Carbine Resto - Not sure of year?

scooter1971

Re: Carbine Resto - Not sure of year?

Postby scooter1971 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 pm

Here's the seat post now unstuck. As its threaded it wouldn't pull out, so had to wind out instead.

It has some lettering that i can't read but tried to photo it below.
Not sure if it is correct for 1950's, does anybody know for sure?

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:52 pm

I have a Carbine, number #12916, same head lugs, same cranks, same AM date code on Williams 3 pin Chainwheel, Sturmey Archer hub date code 6/50. All original one owner bike. Believed built in c1950. (Maybe1951?) original paint. 27" wheels. Details and extensive photos under 'Ride media, retro reviews' Google it. Your chrome bike is a ripper! Warren.

scooter1971

Postby scooter1971 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Yes, i found yours on that page while searching before i knew what brand mine was and it was the lugs that i noticed, then the emblem made sense. Strangely my emblem is not as defined as yours ?

The cranks etc... all seem original then, if mine looks half as good as yours when its finished I'll be v.happy.

Thanks

scooter1971

Postby scooter1971 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:47 am

Still having trouble removing the drive side cotter pin but hasn't prevented some well-needed polishing commencing over the weekend, must be a few decades since it's seen this kind of attention. The chrome seems pretty solid considering the age, worst is on inside of non-drive side chain stay (in the 'crease') so it's hidden away which is lucky.
There's a couple of rust bubbles here and there under TT and back of seat stays but the chrome is still holding firm at these spots, so will leave as is, maybe they laid the chrome on thicker back then? Bit of haze/ scratches around top of seat tube, couple of dents in TT. All in all pretty good for an almost 70 yr old machine.
Some old red reflective tape (indicative of a previous life) had gone like concrete so took a while to get off. Emblem has remains of what looks like brown paint which makes sense so gives a direction for future there is also same brown paint towards top of seat tube.

Strangely, although the chrome is surprisingly good the underlying surface of some frame components (Head Tube and lugs mainly) show some pitting and seems 'unfinished' somehow, having said this, i only have experience with 70's/80's chrome frames so thinking techniques improved over the years?
Would be great to hear any feedback from other 'old chrome frame' owners out there on this point.
Cheers all

scooter1971

Postby scooter1971 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Update, the weekend here was a bit wet so I tried all the tricks i knew to remove drive side cotter pin... Started with my Local Bike Store's pin press, progressed to a vice (with socket over end) press, then the drill. 5 drill bits, one hack saw blade and a broken build stand later the pin is still in the crank, shorter from both ends but still stuck fast.

Might try the motorcycle mechanic guy down the road next, does work on my old ducati and has a 2 ton bearing press which should get things moving.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm

I hate doing cotter pins but have had to do a few..in the past I had an old ball joint cone or steering knuckle removal tool from the 50s (unknown orugin) which just squished them out but the crank was unusable thereafter. If the crank means nothing to you might be worth a trip to Super cheap. ...
Mmm, SunTour

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:23 pm

This may not be news to Kid Carbine but I came across an old article while doing some research, apparently Bruce Small of Malvern Star bought Carbine from Fred Walcott in 1926- https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... rchLimits=
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:37 pm

there is a CARBINE branded roadster model in the 1929 Malvern Star catalogue.

scooter1971

Postby scooter1971 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:31 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:I hate doing cotter pins but have had to do a few..in the past I had an old ball joint cone or steering knuckle removal tool from the 50s (unknown orugin) which just squished them out but the crank was unusable thereafter. If the crank means nothing to you might be worth a trip to Super cheap. ...

Thanks, 20 or so drill bits later and I'm not far from finishing, unfortunately there has been some damage to the crank so I think it will be a new set after all.

A brooks saddle arrived today, so that cheered me up.