My first impression of Melbourne

brumby33

My first impression of Melbourne

Postby brumby33 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:16 am

I'm presently visiting Melbourne as the typical Tourist (from Sydney) as I've never had an opportunity in the past to have a good look around the CBD before and noticed immediately how easy cyclists around the city seem to get around in comparison to Sydney.
Whilst you've got lots of trams criss crossing manor streets in the CBD bike riders here seem to be pretty happy with their commutes down here and don't seem to be as stressed out as Sydney cycle commuters.
I also like what i see with bicycle parking on the very wide footpath areas as well as motorcles able to park away from the actual road onto the paths...good idea.
I haven't ventured away from the CBD area as i only have 4 days and theres just so much to see but Melbournians or those who reside here seem to be a fairly happy lot...haven't witnessed any hint of aggression at this stage.
But i like what i've seen so far.
Won't have time to jump on a bike this time round but i think it might be on the cards next visit.
I spoke with a couple of bicycle cops today and one told me he tried cycling round Sydney on a visit there...he reckons never again lol...that kinda told me something.
Its good to see a city really trying to encourage people to ride more.

Anyway as I said...my first impressions and i like what i see...just wish i was a couple degrees warmer lol

Cheers

brumby 33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

10speedsemiracer

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri May 25, 2018 12:23 am

Before you leave, go have a coffee at Pellegrini's at the top of Bourke st. Hope you enjoyed your stay. ..
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri May 25, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mmm, SunTour

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri May 25, 2018 1:07 am

I don't think it's so much as our Authorities are doing anything to encourage cycling, moreso they're just not actively discouraging it like those in Sydney/NSW are.....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri May 25, 2018 10:17 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:Before you leave, go have a coffee at Pellegrini's at the top of Bourke st. Hope you enjoyed your stay. ..

Unless it's for the nostalgia, why? There are a million better coffee places in Melbourne.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:22 am

brumby33 wrote:Anyway as I said...my first impressions and i like what i see...just wish i was a couple degrees warmer

Yep. Melbourne's inner and northern inner is leading Australia in terms of cycling infrastructure and cycling participation. Many of our councils have been doing a fantastic job including a decent amount of regional councils too.

brumby33 wrote:I haven't ventured away from the CBD area

Outer Melbourne however is pretty poor and not particularly different from other poor examples in other states. Big fast roads, poor infrastructure, poor urban layout and angry aggressive drivers.

The success of inner Melbourne cycling is a pretty open secret which seems to have recently been lost of some cycling groups (SCA) who recently declared Victoria to be the worst state for cyclist. :roll: :lol:

Duck! wrote:I don't think it's so much as our Authorities are doing anything to encourage cycling, moreso they're just not actively discouraging it like those in Sydney/NSW are.....

Yep, our successive state governments have been completely inactive on cycling issues. But we can thank our local government authorities for infrastructure, parking and even bonuses such as bicycle repair stations. :mrgreen:

It helps to have Councillors and Mayors who cycle:

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 am

Hot tip is to bring up google maps and chuck te bicyclepaths map up. Lots of completely off road bike trails that would make for a nice day ride. I'd recommend the collingwood childrens farm for coffee along the yarra trail.
Fast light bike
Cushy dirt bike
Workhorse bike
No brakes bike
Ebike :)

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm

human909 wrote:
brumby33 wrote:Anyway as I said...my first impressions and i like what i see...just wish i was a couple degrees warmer

Yep. Melbourne's inner and northern inner is leading Australia in terms of cycling infrastructure and cycling participation. Many of our councils have been doing a fantastic job including a decent amount of regional councils too.

brumby33 wrote:I haven't ventured away from the CBD area

Outer Melbourne however is pretty poor and not particularly different from other poor examples in other states. Big fast roads, poor infrastructure, poor urban layout and angry aggressive drivers.

The success of inner Melbourne cycling is a pretty open secret which seems to have recently been lost of some cycling groups (SCA) who recently declared Victoria to be the worst state for cyclist. :roll: :lol:

Duck! wrote:I don't think it's so much as our Authorities are doing anything to encourage cycling, moreso they're just not actively discouraging it like those in Sydney/NSW are.....

Yep, our successive state governments have been completely inactive on cycling issues. But we can thank our local government authorities for infrastructure, parking and even bonuses such as bicycle repair stations. :mrgreen:

It helps to have Councillors and Mayors who cycle:

Here's hoping that the new Mayor of Melbourne will keep up the momentum for cycling around tbe CBD at least.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:46 pm

I was down in Melbourne for a few weeks over the new year period and was based out in the outer eastern suburbs. It was my first time riding out of the CBD there and it was fantastic. I was able to get from out east to the city with easy, and further out to Williamstown etc.

Ventured down south to Carrum, up the ring road path and out to the Basin, Lilydale etc. Was really pleasant riding. However it was probably made better due to the school holidays as well.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon May 28, 2018 6:51 pm

tez001 wrote:I was down in Melbourne for a few weeks over the new year period and was based out in the outer eastern suburbs. It was my first time riding out of the CBD there and it was fantastic. I was able to get from out east to the city with easy, and further out to Williamstown etc.

Ventured down south to Carrum, up the ring road path and out to the Basin, Lilydale etc. Was really pleasant riding. However it was probably made better due to the school holidays as well.

Glad you had fun down here. That region around the Dandenongs sees a lot of cycling activity. I'm lucky enough to live out there (here) and see some interesting bikes around the area, especially on the weekends.
Mmm, SunTour