriced for their age. Should be able to pick up an OCR for $300 or less. Disc brakes are nice but nothing decent (hydraulic) will fit in your budget. Good rim brakes will be fine.
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Thu May 17, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mmm, SunTour

SMA
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby SMA » Wed May 16, 2018 11:54 am

So, I (think) I finally figured out what this is.
It's originally a green 2014 Apollo Giro HI-VIZ. This explains the FD, RD and disc break specifications.
https://imgur.com/a/4e21Tl9
Although there are many modifications to it:
- Frame painted black
- Alloy handlebar replaced with Bontrager
- Carbon fork replaced with unknown alloy fork
- 105 shifter replaced Sora
- Seat, seat posts and tyres have also changed.

What would a more reasonable price for this? $300? More? Less?

User avatar
MattyK
Posts: 2311
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby MattyK » Wed May 16, 2018 1:39 pm

More reasonable to walk away. Wheels don't look original either. Probably had a front end crash.

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, Eastern Suburbs, near the hills,

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed May 16, 2018 6:07 pm

MattyK wrote:More reasonable to walk away. Wheels don't look original either. Probably had a front end crash.


Exactly what he said, I think this 'bitsa' bike has unknown issues and a less than transparent seller (selling for friend vs it was sold to him like this, even went so far as to make the Apollo Creed comment on the Gumtree ad but when you quizzed him he said it was sold to him in this spec).

So it's a 4yo Apollo alloy bike with a non-oem fork of unknown quality, mismatched groupset, non-oem wheels etc etc. As MattyK has said, is safer to walk away. Has either been built back up again after frontal impact, or a fork failure, or something similar. Seriously, I think just walk away, there are so many other, better bikes out there for the $s he's asking (far from a bargain).
Mmm, SunTour

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, Eastern Suburbs, near the hills,

Re: Apollo bargain? (First road bike)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 am

Someone linked to a Giant Defy w disc (2016) further up the thread. That would be a much better option, but am slightly concerned about the mixed surfaces you may be riding on, and wonder if a CX bike may be a better option.

The Giant :

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hallam/ ... 1182386276

Image

Should be able to get him down a bit on $s, but maybe not $600, although worth a try.
Mmm, SunTour

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fat and old