Frame touch up

silentC

Frame touch up

Postby silentC » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:37 pm

My old 1993 Giant has a few holes in the paint job here and there. It's actually pretty good for it's age, but I was wondering what people would do to touch things up that didn't involve stripping the frame or anything drastic like that. I want it to bear reasonably close inspection but not overly fussed about it - ie a semi-visible splotch of paint will look better than a bare steel patch.

I guess I can try and get a colour match and grab some enamel paint, what do you think? I have spray gear but not sure that's the best idea.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Tamiya

Re: Frame touch up

Postby Tamiya » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:04 pm

I have spray gear, airbrush etc... but yeah it's not worth that trouble - unless it's a fade job. :)

What colour is your paint?

Used to go buy Holts Duplicolour but these days they're getting hard to find. (Back when I started we could buy them from Kmart!!)

Go to your local hobby shop and checkout their colour range for Humbrol (little tin cans) and Tamiya X enamels (little SQUARE glass bottles, not the round which are Acrylics). Places that do anime models also have GUNDAM paint markers, they're handy & work well especially for bright primary colours.

Also sniff around Kmart/BigW etc in their nail varnish aisle, especially for the younger crowd :) the older buyers like nude/beige shades which don't help. Watchout for recent trend towards matte colours - good for patching a murdered matte job but PITA otherwise. You can buy a clear gloss to go over it though, if that matte bottle is the best colour match.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:09 pm

On cars i have restored over the years i always keep ½ ltr and touch up chips with dab of paint on an earbud. You can wet n dry re-dab and polish etc and hardly noticable. I think your hardest part will be colour matching. Once you start getting the spray gun out, painting the whole frame is easier than trying to blend etc.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:17 pm

The frame is fire engine red.

Like this:

I've recently discovered there are stacks of NOS parts around for this bike, which has got me all excited. I have already bought a brand new saddle off eBay.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Qtips cotton buds often leave lint fibres.

Go past a cosmetics counter where they have testers... they use these short stubby "applicators" with heartshaped foam tip... acquire a handful, they're really great for dabbing paint into stonechips. ;)

For smaller pinholes I use a bamboo toothpick. Slightly larger hole to fill, get a bamboo takeaway chopstick and stick it into a pencil sharpener. Makes great tool for poking paint into odd places.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:19 pm

NASHIE wrote:On cars i have restored over the years i always keep ½ ltr and touch up chips with dab of paint on an earbud. You can wet n dry re-dab and polish etc and hardly noticable. I think your hardest part will be colour matching. Once you start getting the spray gun out, painting the whole frame is easier than trying to blend etc.

Yeah I thought spraying would be hard. I might drop down to the local paint shop and see if they can do a colour match. I am up in Sydney later this week so I guess I could drop into Hobby Co and see what they've got.
- Me

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:26 pm

silentC wrote:The frame is fire engine red.

Looks nice!

I've got a similar red on the Chopper Mk3... and the modern Taiwan Raleigh paint is awful!! Think they've forgotten any etch primer, just touching the paint makes it fracture & flake off the alloy frame.

This one is getting the nailvarnish treatment :P plenty of bright reds you can buy, from $1 to $40+... yeah I'm down at the cheap end. My usual goto is a nailvarnish set sold by Western Bulldogs in their team colours of red-White/blue... buy one if you see any stock around, most handy. Don't know if it's a oneoff mercy item though.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Tamiya wrote:Qtips cotton buds often leave lint fibres.

Go past a cosmetics counter where they have testers... they use these short stubby "applicators" with heartshaped foam tip... acquire a handful, they're really great for dabbing paint into stonechips. ;)

Good tip on the testers. Your right about buds, have had the odd fibre to deal with. One of those last minute or late night jobs before a cruise :wink:

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:30 pm

Hobbico has good Tamiya range, ask for X7 Enamel 8)

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:33 pm

NASHIE wrote:
Tamiya wrote:Qtips cotton buds often leave lint fibres.

Good tip on the testers. Your right about buds, have had the odd fibre to deal with. One of those last minute or late night jobs before a cruise :wink:

If qtips are all you got... snip off the cotton blobs :twisted: I find the plastic or paper stick a better paint tool than the bud :P especially when you cut it at a sharp angle like a quill pen nib.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:40 pm

Ray Dobbins has a page on paint touch-ups: http://www.raydobbins.com/pantografata/ ... ouchup.htm

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:42 pm

+1 for what Tamiya has outlined, I often use the cosmetic applicators
and Humbrol model paint (goes way back to my Airfix/Revell model building days)

or failing that, some nail polish followed by clear nail lacquer.
Mmm, SunTour

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:14 pm

Nail polish mate. Easy

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 am

Ok good tips, thanks. I'll see what I can find and try a few things.
- Me

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Nail polish mate. Easy

+1. Easy to apply, dries fast, sufficiently robust for small spots: can't go wrong.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:48 am

nemo57 wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:Nail polish mate. Easy

+1. Easy to apply, dries fast, sufficiently robust for small spots: can't go wrong.

yeah, well... so I go looking for right colour, no choice but to test paint... & I can't really bring the bike in, can I... so I gotta gamble - on average leave shop with 3-5 bottles... and about 20-25 shades applied across both hands... :oops: :lol:

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Why do you think we shave our legs, honey?

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:40 am

nemo57 wrote:Why do you think we shave our legs, honey?

by blade or brazing blowtorch? :P

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 am

Well I went in to Hobby Co and had a look at acrylics and lacquers. There are quite a few red shades though and apparently no such thing as a colour chart. So I will have to try and work out which colour.

I was in the chemist with my wife yesterday and she was looking for nail polish, so she bought a little bottle of 'rapid ruby' for me to try. But sadly, despite the apt name, I think it is too dark.
- Me

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:44 am

Supercheap Auto sells Holts Duplicolour touch up pens in a range of colours.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 am

silentC wrote:Well I went in to Hobby Co and had a look at acrylics and lacquers. There are quite a few red shades though and apparently no such thing as a colour chart. So I will have to try and work out which colour.

I was in the chemist with my wife yesterday and she was looking for nail polish, so she bought a little bottle of 'rapid ruby' for me to try. But sadly, despite the apt name, I think it is too dark.

If you can stand the awkwardness of it, take the frame with. I'm that muppet who takes a bike/bike frame into the local chemist/Bunnings/wherever.
Mmm, SunTour

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Tamiya colours
Humbrol colours

you may need to mix two colours together to get a better match

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Your bike is no Ruby, it's Pillar Box Red :roll:

Model paints colour charts are as near as Google...

X7 will be closest in Enamel or Acrylic range; there's more shades of red in TS spray paint range like TS8 Italian Red (matching to X7). If it's any lighter I'd go TS49 Bright Red but there's no matching brush paint bottle for that shade.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:21 pm

TS are SPRAY can colours

you'll be looking at $13ish per spraycan vs $4 for glass bottle enamel

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:32 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:you may need to mix two colours together to get a better match

good luck, it's not easy to adjust "red" :twisted:

There's nothing you can add to X7 Red to make it "more" red. :lol:

I can add a touch of Black X1 to shade X7 darker but soon it becomes muddy. I'd usually shade with X19 Smoke instead, gives lighter effect.

Adding X2 White doesn't lighten X7, it makes it Pink... :?

Doesn't need saying all components mixed should be from the same brand & paint range, can't mix acrylics & enamels... hence square vs round bottles.

I don't use Humbrol much when overpainting existing paintwork that I don't know what it originally is... if that old paint is an Acrylic, painting most other Enamel on top often wrinkles the old paint that it touches. The Tamiya square bottles haven't done that in my past meanderings.