Quarq PM's and the cadence magnet

MichaelB

Quarq PM's and the cadence magnet

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:46 am

OK, so I've managed to grab a 2015 Quarq PM with SiSL2 arms for a bargain after the failed Pioneer experiment (the Pioneer 'pod' version doesn't work on the later version of Cannondale Si arms, as they are a U beam shaper and not flat :x ).

So anyway, got the above and will fit the bike easy, just need to bolt it up and sync away (will put in a new battery). Or do I ....

Question is re the 'cadence battery' - given that it's meant to be a 2015 unit ...

From the Quarq.com Troubleshooting page, the following text is shown ;

Note: All power meters shipped from the factory after August 14, 2014 have accelerometer-based cadence. This includes the Quarq ELSA RS and SRAM XX1 power meters. Accelerometer cadence is a replacement for magnet-based cadence.

Not yet having tried it, how do I identify what 'year' this unit is, and therefore whether it needs a magnet or not (apart from sticking it on and trying the sync ?

Note, I'm waiting for some other parts and about to go riding in Gold Coast, so prob won't be able to do a full install and ride before I head off, just want an idea, so if I do need a magnet, I'll source one and play with it over Xmas.

TIA

CycloVelo

Re: Quarq PM's and the cadence magnet

Postby CycloVelo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:56 am

I reckon you'll be OK.
My single sided Quarq Riken is older than yours and "acquired" the accelerometer cadence with a firmware update.
Good thing too as I had lost the magnet when putting it on a new frame...

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Just spin it in your hand and see if your garmin or whatever picks it up - if it does, you're good to go...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Ridley Noah SL

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Cheers guys, thanks for both the responses, I'll give it a go :)

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:37 pm

if you have a windows or mac machine and an ant dongle you can download Qalvin Legacy here: https://www.quarq.com/product/qalvin-legacy/

update the firmware and you're good to go

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:51 pm

march83 wrote:if you have a windows or mac machine and an ant dongle you can download Qalvin Legacy here: https://www.quarq.com/product/qalvin-legacy/

update the firmware and you're good to go

Don’t have a dongle (that does sound suss !!!) but may investigate

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:25 pm

They're pretty cheap, handy if you ever want to get into zwift or any of the other PC based training suites.

Alternatively, if you can access a phone that has an ant+ chip onboard you could do it that way - the samsung galaxy series had them from S3 to S6 i think. I have an S5 that definitely has one.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Cheers - not a Zwift person (or any trainer) and have an iPhone, so seems like it will be the battery + swing it round + fingers crossed routine !!!

:)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:18 am

If ever you want to perform a slope calibration on an accelerometer model Quarq you'll still need the magnet.

CycloVelo

Postby CycloVelo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:45 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:If ever you want to perform a slope calibration on an accelerometer model Quarq you'll still need the magnet.

Oh, that's interesting. I always thought the slope calibration was only for the strain gauges.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:10 am

I’ll have to do some googling to understand fully what Alex meant in his reply above.

On a separate note, got an email back from Quarq support that my PM has the firmware that does NOT need the magnet, i.e. it has the accelerometer firmware.

Ta

Oh, the # on my PM is 49624AEU if that means anything to anyone :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:35 am

Good news !!!

The Dacia Sandero is now ....

Nah, fitted a new battery last night, spun it around a bit and after a few moments of trepidation, the Bolt picked it up :P :P :P

Went to fit the chaining's I've got (50/34 i.l.o. the 52/36 it came with), and bugger. The inner 34T is a slightly ovalised one that is multifit, so it interferes with some of the Quarq cut-outs, so a teeny bit of filing required. Meh, a job for later.

But happy so far. All of the other stuff that I ordered for my Slate (which this PM is going on) has arrived, so it will be a job to get it all on and going to hit the trails when I get back from the GC

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:55 am

CycloVelo wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:If ever you want to perform a slope calibration on an accelerometer model Quarq you'll still need the magnet.

Oh, that's interesting. I always thought the slope calibration was only for the strain gauges.

It is however the firmware requires triggering of the reed switches for the slope calibration function to operate. You can use any magnet, doesn't have to be a Quarq one, just something near the inner crank spider which will trip the switches when the cranks are rotated.

CycloVelo

Postby CycloVelo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:47 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
CycloVelo wrote:

It is however the firmware requires triggering of the reed switches for the slope calibration function to operate. You can use any magnet, doesn't have to be a Quarq one, just something near the inner crank spider which will trip the switches when the cranks are rotated.

Ah, that makes perfect sense, thanks!