Cycling beginner lessons Melb?? - learn to group ride + use cycling shoes

wheelybike

Cycling beginner lessons Melb?? - learn to group ride + use cycling shoes

Postby wheelybike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:30 pm

I am a beginner cyclist who wants to learn to ride in a group and use cycling shoes (amongst everything else a beginner needs to learn).
I want to be able to join in on group rides, but don't feel confident yet and I don't want to cause an accident because of my inexperience!

Does anyone have any recommendations for private lessons cycling lessons in Melbourne or recommendations for group rides where people will be kind enough teach me on the go? I have a feeling I might be better with a private lesson.

I've contacted a few places I found on google, but if anyone has any recommendations then that would be greatly appreciated.

Tamiya

Re: Cycling beginner lessons Melb?? - learn to group ride + use cycling shoes

Postby Tamiya » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:14 pm

Whereabouts in Melb are you, like around CBD or further out in the 'burbs?

Have not seen any Cycling lessons for adults not kids myself, but fwiw was hanging about at Ray's in Brunswick a few wks ago & overheard a staffer tell another customer there's some groups who can do private tutoring. Perhaps give them a call to ask or drop in if you're passing Sydney Rd.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:42 am

I'm in Brisbane, so no use to you, but my club does regular skills sessions to learn group riding skills. I wonder if any of the Melbourne cycling clubs do anything similar?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:42 am

wheelybike wrote:I am a beginner cyclist who wants to learn to ride in a group and use cycling shoes (amongst everything else a beginner needs to learn).
I want to be able to join in on group rides, but don't feel confident yet and I don't want to cause an accident because of my inexperience!

Does anyone have any recommendations for private lessons cycling lessons in Melbourne or recommendations for group rides where people will be kind enough teach me on the go? I have a feeling I might be better with a private lesson.

I've contacted a few places I found on google, but if anyone has any recommendations then that would be greatly appreciated.
Do you mean you are a beginner to cycling entirely, or a beginner when it comes to riding with and around other cyclists?

If you're brand new to bike riding, then well done for being cautious :) Jumping straight into group riding might be an accident risk.
If however you've been riding a bike for a while, but never around a group, then this link shows lots of helpful short videos on what to expect when riding in a group:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +etiquette

They helped me a lot for when I joined my first group rides. The group will put you at the back and an experienced rider will sit alongside you giving you advice as you go.

As for the clip in cycling shoes, make sure you pedal's clipping mechanism is very loose, and easy to get your foot out of. The first time I ever test rode clip in pedals, the store had the pedals tightened so much I couldn't unclip, and promptly fell over :mrgreen:
On my mountain bike style pedals, I simply need to turn the allen key screw counter clockwise to loosen them. Once you get used to the twisting motion required to release your foot, you can tighten them up if you wish.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Wheelybike, perhaps the shop you bought your gear from has some shop rides, otherwise, go out and check your local cycling club - they have a lot to offer.

Cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:21 pm

I'm sure there'd be some good Melbourne Facebook groups for cyclists that could point you in the right direction. Just say you're looking for a beginner friendly group ride.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Mububban wrote:Do you mean you are a beginner to cycling entirely, or a beginner when it comes to riding with and around other cyclists?
Tis. If you are completely new to cycling, then I'd recommend not clipins and avoiding riding around others.

As with all things though, it takes a while to learn and expect to fall off a few times. Everyone has a storyabout clip stacks. Some of us even though proficient still clip stack once in a while.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 pm

wheelybike wrote:I am a beginner cyclist who wants to learn to ride in a group and use cycling shoes (amongst everything else a beginner needs to learn).

Using clipless pedals (shoes with cleats that click into the pedals) is not too difficult. If you are really scared of them, try riding around on smooth grass at lower speeds to get to know how to manage them.

The trick is to get one side clipped in, use a gear that is not too small (and not too big) that will let you pedal with one leg if need be and get a bit of speed going, then you can clip in with the other foot.

Clipping out is a twist of the heel, and you do that whenever you expect you need to stop. If you keep one foot clipped in as you stop, then remember to lean the opposite way once stopped so you don't go falling over.

I can't offer advice on Melbourne, I'm not from Victoria - but I will wish you all the best and have fun. :)

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Depending where you are, these guys do a range of rides at a range of paces several times per week:
http://whitehorsecyclists.org.au/
Cheap to join (way cheaper than clubs that also race), offer try before you buy. And some of the old buggers are pretty fast and full of cunning, if that's what you're up for.
I believe there is also a friendly group of mamils and older that takes off from Brunettis in Lygon St Carlton around 7:30-8:00 Saturdays and Sundays - have half a pavlova & coffee each beforehand, down to Black Rock & back, then eat the other half of the pav.

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Let me know when you're available and I can take you out on Kew Boulevard (there's a good closed circuit you can learn on - crit curcuit). Probably a Sunday is best. Bring all of your gear but be prepared to learn with no clip in pedals initially. I'm not around this weekend - so 12th August. Anyway let me know.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:11 pm

I reckon he must've found something, no additional posts.....

djw47

Postby djw47 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:08 pm

macca33 wrote:I reckon he must've found something, no additional posts.....
Or died in a horrible cleat unclipping accident. :D

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Hahaha