Best app for preloaded map routes?

claudo

Best app for preloaded map routes?

Postby claudo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Just trying to work out the best app so you can download and preload a cycling route that can direct you where to go. Does anyone have a good suggestion???

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best app for preloaded map routes?

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:01 am

For Australia, the short answer is that there are none. All apps rely on their own generated or purchased routes... or OSM, Open Street Maps.

For generated/purchased maps, for Australia these are dissapointing, some are derived from Automotive navigation or just use mathematical guidance derived from map data and in practice are insufficient and frequently flawed... except for the handful of routes, for major cities.

OSM - Open Street Maps rely on community content however actually suffer from being insufficient... far too few routes for decent coverage in Australia. When you then revert to the app or navigation controlled guidance, you then get unsuitable routes.

However there is an answer... Strava which is the most popular cycling app. It's purpose is not creating routes as such, but with the masses of users and user data from real rides, it is the best resource for suitable map/route guidance.

On a side note, the best app you can get for mapping and routes is HERE which is free and you can preload maps from continents, countries and states so can use map and navigation offline. Works very well for driving and is ok for cycling. Google maps snd Routeplanner is the alternative however requires an internet connection.

A further alternative is to plan routes and grab other gpx files from cyclists and use these as guides for specific journeys. For example bloggers who have documents a ride and provide their data for others.
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:36 am

RideWithGPS lets you create your own routes or find routes created by others, or create routes from tracks which others have ridden.
You can then navigate these routes using the RideWithGPS app.
I have used RideWithGPS to plan many touring routes.
Basic membership is free.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:02 am

It isn't really clear what you are after. Hence a diverse response.

Maps.me is quite good for mapping and navigation when you don't have cell phone coverage. I haven't used it for cycling but it is great for navigation on and off road, it has most walking and cycling tracks marked on PROPER maps.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:51 pm

Map my Ride is also a good site, and you can push the .gpx file down to your garmin easily.

Kev.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Maps.me app is good if using your phone. You download the app and then the map (preferably using WiFi instead of your data) and you have options of driving, walking or cycling. Once the map of the city/country is downloaded to your phone then you can call it up and use it to navigate and it doesn't use any data. I used it while o/s and it was pretty good, can get a bit confusing for the GPS if in tight city areas with lots of narrow streets and tall buildings.

claudo

Postby claudo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:08 pm

human909 wrote:It isn't really clear what you are after. Hence a diverse response.

Maps.me is quite good for mapping and navigation when you don't have cell phone coverage. I haven't used it for cycling but it is great for navigation on and off road, it has most walking and cycling tracks marked on PROPER maps.

Looking to ride common routes from A to B that are done rather regularly by other cyclists, of which i have never done before (or done just following people without taking much notice where we are) So looking to have my android phone on my stem and to have a route that ppl have done before loaded onto the phone/app to help direct me where to go. Thats basically what im looking for. Dont really need voice by voice directions just a helping hand to make my way that others have done before. Thanks

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Get the Strava app. Go to Strava and look at the heat maps to see regular ride routes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:43 am

Voice navigation is not suited to cycling - a cycle computer like a garmin displays symbols such as arrows along with details to provide the navigation guidance.

Strava is the best starting point to find routes - often the sheep mentality of looking for the most common / popular routes is a good idea because they are more likely to be suitable for cycling. You can grab the GPX data and use with other apps or devices... or using the Strava app.
Cycling is in my BNA

kb

Postby kb » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 am

Google maps caches pretty well these days. Bit of a pain though build your own route but you can do it to some extent with waypoints. I just use Garmin courses on the few occasions that I need to or Strava if it's part of a club route or similar and I've left it to late to load onto the Garmin

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Try Komoot.

mstaniszczak

Postby mstaniszczak » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:12 pm

If you use Android mobile, you can try Navmin for Android + Navmin application/widget for your Garmin. It allow you create route on mobile, get it from Garmin application/widget (look for it in Garmin ConnectIQ applicatrions). It also have option "take ma home" accessed directly from Garmin (you can ride wherever you want, and when you decide back to home, choose "take me home", your Garmin ask phone to generate route, and will navigate you back - remeber first define your home address in Android application:) And newest feature is possibility to import TCX files as a segments.

Zoki

Postby Zoki » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 am

BugsBunny wrote:Try Komoot.
Looks good to me... Thanks mate!