Trek Emonda ALR (5)

Rawshack

Trek Emonda ALR (5)

Postby Rawshack » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Does anyone ride one of these, or give any recommendations? Supposedly lighter than it's Carbon (SL) counterpart

How does it stack up against something like a CAAD12?

Thanks in advance

Al

thecraig

Re: Trek Emonda ALR (5)

Postby thecraig » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Not much help but I’m also seriously considering a 105 hydro disc alr5. The lbs hasn’t got any in to ride and I will be holding out to the tdu to take one for a spin. The reviews are good - I just wish they’d sell the purple flip colourway in the disc (available in the US)

My thinking is that I could put on a good set of wheels and a nice saddle and have a pretty good bike under $3k.

Ps it’s even cheaper if you’re a bupa member - 15% off trek (you might be able to negotiate down if you’re not a member?). Still doesn’t make private health worth it lol

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:59 pm

thecraig wrote:Not much help but I’m also seriously considering a 105 hydro disc alr5. The lbs hasn’t got any in to ride and I will be holding out to the tdu to take one for a spin. The reviews are good - I just wish they’d sell the purple flip colourway in the disc (available in the US)

My thinking is that I could put on a good set of wheels and a nice saddle and have a pretty good bike under $3k.

Ps it’s even cheaper if you’re a bupa member - 15% off trek (you might be able to negotiate down if you’re not a member?). Still doesn’t make private health worth it lol

I took one for a spin earlier this week and they are ridiculously light for an alloy frame... The price tag is keeping me away though (not that it's not good value, just short of $$$)

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:45 pm

Rawshack wrote:words
Hi name buddy!

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Hi name buddy!

What I was thinkin’... :D
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 am

Rorschach wrote:
Hi name buddy!

Hi!

Mine is deliberately misspelt as I can never remember the right way to spell 'Rorschach' :wink:

thecraig

Postby thecraig » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Rawshack wrote:
I took one for a spin earlier this week and they are ridiculously light for an alloy frame... The price tag is keeping me away though (not that it's not good value, just short of $$$)

Did you feel it was overly harsh? There's one review in particular that infers that it's best suited for smooth roads - which is in contrast to several other reviews. The dude at the lbs thought that the CAAD12 would be a much smoother ride than the ALR - which I find interesting given it's more aggressive geometry. I guess it's all pretty subjective anyway.

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:29 pm

thecraig wrote:
Rawshack wrote:

Did you feel it was overly harsh? There's one review in particular that infers that it's best suited for smooth roads - which is in contrast to several other reviews. The dude at the lbs thought that the CAAD12 would be a much smoother ride than the ALR - which I find interesting given it's more aggressive geometry. I guess it's all pretty subjective anyway.

It certainly didn't feel anymore harsh than the contend 1, that's for sure, although I don't know what could be harsher than that. I'm going to give it another go, but it felt light, tight and powerful.