Tyre recommendations

macmanluke
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 am
Location: Adelaide

Tyre recommendations

Postby macmanluke » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Hello all

I have a Polygon Path 3 hybrid currently running 700x38c Deli tyre hybrid tyre - almost slicks.
They are pretty average, with 1000km on them are basically worn out
and got my first puncture on the weekend which left a good cut in the tyre so time to replace them

Im having a hard time trying to decide what direction to go, I ride 95% paths and road and 5% gravel paths.
My current tyres have been pretty sketchy on dirt so considering going with more off road capable tyre
but i dont really want to sacrifice too much speed (eg rolling resistance) or comfort/smoothness.

I quite enjoy riding off road and wouldn't mind doing more of it but just not sure how suitable this bike is
or if i should just set it up for road use and aim to get another bike in the future for off road.

Options I'm thinking:
1) Full road tyre / slick - stick to roads and stop riding gravel, slight change of routes. How do slicks go in moist conditions?
2) Another hybrid tyre - continue as i have been, minimal dirt ok in wet.
3) Semi off road tyre - Hopefully allow me to ride some dirt tracks with a bit more control without too many side effects?

Tyre size i would think would be 700x35-40

So many options to choose from especially if going the off road option its hard to know where to start.

any thoughts or suggestions welcome

thanks!
Luke

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:31 pm

I've used the Maxxis Overdrive in the same size on a couple of hybrid type bikes, have some on a Kona Dew I'm mucking around with and they seem quite decent for the price.
Mmm, SunTour

macmanluke
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 am
Location: Adelaide

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby macmanluke » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:34 pm

thanks they were one of the tyres i came across in my searches that looked decent

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 4308
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Get something with a traditional road tread (see below) or "file" tread (two types - single as below or diamond-knurled crosshatch, often seen on "dry" cyclocross tyres) or similar non-knobbly tyres and you'll be fine on most things other than mud, snow and wet grass. Or deep sand.
Image

Slicks provide no real advantage on real roads (compared to carcass and compound choices) compared to traditional treads. Some like to arguethat they put you at a disadvantage.

While we're talking Maxxis, the 40mm Re-fuse fit the bill rather nicely. Shame they're not as cheap as the 23mm version. :D Panaracer Pasela do the job nicely and the (plain) gravel king look good too. At the top end, Challenge and Compass have really nice stuff.

If you really have to have knobs, there are now a few tyres around which claim to be both knobbly and fast on tarmac: the Compass Steilacomb being the first out of the blocks. I've not tried these sorts of things so YMMV.

You should get getting about 5,000km from decent quality tyres. (less for super stickies or super cheapies).

Ps, if you're pumping your tyres up too hard they will be "sketchy" on a whole pile of surfaces.

How fast do you want to spend?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

macmanluke
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 am
Location: Adelaide

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby macmanluke » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm

thanks, thats the kind of info im after!

Maxis refuse does look like a good option (or similar)

Dont think i need anything as knobby as Compass Steilacomb, dont intend to ride in mud etc
Was look at something like Vittoria Randonneur Trail

Quite familiar with tyre pressures as i know the affect it can have from 4wding but i have not really played with it too much.
So far i have mostly been running 80psi, started off 60psi but was noticeably "slower" on road.

Price is not a big concern, under $100 for a pair would be good but if something dearer is worth it then id consider it.

madmacca
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby madmacca » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:25 pm

macmanluke wrote:thanks, thats the kind of info im after!

Maxis refuse does look like a good option (or similar)

Dont think i need anything as knobby as Compass Steilacomb, dont intend to ride in mud etc
Was look at something like Vittoria Randonneur Trail

Quite familiar with tyre pressures as i know the affect it can have from 4wding but i have not really played with it too much.
So far i have mostly been running 80psi, started off 60psi but was noticeably "slower" on road.

Price is not a big concern, under $100 for a pair would be good but if something dearer is worth it then id consider it.


80 psi is way too high for tyres of that width. Image

As you get faster you get more vibration, so our minds think that more vibration = more speed. But if that vibration is due to rock hard tyres, it is actually slower due to increased suspension losses. What you feel as "slower" is acutally smoother and faster. Definitely drop the pressure.

User avatar
Ivanerrol
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby Ivanerrol » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:16 pm

I just bought some Schwalbe Marathon Greengaurds. They were on sale - check the net.
I’m impressed with them. Roll very well on the road. Nice chunky tread for the gravel.

I had two pinch flats over the weekend. Hit two drain grates over two days. I’m 100 kilos and the tyres I had the flats were 23 and 25mm. This is what provoked me into a more suitable tyre.
The Marathons I bought were 700x28 but they do go up to 700x42 plus.

The marathons are rated for ebikes - so will take a fair amount of weight.

These tyres were highly rated by the guys in Finland who test rolling resistance.
"Follow your passion - go Broke. Follow an opportunity get wealthy" - Mike Rowe - Dirty Jobs

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 4308
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:The marathons are rated for ebikes - so will take a fair amount of weight.

Marathons have a reputation for being strong & tough and are universally highly recommended for loaded touring in remote locations.

Ivanerrol wrote:These tyres were highly rated by the guys in Finland who test rolling resistance.
On a rolling drum?

I've never heard anyone accuse a marathon of being fast (i.e. supple). Except in comparison to other marathons. :D

(I'd love to be shown wrong as they're available in 32-630 and good, fast tyres in this size are getting scarce)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

User avatar
Ivanerrol
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby Ivanerrol » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Ivanerrol wrote:The marathons are rated for ebikes - so will take a fair amount of weight.

Marathons have a reputation for being strong & tough and are universally highly recommended for loaded touring in remote locations.

Ivanerrol wrote:These tyres were highly rated by the guys in Finland who test rolling resistance.
On a rolling drum?

I've never heard anyone accuse a marathon of being fast (i.e. supple). Except in comparison to other marathons. :D

(I'd love to be shown wrong as they're available in 32-630 and good, fast tyres in this size are getting scarce)


Well at least those Finnish guys test all tyres on the same rig so there should at least be some useful data.

I have a set of Vittoria Randoneurs - these are slugs compared to the Marathons.

Another reason I bought the Marathons.
My mate wants to go gravel busting with me. The only suitable bike I have is my Frankenbike Specialized Sirrus. I normally run 24 mm Continental Grand Prix’s on that so the Narathons seemed to be a compromise.
"Follow your passion - go Broke. Follow an opportunity get wealthy" - Mike Rowe - Dirty Jobs

User avatar
Duck!
Expert
Posts: 7084
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby Duck! » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Thoglette wrote:Slicks provide no real advantage on real roads (compared to carcass and compound choices) compared to traditional treads. Some like to arguethat they put you at a disadvantage.

In the Real World there's no real difference between slicks and file treads, but proper knobbies are distinctly inferior on sealed surfaces; the knobs squirm, so there's increased friction both between the tyre and the ground, and within the tyre iself, plus there's less conatct area onthe ground, so when conered hard they will "walk", sometimes quite alarmingly depending on the size and pattern of the tread blocks. Given the OP's estimate of 95% sealed surface riding, knobby tyres aren't really a wortrhwhile option.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

macmanluke
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 am
Location: Adelaide

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby macmanluke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:14 am

madmacca wrote:80 psi is way too high for tyres of that width. Image

As you get faster you get more vibration, so our minds think that more vibration = more speed. But if that vibration is due to rock hard tyres, it is actually slower due to increased suspension losses. What you feel as "slower" is acutally smoother and faster. Definitely drop the pressure.


Thanks thats interesting, I was just going off the tyres recommended range which was 60-80psi.
The difference was a noticeable 2ish km/h average speed gain on gps logging.

That chart would suggest 50-55psi, ill certainly give it a go again.
Im guessing you would also go lower end for gravel vs bitumen

Schwalbe Marathons do come up quite a bit but reviews i read suggested a tough tyre but not super fast or comfortable due to their stiffness/tough build

RobertL
Posts: 730
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby RobertL » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:25 am

Duck! wrote: when conered hard they will "walk", sometimes quite alarmingly


I got a slow rear puncture on a group ride a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realise until I took a corner and the rear tyre walked, scrubbed, went sideways and nearly came off the rim. It was definitely a sphincter-clenching moment. The guy behind me saw it happening and said it was amazing to watch.

On the plus side, I can report that the $8 Aldi CO2 inflator works a treat!
Image

macmanluke
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 am
Location: Adelaide

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby macmanluke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:07 pm

Just ordered a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus - after some thought a tough tyre is pretty important as punctures suck and they seem to go pretty well on gravel. if i dont like them ill get a set of road specific tyres and keep these for if i want to do a dirt track.

Widget
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Tyre recommendations

Postby Widget » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Hello, sorry to jump in. I too am in need of new tyres. My Vittoria Rubino Pros have worn down, so was looking on wiggle, thinking of getting another set of Rubino Pros, but saw they have "Vittoria Rubino G+ Graphene Tyre" for similar price... has anyone tried these 'Graphene' tyres?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arope99, darkhorse75