How to report close pass and unregistered vehicles in WA

ausrider

How to report close pass and unregistered vehicles in WA

Postby ausrider » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:24 pm

I did a quick search here as well as WAPOL website but couldn't find any info. The closest online form they have is Hoon reporting form.

A vehicle performed an illegal close pass this morning on our training ride and upon checking the video with the rego clearly seen, we ran the Vehicle rego check and not surprisingly the vehicle is unregistered.

https://online.transport.wa.gov.au/webE ... ation/?16'

How do we go about reporting the unregistered vehicle as well as illegal close passing in WA in an efficient way?

Appreciate your input and if I did miss an existing thread, please delete this.

Thanks.

Ausrider

twowheels

Re: How to report close pass and unregistered vehicles in WA

Postby twowheels » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:38 am

How much info does a vehicle rego check give? Do you mean a public available search?

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:30 am

I use the hoon report form.
Over the years I have learnt not to report in person as statements just vanish & you have no records.
Always do it online, & you will get a reference number via email straight away.
'A day or two later you should receive another reference number. That's what you need to refer to in any correspondence.

You can also use this site to help identify the vehicle, if you are not sure of the model but have the full reg number https://www.revs.com.au/

Make sure you tick the box that says "court witness" otherwise they will do nothing with it.

Do you have a youtube account?
I upload video unlisted & add it to the link in the hoon form. That way I can see if they have viewed it, before calling the driver to "deal with the matter".

Are there any road markings or points of reference on the road that the vehicle may have passed over?
You can use this to demonstrate the relative distance to you. You may need to go back & use a tape measure.

Once you have submitted the online form, it will be sent to the local station for investigation.
You should get a call in 2-3 weeks.

They may ask if you can identify the driver, & if you say no, give you some BS about not being able to do anything.
This is not true. Quote section 34 of the road traffic act;
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... 3/s34.html

Over all the police will use as much subterfuge to avoid applying this law.
In the first 6 months only 4 infringements have been issued in WA.

I'm more than happy to assist you.
Good luck, but expect to be met with resistance to act by police.
They may even blame you for the drivers actions & give excuses for the driver.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:54 am

In Vic if the number plate looks fuzzy at all the police reject the complaint. At least they did with me.

I resubmitted the thing with the plate typed up and a copy of the Vic rego check off the registration site.
Then of course they said it looked ok to them, too hard to prove, driver did nothing against the law etc. And oh yes, I should stay left more on a dual road. And if I feel unsafe enough to submit these videoe's to consider using my car..... :)

I am so appreciative of the police dept help. :)

I have put in clear rego's that were fake and the police say they can do nothing.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:57 am

Still wort reporting, even if you believe it's unregistered.

If the police act, at least they will flag it in their system should they ever come across the plates on a car.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:29 am

Yep I do it as it might be a future or present petrol drive of vehicle. But i have little faith in the cops even bothering to correlate these events. I reckon it is and endless task .
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers