More WestConnex construction disruptions

find_bruce

More WestConnex construction disruptions

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 am

The next stage of WestConnex construction is about to begin and looks like it will have even greater impact on cyclists that previous work - is the M4 path ride-able yet ? When exactly will the M2 be available again ?

Given the generally poor thought that goes into alternative routes, I thought I'd start a thread to deal with the next stages of construction when the work will happen, the extent of the disruption and the best alternatives.

The area I am most familiar with is Rozelle where signs have started to go up about the work.

They don't like to give much warning, but the work is slated to commence in 2019. It looks like for the duration of construction the eastern end of the new Iron Cove bridge will have a diversion & will no longer have access to Victoria Rd. It is hard to find information, but it seems the official diversion goes through the Manning St car park - which will become a construction car park, through some back streets to Moodie St. Unfortunately this has some short sharp hills as well as narrow streets so its not particularly suitable.

The northern side across the old Iron Cove bridge looks like it will be unaffected, but still has the longstanding hazards of the narrow passage & congestion around the bus stop, and drivers failing to give way entering or leaving the petrol stations - its not too bad when going slowly uphill but no way I want to go downhill there.

So it looks like when heading into the city I will either go up to Darling St via the Sydney College of the Arts or use the old Iron Cove Bridge.

Heading out of the city I usually ride down Victoria Rd & think I will probably keep doing that & as I can't join the bay run I will just stay on the road until I get to the far side of the bridge

g-boaf

Re: More WestConnex construction disruptions

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

find_bruce wrote:The next stage of WestConnex construction is about to begin and looks like it will have even greater impact on cyclists that previous work - is the M4 path ride-able yet ?

The M4 path is open - I rode on it Thursday night. And I use parts of it every morning and afternoon on my commute ride.

I cannot speak for going further into the city, I no longer work in the CBD.

SteveTheTiger

Re: More WestConnex construction disruptions

Postby SteveTheTiger » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:09 am

The full length of the M5 Linear Park Shared Path is open from Salt Pan Creek east to Bexley Road.
Cyclists may use the M5 emergency shoulders only from Belmore Road heading West, due to construction of the Belmore Road ramps and WestCONnex ( the new M5).