Australian Designed Bike Rack

DanAn

Australian Designed Bike Rack

Postby DanAn » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:17 am

A while back I saw on the news or current affair an Australian inventor/engineer had designed a vertical bike rack that you wheel in and then use some sort of rail system that shifted it to a vertical standing position. Does anybody have any idea where I can find some information. Did it ever take off and is it commercially available?

Note: This was not the Ned Kelly system

duncanm

Re: Australian Designed Bike Rack

Postby duncanm » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:05 pm

DanAn wrote:A while back I saw on the news or current affair an Australian inventor/engineer had designed a vertical bike rack that you wheel in and then use some sort of rail system that shifted it to a vertical standing position. Does anybody have any idea where I can find some information. Did it ever take off and is it commercially available?

Note: This was not the Ned Kelly system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srHIJ18DwA8

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:09 pm

I eagerly clicked on this thread expecting to find something made of recycled eucalyptus oil bottles to hang my panniers off ...
Go!Run!GAH!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:25 pm

At 0:52 the mechanism at the base looks to me to be releasing, presumably, a hidden weight or loaded spring that aids in the bike climbing and makes it all look so effortless. But the act of bringing it back DOWN, which would reset the weight or spring, also looks effortless.

With or without some form of weights or spring it looks like a clever idea that would be useful for my family. And therefore to me who gets to do the heavy lifting. (Fortunately they never persevere with riding so I don't get call on too often.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:26 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:At 0:52 the mechanism at the base looks to me to be releasing, presumably, a hidden weight or loaded spring that aids in the bike climbing and makes it all look so effortless. But the act of bringing it back DOWN, which would reset the weight or spring, also looks effortless.
Quite true. It is a spring system.

It works because a bike isn't really that heavy, just awkward. So you only need a light lift on the front to raise the front while the rear wheel is on the ground. Likewise, pull the rear backwards while pushing slightly down on the front will stretch the spring without much trouble.

More information here:
http://parkis.eu/wp-content/uploads/201 ... GLISH-.pdf