Evans Cycles

Daus

Evans Cycles

Postby Daus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Received this email today
EVANS CYCLES SERVICE UPDATE ​​​​​​

With the Australian tax law policy changing on July 1st, 2018, we will no longer be able to meet our current pricing and level of service.
It is therefore with regret that we will stop shipping to Australia from June 14th, 2018.

WHAT HAPPENS TO CURRENT ORDERS?
Any orders that were placed before June 14th will be sent if the goods are in stock. The same applies to any outstanding backorders. Should this deadline not be met, we reserve the right to contact you to arrange a refund.

We will cease to send you marketing emails, however, you will receive transactional emails until any outstanding orders are completed.

Thank you for your choosing Evans Cycles in the past, we hope to be able to reverse this position at some point in the future.

A victim of the Gerry Harvey tax- Australians are disadvantaged in that our choices are becoming limited. So much for the level playing field.

g-boaf

Re: Evans Cycles

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Daus wrote:Received this email today
EVANS CYCLES SERVICE UPDATE ​​​​​​

With the Australian tax law policy changing on July 1st, 2018, we will no longer be able to meet our current pricing and level of service.
It is therefore with regret that we will stop shipping to Australia from June 14th, 2018.

WHAT HAPPENS TO CURRENT ORDERS?
Any orders that were placed before June 14th will be sent if the goods are in stock. The same applies to any outstanding backorders. Should this deadline not be met, we reserve the right to contact you to arrange a refund.

We will cease to send you marketing emails, however, you will receive transactional emails until any outstanding orders are completed.

Thank you for your choosing Evans Cycles in the past, we hope to be able to reverse this position at some point in the future.

A victim of the Gerry Harvey tax- Australians are disadvantaged in that our choices are becoming limited. So much for the level playing field.

I've not shopped at any of Gerry Harvey's stores for years and his meddling in the market doesn't make me change my mind.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I am not sad in the least. If a UK company wants to sell here, they shouldn't get a 10% advantage over the local bike shop.

Daus

Postby Daus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:57 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:I am not sad in the least. If a UK company wants to sell here, they shouldn't get a 10% advantage over the local bike shop.

It's not just about the 10% GST on items under $1000 but more importantly to me the restrictions on where we can purchase goods. Australian importers control what is imported and the pricing, look at the recent issues with the purchasing of sram equipment online outside of Australia. Amazon has now blocked our access to o/s pricing pushing Amazon customers to the Australian site with limited traders and increase in pricing certainly not just additional gst. The bottom line is less access to o/s markets with less retailers willing to collect the gst for our small market share. We will have less options when purchasing online and inevitably pay more.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm

It's also about what is available.

This applies to lots of things but for me it is the books and records which are most stark. Many just never appear here, if they do it is months after release, cost twice as much etc.

As for bike parts, I can get everything online within a couple of weeks, and it is cheaper. If I order something in Australia they take months (got to wait for the next container load) and costs twice as much.

The model is broken, we are getting screwed and it is dubious as to whether this will collect or cost money for the government (that was the reasoning behind the $1k threshold in the first place).

Stupid policy by a stupid government in thrall to idiotic businesses. If you espouse neo-liberalism at least practice what you preach.

DS

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1