Popular Bike Shops
Join the Cycling Forums on Strava
Australian Cycling Forums on Strava
Latest Reviews and Articles
Will your next bike be Intelligent? ABS and Smart Bike Tech
Vitus Vitesse EVO Disc Review – Speed Machine indeed!
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 12:34 pm
Here's what I have:
- Mystery Steel frame (seems light) with cinelli BB and campag drop outs (no matching fork)
- A carbon fork 1" with threaded steel / alloy steerer. It is from a very large bike so will need to be cut down and thread recut
- 5700 Shimano 105 groupset
My questions to the brains trust (I preface by stating that I am looking for the lowest possible cost - see mention of wife above!!):
- What BB will I need for the 105 crankset
- I am assuming a threaded 1" headset is needed. Any recommendations?
What else am I mssing?
Thanks in advance!!!
- Posts: 4220
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm
thecraig wrote:- What BB will I need for the 105 crankset
One that matches the frame. It may be English (left hand thread on RHS) or Italian (right hand thread on RHS) - See this from Sheldon
In a perfect world you'd be able to get a 105 BB in there to match the groupset- (5700/5703/5750) 105 10 Spd Bottom Bracket as it was available in English and Italian threadways. You need to check the total axle length.
thecraig wrote:- I am assuming a threaded 1" headset is needed. Any recommendations?
I'd look for a vintage 105, simply to match (and they're as maintainable as any other "standard" headset) NOS could be a challenge but there's similar new items both mass produced and special (e.g. Velo-Orange)
thecraig wrote:What else am I mssing?
Getting that fork checked by someone who knows what they're doing. Particularly the carbon/metal joint (nothing good has ever been written about them failing). Most capitals have someone "in the know".
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General Cycling Discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Malvern Star
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users
About the Australian Cycling Forums
The largest cycling discussion forum in Australia for all things bike; from new riders to seasoned bike nuts, the Australian Cycling Forums are a welcoming community where you can ask questions and talk about the type of bikes and cycling topics you like.