2018 Tdf SBS commentary

User avatar
Derny Driver
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:21 am

find_bruce wrote:Seems we have a better class of viewers than the ⚽️ who were complaining about Lucy Zelic pronouncing player’s names correctly :D

Robbie lived and rode in Europe for years. Speaks French, Spanish and probably Italian as well. Im pretty sure he can pronounce the French words correctly. Id trust him more than P and P. Sherwin has a limited vocabulary, about 100 words I reckon.

warthog1
Posts: 7085
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:00 pm

fat and old wrote:You kidding? It’s like watching Fast Foward...I laugh my guys out :lol: Which is what I’m meant to do. Gabriel (and Miguel too) know the score, and play up to it, just like Kamahl did. In 10 years there’ll be an ACA story on how terrible it was for them and how they’re scarred for life. Live from their Harbourside mansion.

We still have that 50’s xenophobia in Australia you know...Eyetalians and all that. Nothing unusual about that. A dingo took my bayyybeee maaaaate.


No I'm not joking.
I am also on a 4wd forum, so I know a bit about how the 50's white Australia policy lives on in some (though you have mixed messages by including Lindy Chamberlain in there) lol
It is not xenophobia behind my distaste.
I whinge about it every year taking time away from cycling but it has been cut back over time so I'll have to be satisfied with that.

g-boaf
Posts: 9568
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Now I know what the fuss is about. Watching TdF now, had the sound on for a few minutes, it is now on mute and using captions instead.

Robbie Is okay, but can't stand the other guy.

warthog1
Posts: 7085
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 pm

g-boaf wrote:Now I know what the fuss is about. Watching TdF now, had the sound on for a few minutes, it is now on mute and using captions instead.

Robbie Is okay, but can't stand the other guy.


Can't fault his knowledge.
I like him.
If the choice is Robbie and Mat v P+P I know who I prefer.
Not even close ;)

User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
Posts: 4582
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:05 am

To be fair, much of the problem is the boredom induced by many of the stages themselves. That 230km training ride the other day was ridiculous. Keep in mind we are now getting more hours of coverage than previously and the commentators are filling hours of dead air time. Earlier commentary combinations didn't have to fill so many hours and the hours they did do were the back end of the race once the TV cameras were turned on. Hence all the extra features now. Like the riders, the commentators need to pee at some stage!

AndrewCowley
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:57 am

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:50 am

Very true about the duration of the coverage compared to the past. This is another aspect where Eurosport gets it right. They cycle through (excuse the pun) a variety of commentators. It works well.

fat and old
Posts: 3393
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 am

Last night:

McEwan: He’s worked the whole season towards this

Captain Obvious interjects: His whole career

No shiz....

warthog1
Posts: 7085
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:38 pm

fat and old wrote:Last night:

McEwan: He’s worked the whole season towards this

Captain Obvious interjects: His whole career

No shiz....


Problem with that?
3 or 4 hours of commentary are needed every night.
I'm more concerned that he gets his information right.
He agreed with Robbie and extrapolated. Fine with me. :)

fat and old
Posts: 3393
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm

I like my commentators to tell me something I don’t know about cycling. Not about chateux

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 10177
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Robbie lived and rode in Europe for years. Speaks French, Spanish and probably Italian as well. Im pretty sure he can pronounce the French words correctly. Id trust him more than P and P. Sherwin has a limited vocabulary, about 100 words I reckon.

In fact, if you were paying attention during Stage 8, you would have heard McEwen educating Keenan on the correct pronunciation of the Château Crèvecoeur-le-Grand.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

warthog1
Posts: 7085
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm

fat and old wrote:I like my commentators to tell me something I don’t know about cycling. Not about chateux


And you got that with P+P over the whole course of the race?
I am no hugely knowledgeable cycling fan, but Mat and Robbie are providing far more accurate data and less repetitive anecdotes than P+P ever did.
The race coverage is in large part advertising for French tourism IMO.
You heard about the chateaux with P=P also and you'll hear about them with any commentator.
It must give them a chance to rattle on about something without thinking too much and as a commentator, probably provides much needed respite.

JPB
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby JPB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Not commenting on the commentators but I like the bit of fluff about the chateaux etc. Yes it makes a bit of a a travelogue but that is one of the reasons I watch. And I enjoy Gabriele Gate and the regional specialities, and yes I know it was prerecorded months ago.

RobertL
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby RobertL » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm more concerned that he gets his information right.


Well, he repeatedly mentioned Porte injuring his left shoulder last night when it was obviously his right one...
Image

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8924
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:20 pm

JPB wrote:Not commenting on the commentators but I like the bit of fluff about the chateaux etc. Yes it makes a bit of a a travelogue but that is one of the reasons I watch. And I enjoy Gabriele Gate and the regional specialities, and yes I know it was prerecorded months ago.


The travelogue stuff I can cope with (because that's what ASO provide), but the GG stuff is rubbish.

syu
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby syu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 pm

I just read this whole thread, hilarious.

I don't think everyone will ever agree on who is best to do the commentary on the TDF, different strokes.....

But can we all agree how terrible Mike Tomalaris is? He's a staple of SBS Tour coverage because he's been doing it for so long, but you would think after 20+ years he'd actually be good at it. He's not even an outlier in Australian media, Rupert Guinness has been doing it for 30+.

It seems most people skip Gabriel Gaté, as do I, but I'll skip any time Tomalaris is on camera. The cringe is too much. It's a disservice to whatever Dave McKenzie is probably saying.

For the record I'm in favour of Matt and Robbie all the way. Keenan's dry and Robbie is the colour. And all those ripping on Keenan, he pays attention to what's happening in professional cycling when he's not in the booth so he knows what's going on and and is able to share it with viewers, even if he's a bit reliant on twitter and podcasts. He can also pick out a rider with identical team kit and bike out of 9, now 8, via something discreet like sunglasses or shoes, if Paul and Phil see a guy on a Trek they'll probably say it's Lance.

warthog1
Posts: 7085
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:35 pm

MichaelB wrote:
The travelogue stuff I can cope with (because that's what ASO provide), but the GG stuff is rubbish.


syu wrote:I just read this whole thread, hilarious.

I don't think everyone will ever agree on who is best to do the commentary on the TDF, different strokes.....

But can we all agree how terrible Mike Tomalaris is? He's a staple of SBS Tour coverage because he's been doing it for so long, but you would think after 20+ years he'd actually be good at it. He's not even an outlier in Australian media, Rupert Guinness has been doing it for 30+.

It seems most people skip Gabriel Gaté, as do I, but I'll skip any time Tomalaris is on camera. The cringe is too much. It's a disservice to whatever Dave McKenzie is probably saying.

For the record I'm in favour of Matt and Robbie all the way. Keenan's dry and Robbie is the colour. And all those ripping on Keenan, he pays attention to what's happening in professional cycling when he's not in the booth so he knows what's going on and and is able to share it with viewers, even if he's a bit reliant on twitter and podcasts. He can also pick out a rider with identical team kit and bike out of 9, now 8, via something discreet like sunglasses or shoes, if Paul and Phil see a guy on a Trek they'll probably say it's Lance.


You two are obviously highly intelligent, discerning and insightful individuals :mrgreen: and you are spot on :lol:

Uncle Just
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Re Tomalaris, I've stuck up for his support of cycling coverage since it first went on air but lately some of the chats with Macca show a distinct lack of having developed any sense of what has happened on the road, what some riders are capable of or where their talents place them as climbers, GC riders etc. Macca to his credit lets him down gently although last night there was an emphatic "No!" to a way off beam suggestion by Tomalaris.
I've commented on too many forums over the years to be bothered anymore about the current duo. The only good thing is that P&P have gone.
The TdF is also a showcase for France tourism taking in its scenery, culture and history. Many people I know watch it for that and couldn't name another bike race anywhere. That's why the small segment on regional cuisine by GG is also important. Foodies love a good cooking show esp Francophiles.
My other issue with the format are those redundant rider interviews that pop up every half hour or so which tell us absolutely nothing.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8924
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 pm

warthog1 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
The travelogue stuff I can cope with (because that's what ASO provide), but the GG stuff is rubbish.



You two are obviously highly intelligent, discerning and insightful individuals :mrgreen: and you are spot on :lol:


Why thank you 8)

Oh, another sage comment. As long as they don’t bring back Anthony Tan, I’ll be even happier !!

warthog1
Posts: 7085
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:45 pm

:lol:
Too true

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 2418
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:49 pm

They have to talk about something on a flat stage when the peleton is just sitting around chewing up the kilometres waiting for the best time to reel in the break away. We might like the racing but for a large part of a fair number of stages it is all about putting KMs into the legs before the mountains, and giving the sprinters a chance for glory in the last couple of KMs.

Commentators have to fill in a lot of time, although I agree the interviews are generally banal.

DS
Image

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
Posts: 4582
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:33 am

The tourism promos are a requirement of the broadcast feed. Local regions pay money to the ASO to have the tour visit their Department and the promo slots are part of the TV rights deal. The commentary team are provided with all the briefing materials to use when appropriate. That it's done in the casual way it is, is actually pretty smart IMO. I like it better than the canned segments you get in other races.

Like advertisements and sponsorships, these subsidies are the things that actually fund (i) the racing and (ii) the broadcast of the racing.

Bike races per se lose money. Lots of money. There are only two races in the world that turn a profit of any substance for their private promoter. The TdF for the ASO (which it uses to subsidise their other loss making cycling events) and the Giro for the RCS. The Giro profit is very modest, nothing like the tour. In a pure ROI sense you don't run bikes races to make money.

Keep in mind that by and large, these races primarily run on tax payer money, so really the profit is a transfer of wealth from the public purse to the promoter. That's OK when it's a national icon, part of the cultural heritage. Local and state level subsidies typically are the major contributors.

It's the same for the big races in Australia, none of which would / could happen without $millions of State government funding. Whether they are part of the cultural heritage and worth ongoing public funding support is a matter of local debate. Most sport in the country is hugely reliant on public funding (think stadia, sport facilities) so it's not a novel concept.

fat and old
Posts: 3393
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 am

warthog1 wrote::lol:
Too true


:lol:
We can agree there!

warthog1
Posts: 7085
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:17 am

fat and old wrote:
:lol:
We can agree there!


The poor bloke.
I hope he doesn't read this forum. :oops:
I'm yet to find a fan.

fat and old
Posts: 3393
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am

warthog1 wrote:I hope he doesn't read this forum.


I do. I hope he reads it, pays attention and crawls back to the nearest magazine he can find to print his drivel :lol:

warthog1
Posts: 7085
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2018 Tdf SBS commentary

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:40 pm

fat and old wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I hope he doesn't read this forum.


I do. I hope he reads it, pays attention and crawls back to the nearest magazine he can find to print his drivel :lol:


:o Harsh


But honest :lol:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ivanerrol, jasonc, Rhubarb, Sharkey