My first impression of Melbourne

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:47 pm

Sssshhh
Mmm, SunTour

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6237
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby biker jk » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:42 pm

human909 wrote:
fat and old wrote:And half the temperature. We’re colder here. Colder.

Melbourne average annual daily max: 20.4
Sydney average annual daily max: 22.5

Melbourne average annual daily min: 14.5
Sydney average annual daily min: 11.4

But maybe I shouldn't let out the secret. :wink:


It appears you have added a global warming adjustment to the long term average minimum temperature in Melbourne.

Using 158 years of data, the average for Melbourne is 10.2 and 13.8 for Sydney (minimum temperatures).

brumby33
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: Beverly Hills NSW...Yeehaaaaa!!

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby brumby33 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:59 pm

biker jk wrote:
human909 wrote:
fat and old wrote:And half the temperature. We’re colder here. Colder.

Melbourne average annual daily max: 20.4
Sydney average annual daily max: 22.5

Melbourne average annual daily min: 14.5
Sydney average annual daily min: 11.4

But maybe I shouldn't let out the secret. :wink:


It appears you have added a global warming adjustment to the long term average minimum temperature in Melbourne.

Using 158 years of data, the average for Melbourne is 10.2 and 13.8 for Sydney (minimum temperatures).


Yes Biker JK ....overall 3C isn't a big difference but what about wind chill factors? So most of the wind would come off the Southern Ocean during the winter, you'd be getting artic temps? like around the 0C on Winter Mornings? Just talking about Melbourne at this stage though, not the rural areas as I know it'd get much frostier as you get away from the coastal fringes. Does it or has it actually snowed in Melbourne or how far away would you experience it?


Cheers
Brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

human909
Posts: 9123
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby human909 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:19 pm

biker jk wrote:It appears you have added a global warming adjustment to the long term average minimum temperature in Melbourne.

Using 158 years of data, the average for Melbourne is 10.2 and 13.8 for Sydney (minimum temperatures).

I figured using the more recent 30 years was more relevant to more recent conditions. It isn't the 1850s. :wink:

brumby33 wrote:Yes Biker JK ....overall 3C isn't a big difference but what about wind chill factors?

Sydney is more windy too.

brumby33 wrote: So most of the wind would come off the Southern Ocean during the winter, you'd be getting artic temps?

No which Melbourne have you been to?


Odd that I type this both Sydney and Brisbane are colder and wetter. :-)

brumby33
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: Beverly Hills NSW...Yeehaaaaa!!

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby brumby33 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Yeah it's bloody miserable in Sydney atm....has been for the past 2 weeks....yeah yeah I know we need the rain, I know the farmers need it too but Sydney has had too much now...I'm over it!!
I've been told that Melbourne doesn't really have wet spells like 2 weeks at a time like it does in Sydney and especially SE QLD.....they even had a tornado warning 2 days ago.....crikey!!

Anyway, back to bicycling & living in Melbourne and Victoria, As I'm only vaguely familiar of the layout of Melbourne, kinda looks like a big horseshoe on the map, is Melbourne easy to learn, navigate your way around? I want to live within 10kms of the CBD. Would Glen Huntley and Malvern suburbs fit within this radius?

Sorry if i'm asking too many questions.....got some big decisions to make in the next 6 Months.


Cheers

brumby33

(Dave)
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Glenhuntly and Malvern fit in your band (sort of) and are both nice, if somewhat different suburbs. I would also throw Glen Iris in there (good access). I do however prefer the belt from about Blackburn to Donvale. Partly as I grew up in Blackburn but also because the area hasn't really had it's complexion changed too heavily by apartments/developments etc
Mmm, SunTour

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 2500
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby DavidS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Melbourne is easy to navigate, do Around the Bay once a year and you'll get a very good idea.

Glenhuntly or Malvern are both fine. Melbourne is flatter and has wider roads so is a good place to ride. If you're buying a house you will need a lot of money, unless you're selling in Sydney I suppose. I live in Elsternwick which is close to Glenhuntly, nice part of the world. You could do a lot worse, lovely place to live.

Oh, and, yes, you do have to follow AFL. Australian Rules football is the oldest code in the world, it is Australian and, let's face it, it is the best footy in the world. Just choose the most recent Victorian team to win a flag (see avatar).

DS
Image

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6237
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby biker jk » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:19 pm

human909 wrote:
biker jk wrote:It appears you have added a global warming adjustment to the long term average minimum temperature in Melbourne.

Using 158 years of data, the average for Melbourne is 10.2 and 13.8 for Sydney (minimum temperatures).

I figured using the more recent 30 years was more relevant to more recent conditions. It isn't the 1850s. :wink:



Using the past 30 years data still shows Sydney's average minimum temperature to be 3 degrees above Melbourne.

I really do hope people believe that Melbourne's climate is better than Sydney's which will help maintain your more rapid growth in population, resulting in a lower quality of life.

brumby33
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: Beverly Hills NSW...Yeehaaaaa!!

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby brumby33 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:22 pm

DavidS wrote:Oh, and, yes, you do have to follow AFL. Australian Rules football is the oldest code in the world, it is Australian and, let's face it, it is the best footy in the world. Just choose the most recent Victorian team to win a flag (see avatar).

DS

:lol: :lol: You realise we used to call it aerial ping pong up here...hehehe....as long as I don't lock it in Eddie :lol:
Whilst I don't follow the code....I really would love to go check out a game .....lots of things I wanna do down there.
Have some friends who live in Maryborough that belong to the same Motorcycle website group as I do....they often go riding up around the Grampians etc. I enjoy all 2 wheeled touring...motor & pedal so keen to check out the Victorian Countryside.

cheers

Brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

human909
Posts: 9123
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby human909 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:27 pm

biker jk wrote:Using the past 30 years data still shows Sydney's average minimum temperature to be 3 degrees above Melbourne.

Um... Yeah that is exactly what I said straight up. :? :roll:

biker jk wrote:I really do hope people believe that Melbourne's climate is better than Sydney's which will help maintain your more rapid growth in population, resulting in a lower quality of life.

I never said better. It isn't a competition. And 'better' weather is subjective. I was just putting forward the facts.

fat and old
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby fat and old » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:51 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
fat and old wrote:And half the temperature. We’re colder here. Colder. And less humid. It sucks


This is not what I would call a problem. ..sorry F&O


Yeah, I have to admit every time I come back from an extended break north I’m sorta happy with Melbourne weather. :) As is probably obvious, I’m due another “on tour” :lol: Off to the Kimberly for me :D

Tamiya
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby Tamiya » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:59 am

Tbh glenhuntly/Malvern/Carnegie don't have that much "fancy lifestyle" :P unless you're referring to families driving their progeny to private schools & extracurricular activity in their SUVs, empty nester retirees dawdling to/from the Aldi or for some, marching to temple on Sabbath. South East inner suburbs aren't cheap, I doubt I'd choose/pay to live there unless my rellos that I want to be nearby were already there.

If you don't have a family & baggage in tow, zero advantage for a landed house IMHO... gardening can take whole weekends. Townhouse or flat/unit has its benefits if you value your time. (Sure you can pay others to do it, but Jim don't work cheap)

If you're still working, white collar mainly in CBD? Areas like Fitzroy or Brunswick has more attraction depending on whether you prefer hipster or multinational flavour. Both those are also north & slightly *uphill* of CBD... which I might find handy if commuting south on bike every morning in dress shirt & pressed pants - no sweat ;)

Docklands, St Kilda, Port Melb... all also nice places to be centrally located for cafe culture, nice bike paths at your flat's doorstep.

If you have no ties to CBD... going further out is much cheaper. Go Frankston, Eltham, Knox or heck even head towards Geelong and you'd halve your rental. Avoid the crazy city traffic & crazier construction zone disturbances... ain't no fun cycling thru city.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 2500
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby DavidS » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 pm

brumby33 wrote:
DavidS wrote:Oh, and, yes, you do have to follow AFL. Australian Rules football is the oldest code in the world, it is Australian and, let's face it, it is the best footy in the world. Just choose the most recent Victorian team to win a flag (see avatar).

DS

:lol: :lol: You realise we used to call it aerial ping pong up here...hehehe....as long as I don't lock it in Eddie :lol:
Whilst I don't follow the code....I really would love to go check out a game .....lots of things I wanna do down there.
cheers

Brumby33


You should check out a game, make sure you go to the MCG. Maybe start with a game which won't get as big a crowd and then go to a big game, but you will need to book if it is a really big game. There's something about being at the 'G with 90K fans.

Many opinions where to live. Plenty of multinational flavour South of town, less hipsters I suppose but I prefer South of town, then again, I did grow up around here.

DS
Image

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6237
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:36 am


LateStarter
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:10 pm
Location: On the saddle

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby LateStarter » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 am

I spent the best part of 12 years working alternate weeks in Melbourne (Sydney home) and sometimes 3 days every week, so long in fact that I was required to adopt an AFL team and buy a team scarf. A move to another city can be a big life event but I could easily live in Melbourne, the bike paths, rail trails and general higher cycling prevalence would be part of that. Touring looks easier, more towns scattered throughout, twice the Audax population in Victoria and Abbotsford Cycles at Richmond Station great touring shop and a few others around too. Good luck.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 10376
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: If you need to know, ask me
Contact:

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 am

brumby33 wrote:I've been told that Melbourne doesn't really have wet spells like 2 weeks at a time like it does in Sydney and especially SE QLD.....they even had a tornado warning 2 days ago.....crikey!!

If a tornado warning is a reason not to choose a particular location, then you had better think again about choosing Melbourne, which has its share of extreme weather. :wink:

Melbourne weather: Tornado hits Melbourne's north

Looking for a place to retire too? I'd suggest you visit Tasmania.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

brumby33
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: Beverly Hills NSW...Yeehaaaaa!!

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby brumby33 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks everyone for your answers and input, lots of what I've taken on board. The reason I've selected the eastern area I have is because the long term friend of ours lives there and has been selling the Melbourne thing to us for some time, I'm also concerned on how our Governments are allowing our Cities to be over-populated, I think we need a break from Immigration for the time being. I need to target an area so i can find suitable employment.
I'll probably go down for another visit soon when it gets warmer and then make my decision on that.
I'll also need to contact a few prospective employers down that way too....as I'm a bus driver by profession, i'll probably remain in a similar role if i don't get too lost....have no idea of the road system down there....except for the hook turns in the city...something i'll have to get used to. Love to have a go on the trams lol.
It's not just about Melbourne either, for a person seeking a more outdoorsy lifestyle, I'm seeing Victoria being such a diverse state, from the Alpine regions (although i've never really been a snow bunny...my last efforts on learning to ski, I managed to knock down the entire class in one go), to the rural and historic Gold towns of Ballarat and Bendigo...( I've read where both these towns heavily promoting bicycling) to the Grampians where I've been told is great Motorcycling territory, Phillip Island racing....for such a small state, it's got a lot to attract and all not too far away from the Capital City....here it takes 2.5 hours just to get to Newcastle by the time you get out of Sydney.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

brumby33
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: Beverly Hills NSW...Yeehaaaaa!!

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby brumby33 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:42 am

RonK wrote:
brumby33 wrote:I've been told that Melbourne doesn't really have wet spells like 2 weeks at a time like it does in Sydney and especially SE QLD.....they even had a tornado warning 2 days ago.....crikey!!

If a tornado warning is a reason not to choose a particular location, then you had better think again about choosing Melbourne, which has its share of extreme weather. :wink:

Melbourne weather: Tornado hits Melbourne's north

Looking for a place to retire too? I'd suggest you visit Tasmania.


Hehehe Ron, i kind of remember that event from TV news.....yeah when Melbourne has a storm...it doesn't muck around eh....but once over...then it's over....jeez in Sydney, We had a storm late last week and it just won't go away...it's still wet and miserable up here untill end of the week.
I don't think I'd get the Mrs to move to Tassie....not enough City for her apparently :roll:

Cheers

brumby33
(Dave)
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

User avatar
kb
Posts: 2479
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby kb » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:05 pm

If you don’t like cold best to stay out of the hills (foothills) early morning. It was still -2 in warrandyte last Thursday :-)
Image

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Looking at possible employer locations in conjunction with a cyclist-friendly location I'd suggest a spot of research on the suburbs Wheelers Hill-Wantirna South and maybe Vermont South and Glen Waverley .Fairly hefty bus Depot in Knox of which these suburbs are neighbours.
Mmm, SunTour

User avatar
P!N20
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby P!N20 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:39 pm

DavidS wrote:Oh, and, yes, you do have to follow AFL. Australian Rules football is the oldest code in the world, it is Australian and, let's face it, it is the best footy in the world. Just choose the most recent Victorian team to win a flag (see avatar).


Better to pick the team that has won the most premierships...and isn't Carlton.

fat and old
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby fat and old » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Tornado? Melbourne? Bwaaaaaahahahaaaahaha! These days the stupid media wil call tornado just cos old mate let go a strong fart! :lol: We have strong storms sometimes like everyone else. Tornado :roll: Yeah, and “super cell” storms, and “First Nations” people. It’s just the media jumping on every Americanism they can.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 2500
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby DavidS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 pm

P!N20 wrote:
DavidS wrote:Oh, and, yes, you do have to follow AFL. Australian Rules football is the oldest code in the world, it is Australian and, let's face it, it is the best footy in the world. Just choose the most recent Victorian team to win a flag (see avatar).


Better to pick the team that has won the most premierships...and isn't Carlton.


You would suggest Essendon on a cycling forum? We have enough problems with PEDs.

DS
Image

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

brumby33
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: Beverly Hills NSW...Yeehaaaaa!!

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby brumby33 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:45 pm

fat and old wrote:Tornado? Melbourne? Bwaaaaaahahahaaaahaha! These days the stupid media wil call tornado just cos old mate let go a strong fart! :lol: We have strong storms sometimes like everyone else. Tornado :roll: Yeah, and “super cell” storms, and “First Nations” people. It’s just the media jumping on every Americanism they can.


A willy willy is a tornado innit? :lol: :lol:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Jmuzz
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:03 pm

brumby33 wrote:Have some friends who live in Maryborough that belong to the same Motorcycle website group as I do....they often go riding up around the Grampians etc. I enjoy all 2 wheeled touring...motor & pedal so keen to check out the Victorian Countryside.


Victoria is far nicer than NSW for motorcycle touring, you won't be disappointed.
Food is a far better standard too.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users