2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Linjellet
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:15 pm

2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby Linjellet » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:26 pm

I had hoped sbs had learned from the awful commentary last year of Keenan and McEwen... just because this pair have cycling knowledge does not make them commentators... they are soooo painful to listen too...i have to mute... such a poor decision to not have Sherwin and Liggett... they made the sbs coverage with some aussies thrown in to balance...ţo change from a fantastic broad based appeal tour into this current bland, boring, tour from hell commentary...sbs should rethink... from coverage with international appeal to bland local coverage with some international highlights... shame on sbs

And to think this is only the first day...

Arbuckle23
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:13 am

I like the commentary from Matt & Robbie. Phil & Paul have had their day.

march83
Posts: 753
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby march83 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:38 am

Yeah, I think you're in the minority Linjellet. I've been watching the tour since the mid 90s, putting up with Phil and Paul's descent into madness, watching the spring classics via streams and torrents over the past 10 years or so and putting up with Carlton and Kelly (or preferring to listen in Dutch on Sporza as it's a slight improvement at times). Matt and Robbie aren't perfect, but they're pretty good.

The thing that bothers me is the re-used assets, music and graphics, plus I get fed up with trolldj playing tacky, campy tracks...
Last edited by march83 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

macca33
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby macca33 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:01 am

They do a great job, are sometimes very parochial, but so what... They're good for the sport in Australia.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Ridley Noah-R Team

Image

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6136
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby biker jk » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:09 am

Is that you Phil? Joined forum to call for the worst commentators Phil and Paul to be reinstated. I was over their cliches, poor race analysis and Phil regularly calling the wrong stage winner, a decade ago.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 10244
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:21 am

McEwen seems to be growing into his commentary role quite nicely and is becoming more and more natural.

At least he knows what he is talking about and provides some relief from Keenan's dull, droning monologue recitals of the riders palmares.

Don't miss Liggert and Sherwin in the slightest - I'd rather hear the hysterical Carlton Kirby and Sean Kelly than that pair.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

CKinnard
Posts: 2878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby CKinnard » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:45 am

RonK wrote:McEwen seems to be growing into his commentary role quite nicely and is becoming more and more natural.

At least he knows what he is talking about and provides some relief from Keenan's dull, droning monologue recitals of the riders palmares.

Don't miss Liggert and Sherwin in the slightest - I'd rather hear the hysterical Carlton Kirby and Sean Kelly than that pair.


I agree with you.
Phil Liggett has been deteriorating painfully for the last 10 years.
McEwen adds excellent insights engagingly.

User avatar
Derny Driver
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:35 pm

This post must be a gee up. Liggett and Sherwin are beyond awful. Liggett cant tell a lead group from a peleton and cant recognise any of the riders if he cant see a number. Sherwins tired cliches are awful. Playing P and P bingo was the only fun thing about their horrid commentary. Who doesnt miss the heads of state dancing on the pedals in a spot of bother in the front end of the main field in the sport of professional cycling?

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7691
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Who doesnt miss the heads of state dancing on the pedals in a spot of bother in the front end of the main field in the sport of professional cycling?
LOL Can you do the accent as well :D

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9006
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Can honestly say I’m not missing the “suitcase of courage” at all !!

User avatar
CoffsGal
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Mid North Coast NSW

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby CoffsGal » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Linjellet wrote:I had hoped sbs had learned from the awful commentary last year of Keenan and McEwen... just because this pair have cycling knowledge does not make them commentators... they are soooo painful to listen too...i have to mute... such a poor decision to not have Sherwin and Liggett... they made the sbs coverage with some aussies thrown in to balance...ţo change from a fantastic broad based appeal tour into this current bland, boring, tour from hell commentary...sbs should rethink... from coverage with international appeal to bland local coverage with some international highlights... shame on sbs

And to think this is only the first day...



Hmmm, One post from Linjellett.
And doesn't 'Lin jellet' sound a lot like 'Phil Liggett'?

I agree with all the other members comments. Robbie has grown into the role, and Matt's cycling knowledge is excellent. It may be parochial, but it is broadcast on SBS for Aussies, so that's ok in my opinion.

(I do believe though that Matt and Robbie's commentary is also broadcast on NBC Gold in the US)

wicksey
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby wicksey » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Back in your box..

Laidlaym
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby Laidlaym » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:29 pm

I can't see a TdF discussion other than this one. Where on the WWW can I see the route at a highly detailed level on a real map?

warthog1
Posts: 7091
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:I like the commentary from Matt & Robbie. Phil & Paul have had their day.


Ditto.
Streets ahead :)

warthog1
Posts: 7091
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:43 pm

Derny Driver wrote:This post must be a gee up. Liggett and Sherwin are beyond awful. Liggett cant tell a lead group from a peleton and cant recognise any of the riders if he cant see a number. Sherwins tired cliches are awful. Playing P and P bingo was the only fun thing about their horrid commentary. Who doesnt miss the heads of state dancing on the pedals in a spot of bother in the front end of the main field in the sport of professional cycling?


:lol: :lol:

caneye
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby caneye » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 am

Laidlaym wrote:I can't see a TdF discussion other than this one. Where on the WWW can I see the route at a highly detailed level on a real map?


does this help?
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... tage-guide

gsxrboy
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: Perth

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:36 pm

No comment on the comms, but a gripe about the cycling central website. Again they fail to provide a spoiler free page for the recap/result type vids and not even spoiler free thumbs for said vids.

Want to go watch the last minutes of a stage to see a thrilling race result and see who won? No need to see the vid, just look at the victory saluting in the thumbnail.

Dorks.

march83
Posts: 753
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby march83 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:44 pm

I highly recommend just hitting up reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/peloton/

Every morning when you wake up there's a results thread, curated with highlights and heavily spoiler protected. Then there's a bunch of doofuses discussing the stage's events which may or may not be of value to you ;)
Image

fat and old
Posts: 3474
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:03 pm

I’ll back you new guy :lol:

Keenan has to have the most annoying whining sonk voice on tv, and the pulling power of a sleeping sloth. I can’t stand him. McEwan I’m actually warming to, so long as he keeps his mug off camera. Gimme Kelly anyday, at least not being able to understand him I can believe :lol:

mikgit
Posts: 737
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:26 pm
Location: Launceston

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby mikgit » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:23 pm

While I didn't mid Phil and Paul...they were becoming clueless.
I quite like Robbie and Matt. I think they do a great job
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

User avatar
MattyK
Posts: 2351
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby MattyK » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:26 pm

At least P&P didn't murder the names of all the towns and castles and chateaux.

User avatar
ValleyForge
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 pm

You get what you pay for.

What? No coverage on Eurosport? Aargh!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

tcdev
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:08 pm
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby tcdev » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 pm

I'm going to agree with the bulk of comments about P & P; if you can't rely on the accuracy of the commentator call then what's the point of listening to it?

I'm on the fence with Keenan. I like the bloke, definitely has the knowledge of teams, riders and past performances but seems to somewhat lack insight in the peloton and definitely doesn't generate the excitement for me. Robbie's an improvement in these latter two departments, and will hopefully continue to improve over the years. Having said that, maybe they are a good combination! I thought they did well on The Bike Lane. As it is, I'd much rather listen to them than P & P. Very happy they got the gig!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

1Rowdy1
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:51 am

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby 1Rowdy1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 pm

2018 Tdf SBS commentary , I'm enjoying it.

RobertL
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby RobertL » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:30 am

Keenan annoyed me in the TTT last night when he commented about the speeds being so high that the riders were using a 58 tooth chainring.

He's right that they are using 58 tooth chainrings, but it's not because of the high speeds. They use a 58 so that they can spend more time in the 12 or 13 tooth sprocket at the back, rather than the 11 or 12 that they'd use if they were running a 53 or 54 chainring.

This allows them to run a slightly straighter chain line and save a few fractions of a percent in drivetrain friction energy losses.

The reason that they don't go larger than 58 is that that is the largest that their FDs can handle.

But according to Keenan it's because they are going so fast.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: human909