Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

User avatar
queequeg
Posts: 5392
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:18 pm

mikesbytes wrote:This thread has made me think about cleat covers, which are available for 3 bolt cleats, to protect the cleat. Are there cleat covers for spd's ?


I'm not sure the design actually lends itself to a cover being viable. All my SPD shoes have the cleat recessed into the shoe, so the cleat never touches the floor when you walk around.
I have seen some shoes that have a 2-bolt and 3-bolt option where the SPD cleat is mounted without being recessed. My wife has some road shoes like this, but it also has a special adapter that goes between the shows and the cleat, such that you still end up with the cleat recessed into the shoe, albeit with what looks more like a standard road cleat that is awkward to walk in, but the cleat still does not touch the ground.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

User avatar
CycloVelo
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:54 am

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby CycloVelo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:38 pm

mikesbytes wrote:This thread has made me think about cleat covers, which are available for 3 bolt cleats, to protect the cleat. Are there cleat covers for spd's ?


There are shoes that come with covers for the spd mounting holes, but I believe they are provided to plug the hole when the buyer chooses not to install cleats. For example:

Image

User avatar
Bunged Knee
Posts: 900
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm
Location: Not drowning in Parramatta river yet

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:48 pm

mikesbytes wrote: Are there cleat covers for spd's ?


There`s an Exustar SPD cleat covers in E bay but only from USA. But there`s a Scada SPD cover from this Ebay seller at $24.90 or cheap one from China at $16.09 but takes longer to door.

Image
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

fat and old
Posts: 3755
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:44 pm

RobertL wrote:Get the direction to take your shoes off and walk in socks in writing. Then get yourself "injured" while in only your socks.


Without reading any further this wins!

Wixxy
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:35 am
Location: Perth

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby Wixxy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:56 pm

It's someone else's building so their rules.

That said as a tenant your employer could have a discussion.

Also if the owner won't buy lockers for the basement would your employer buy a couple if they get permission to use the basement for such storage?

Do you have bike storage in the basement or car park (if there is one)? Save having to drag your bike up the building every day?

User avatar
Strawburger
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm
Location: Dulwich Hill, Sydney

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby Strawburger » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:17 pm

I’m in Barangaroo, for those not in sydney they classify it as a 5 or 6 star green rating building. The end of trip facilities are awesome, except that there are so many rules around the facilities that it is almost impossible not to break a rule.

I’ve pointed out the faults in the rules, but they shrug their shoulders and say we don’t make the rules... they are not paid much and they don’t ride bikes to work so their care factor is minimal.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 13242
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm in the old Suncorp building in George St. My end-of-trip facilities are pretty good too. Except the lockers unlock after four hours, you can't leave your stuff in there overnight orthey takeit away, and you can't get access after 7pm. The building owners also occupy the top floor. A very strange mob. :roll:

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby 4xsama » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:48 am

Wixxy wrote:It's someone else's building so their rules.

That said as a tenant your employer could have a discussion.

Also if the owner won't buy lockers for the basement would your employer buy a couple if they get permission to use the basement for such storage?

Do you have bike storage in the basement or car park (if there is one)? Save having to drag your bike up the building every day?


The building has an 'EOT' in the basement but is pretty cr*p and no one uses it. There are DDA compliant amenities on each floor so most people use this. The bike storage is just racks scattered around the carpark. No central, caged, storage unfortunately. When I travel for works I'll ride in the day before, get all the gubbins I need (laptop/charger/files etc) and train home. Instead of keeping the bike in the racks over a couple or nights I leave it in the office where its safer. Non bike people think this is a bit weird (its just a bike eh).

Regarding good EOT's, the bigger commercial operators (Dexus/Charter Hall etc) spend a lot on the facilities as they know the value employers put on these amenities as many employees current ad potential) see the amenities as an attraction to work with a company and the companies are coming around to the benefits of regular exercise for staff.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

tez001
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:05 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby tez001 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:04 am

Ive moved in to a new building in the CBD and they put new EOT facilities in. Really the only thing missing is probably a barista and maid to iron your shirts :lol:

Dedicated bike room with tools, pump, filtered water, vending machine for consumables. They really thought about the appeal to all commuters. In the bike room there are the normal vertical racks, and then some others where you can slide your bikes in (for the heavier ones).

In the change rooms, plenty of lockers which are reset weekly, drying cupboard, irons, hair dryers etc etc
Really love the facilities, more buildings need to do this to encourage not only just cycling but exercise before, during and after work.

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby 4xsama » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:11 am

EOT's are going to the next level in some high end buildings. Have a look at the following;

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 4z5a4.html

These guys have even run a competition where the winner gets a $15k custom bike;

https://www.101collins.com.au/eot-and-the-winner-is/
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

User avatar
CycloVelo
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:54 am

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby CycloVelo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:31 am

4xsama wrote:EOT's are going to the next level in some high end buildings. Have a look at the following;

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 4z5a4.html

These guys have even run a competition where the winner gets a $15k custom bike;

https://www.101collins.com.au/eot-and-the-winner-is/


Yikes!! Not having to work at all is the dream, but if you have to work, then that's the kind of place to work at!

Tamiya
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby Tamiya » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:22 pm

CycloVelo wrote:
4xsama wrote:Yikes!! Not having to work at all is the dream, but if you have to work, then that's the kind of place to work at!


$15k could be chump change to some of those investment & merchant bankers in 101 :lol: back when I got sequestered there would come back from lunch & find colleagues have gone impulse shopping at the various Swiss watch boutiques located handily nearby on Collins St... Breitling from the store at the entrance did especially good trade :wink:

User avatar
P!N20
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby P!N20 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:34 pm

4xsama wrote:These guys have even run a competition where the winner gets a $15k custom bike;


Do you know what they had to do to be in the running?

I hope Shannon is into beach cruisers.

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby 4xsama » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:04 pm

It could be possible Shannon isn't into bikes and will sell said $15k ride.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6152
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:18 pm

I recall many decades ago that my rather bullying GM insisted that everyone (which meant men) wear "business style" ties, "business style" shirts and jacket and "business style" footwear. Much to the annoyance of the HR people I insisted that I could not reasonably comply with the footwear edict and that I could provide "adequate legal and medical documentation" to that effect. They waived the edict and, at my insistance (and again to their annoyance), recorded on my personnel file that I could wear what I considered appropriate to my circumstance. I alternated between crocs or bare sox for the last twenty years of my professional and management career. :lol:

In all my time riding my unicycle I have very occasionally come across objections to passage or transport. And it is usually a security or house officer type person. Similar sorts of people that the OP experienced and often safety or public liability is mentioned.

However it is being inconvenienced by international and interstate airlines and Euro rail and similar that I worry seriously about. So I resolved the problem. I now have a medical certificate from my GP explaining that my unicycle is a form of mobility device. :mrgreen: Seriously, I carry a photocopy around in my wallet.

===================================

But back to the OP, as you are not damaging the floor then you should keep on pushing. Hard. Wear him down. It's not your problem that he wants to make his dealings with real offenders easier on himself. If necessary, tell him it's time to grow a pair.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby 4xsama » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I recall many decades ago that my rather bullying GM insisted that everyone (which meant men) wear "business style" ties, "business style" shirts and jacket and "business style" footwear. Much to the annoyance of the HR people I insisted that I could not reasonably comply with the footwear edict and that I could provide "adequate legal and medical documentation" to that effect. They waived the edict and, at my insistance (and again to their annoyance), recorded on my personnel file that I could wear what I considered appropriate to my circumstance. I alternated between crocs or bare sox for the last twenty years of my professional and management career. :lol:

In all my time riding my unicycle I have very occasionally come across objections to passage or transport. And it is usually a security or house officer type person. Similar sorts of people that the OP experienced and often safety or public liability is mentioned.

However it is being inconvenienced by international and interstate airlines and Euro rail and similar that I worry seriously about. So I resolved the problem. I now have a medical certificate from my GP explaining that my unicycle is a form of mobility device. :mrgreen: Seriously, I carry a photocopy around in my wallet.

===================================

But back to the OP, as you are not damaging the floor then you should keep on pushing. Hard. Wear him down. It's not your problem that he wants to make his dealings with real offenders easier on himself. If necessary, tell him it's time to grow a pair.


Great response - cheers. I wasn't expecting this when I got to work today. Made my Friday.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6152
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Attitude of Building Owners.Managers to Bikes

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:56 pm

4xsama wrote:
Great response - cheers. I wasn't expecting this when I got to work today. Made my Friday.

I thought that I wondered off topic, :roll: but I'm glad it tickled your fancy.

Now get to work on that house officer :evil: and sort him out.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users