2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:32 am

Damn politics.

Anyway, the Elite Womens and Mens RR will be telecast (the last bit anyway) on SBS.

Apparently the other races are available on streaming of SBS On-demand.

I can't imagine what it would be like to try and keep moving up that last hill after almost 250km of racing !!

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7879
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:09 am

It's happened often, but I rarely take as much pleasure in being wrong. Just a shame the Australian jersey won't be worn for 12 months :wink:

Gee the time gaps have been big this year in the time trials - the only one that was close was the junior women

Mens 1:21.09 & 1:21.62
Womens 0:29 & 1:25
Mens U23 0:33 & 0:38
Mens junior 1:23 & 1:37
Womens junior 0:06.80 & 0:17.94

Remco Evenepoel's win in the mens junior was impressive & at 18 has already signed a pro contract with Quick-step for 2019

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:52 am

Before :
Image


After :

Image

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:54 am

find_bruce wrote:It's happened often, but I rarely take as much pleasure in being wrong. Just a shame the Australian jersey won't be worn for 12 months :wink:

.....
Remco Evenepoel's win in the mens junior was impressive & at 18 has already signed a pro contract with Quick-step for 2019


I think many will cope with not seeing the Aussie Champs TT jersey for a few months.

RE's win in the Junior ITT was huge. Be interesting to see if he copes in the PT or it's too early ?

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7879
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:11 am

find_bruce wrote:Remco Evenepoel's win in the mens junior was impressive & at 18 has already signed a pro contract with Quick-step for 2019
MichaelB wrote:RE's win in the Junior ITT was huge. Be interesting to see if he copes in the PT or it's too early ?

It is unfair that one kid has so much talent - crashes & loses a couple of minutes, chases back & on wins his own by a 1:25

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:16 am

find_bruce wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Remco Evenepoel's win in the mens junior was impressive & at 18 has already signed a pro contract with Quick-step for 2019
MichaelB wrote:RE's win in the Junior ITT was huge. Be interesting to see if he copes in the PT or it's too early ?

It is unfair that one kid has so much talent - crashes & loses a couple of minutes, chases back & on wins his own by a 1:25


Double HUGE :shock:

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7879
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:17 pm

MichaelB wrote:Maybe Haig’s or Clarke’s chance ?

It seems Brad McGee gets his ideas from Australian Cycling Forums

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby MichaelB » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:08 am

find_bruce wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Maybe Haig’s or Clarke’s chance ?

It seems Brad McGee gets his ideas from Australian Cycling Forums


If it works, I’ll claim the credit.

If it fails, I’ll blame McGee :P

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby MichaelB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:25 am

Silver for Amanda Spratt - we’ll done

But AvdB - :shock: WOW.

Wonder if there will be similar gaps in the Men’s race.

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7879
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:23 pm

MichaelB wrote:Silver for Amanda Spratt - we’ll done

But AvdB - :shock: WOW.

Wonder if there will be similar gaps in the Men’s race.

It was a really interesting race from 80k to go until about 40k when AvdB put her foot down & blew them all away. Good 40k time trial from Spratt to hang on to silver. Igls did a good job whittling the field down

But it’s only the elite men that face the monster at the end

fat and old
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby fat and old » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:27 pm

FWIW, UCI telecast on YouTube, live, right now!

fat and old
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby fat and old » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Nibali just slipped off the front during a feed zone! Dirty pool....

User avatar
Derny Driver
Posts: 2374
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:49 am

Valverde !
Great ride by the French and Spanish teams.
Allaphillipe unfortunately dropped when his teammate Bardet pulled a hard turn on the final climb.
They reckon Bardet cant sprint? He did well to get 2nd.
Good race. Plenty of the big favourites got shelled.
Jack Haig was good I thought, just couldnt quite maintain contact on the final attack, final hill.

fat and old
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby fat and old » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:12 am

Not that I’m upset 8) but why did Doumalin pull up when he caught them? He had some serious impetus going on.

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7879
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby find_bruce » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:32 am

fat and old wrote:Not that I’m upset 8) but why did Doumalin pull up when he caught them? He had some serious impetus going on.
Because he had burnt all his matches catching them & piti would have followed. Dumoulin did try & jump them at 1k to go, but piti was watching

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:37 am

Bugger re 1st place, but good and interesting Top 4.

Haven’t watched it yet, but for Haig to Top 20 is brilliant.

Surprising that some didn’t do well yet others did. Was surprised that TD did so well especially after ITT result.

Oh well ....

fat and old
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby fat and old » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Meh, your man won Valverde’s home race, be content 8) :lol:

Yeah, I read Doumalin’s comments on that. He really looked to be bearing down on them at the time.

Kudos to Bardet. A Frenchie worthy of respect. I was impressed with his showing at Strade and am more so now.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9831
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:23 pm

MichaelB wrote:Bugger re 1st place, but good and interesting Top 4.

Haven’t watched it yet, but for Haig to Top 20 is brilliant.

Surprising that some didn’t do well yet others did. Was surprised that TD did so well especially after ITT result.

Oh well ....


I'm watching it now - very nice to have the whole thing online. :) So many places they are going through I remember riding through there myself. 8)

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 pm

fat and old wrote:Meh, your man won Valverde’s home race, be content 8) :lol:

Yeah, I read Doumalin’s comments on that. He really looked to be bearing down on them at the time.

Kudos to Bardet. A Frenchie worthy of respect. I was impressed with his showing at Strade and am more so now.


I’m an Aussie, and a Brit won that race. But for an Aussie team at least.

Interesting that Kennaugh was the top Brit !

fat and old
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby fat and old » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:12 am

Have to admit yappy put in an excellent ride. Bit annoying listening to the British commentary carrying on about him like he had a chance :lol: but the fella worked hard. Stannard looked like a beached whale :lol:

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:22 am

Poor old NQ & MLM are now going to play 2nd fiddle to AVB whenever the two ride :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ride by Woods was a brilliant one, and I hope that he get's his chances. Maybe iL Lombardia ? As others have nmentioned, Bardet impressed as well.

Watched it last night, and that climb up the Holl was &^$(&^&*^$%&%.

vosadrian
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby vosadrian » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:40 am

Great race! Anyone think the result would have been different if Bardet had not rode Allaphillipe off the back. Valverde had no more team support, but had Bardet riding for him anyway!!
Image

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7879
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:18 pm

MichaelB wrote:Poor old NQ & MLM are now going to play 2nd fiddle to AVB whenever the two ride :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep now that he has rainbow stripes, piti won't be riding for anyone but himself :wink:

vosadrian wrote:Great race! Anyone think the result would have been different if Bardet had not rode Allaphillipe off the back. Valverde had no more team support, but had Bardet riding for him anyway!!

Watching live I saw it as a planned move, but Alaphilippe didn't have the legs to stay with it. Yes the result would have been different yes if Bardet had waited, but not to the extent of Alaphilippe winning -Woods & Dumoulin wouldn't have been spent & Moscon would have been in the mix. As I saw it Bardet was trying to drop piti on the way up & on the descent but couldn't have achieved it.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9177
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:03 pm

The only other good thing was that Moscow didn’t feature on the podium.

And to see big TD paperboying up the climb was amazing.

Can’t imagine what that would be like to even attempt fresh, let alone after 250km of racing !!

And Haig averaged 37km/hr for 7 hours !!

Crikey

vosadrian
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Re: 2018 WRRC - who's gonna win ?

Postby vosadrian » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:58 pm

find_bruce wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Poor old NQ & MLM are now going to play 2nd fiddle to AVB whenever the two ride :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep now that he has rainbow stripes, piti won't be riding for anyone but himself :wink:

vosadrian wrote:Great race! Anyone think the result would have been different if Bardet had not rode Allaphillipe off the back. Valverde had no more team support, but had Bardet riding for him anyway!!

Watching live I saw it as a planned move, but Alaphilippe didn't have the legs to stay with it. Yes the result would have been different yes if Bardet had waited, but not to the extent of Alaphilippe winning -Woods & Dumoulin wouldn't have been spent & Moscon would have been in the mix. As I saw it Bardet was trying to drop piti on the way up & on the descent but couldn't have achieved it.


I'm sure it was a planned move, and Allaphillipe did not have the legs he hoped he would have. But it took Bardet a while to realise that and by that time he had just done what Valverde would have asked a team mate to do had he had one! I would have thought the best chance the French had of winning was to get Allaphillipe into the final against Valverde... particularly if Bardet was also there. Ideally the fastest pace that Allaphillipe could manage to limit the selection, but Bardet went too hard for him. Still... a silver is nothing to sneeze at!

At the end when Valverde went long, I thought he was making a mistake, but he had the legs to pull it off... It was impressive to see him control that finish from the front.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users